Author Topic: Steve Roach News  (Read 35307 times)

DeepR

• View Profile
Altus and Infinite Shore are simply fixed at number 1 and 2. But I'm open for discussion about his third best piece and everything below that. :P

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
"Slowly Revealed" is a great track...I love the feel of it

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
I edited Immersion's post above and added a comment explaining why I edited it, but in case some people missed my comment, I'd like to clarify that we really shouldn't be directing people toward places to download ambient music for free.  I'm not trying to vilify Immersion because he DID pay for a copy of the CD in the first place (and I don't blame him for wanting to hear the music right away, once it was paid for), just pointing out that making it easier for other people to obtain ambient music without buying it will only hurt the artists and labels in this genre.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I am of the opinion that it is a human right to download the album and hear it before I decide to buy it. I do not feel like spending money on an album that I do not like.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
I am of the opinion that it is a human right to download the album and hear it before I decide to buy it. I do not feel like spending money on an album that I do not like.

if you download it, why would you then buy it? that's why artists post samples of the music. and if it is an established artist - as, i believe, steve roach is - shouldn't that be enough? i will even go on a label's integrity as i did with steve brand. i trusted that hypnos would release only quality music and the samples turned out to be quite representative.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
An infringement of human rights - now that is serious.

But really, I see a significant flaw in this argument. As Jim pointed out, thats why artists provide
mp3 samples. They are samples - if you want to hear an album in its entirety, then you can
buy it and support the artist.

I would imagine this is a touchy point on this forum, as it is frequented by so many artists.
Interesting to see how quickly this album got pirated.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Let's move any philosophical discussion on downloading pirated music, previews, samples, etc... To a different thread, please.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

einstein36

• View Profile
Well dummy me accidentally put in the wrong expiration date for my credit card, delayed the mailing of the cd I purchased, I had to re-order the thing Friday, so now I am checking the mailbox every hour:)......
is it here yet??? Is it here yet, is it here yet hahahahah
I too am going to love this album from the 5 minute samples that the steve roach site put up on their site and btw people...I listened to the samples over and over again and realized these weren't just .30 second ones, but almost 5 minute ones to get into the drones, etc to fully appreciate the songs and the full scope of this album..
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com

A "human right?"  Gosh, who can argue with "human rights?"  That makes it sound so noble.

Maybe a slightly less euphemistic way of saying what you just said is that you think piracy/bootlegging is OK as long as you buy CDs of the downloaded materials you like best.

While that's a better approach that just downloading everything you want, and never buying anything, don't mistake this as a "human right" -- it's still a violation of the rights of the artists and labels in question.  Considering the number of independent artists and labels who visit this Forum, not to mention the fact that this Forum is owned by maintained by a record label, we're not going to get into pushing a point of view that piracy or bootlegging is harmless or a "human right."  Sheesh.

And again, giving people links or names of places where they can download pirated ambient music will not be accepted here.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
Let's move any philosophical discussion on downloading pirated music, previews, samples, etc... To a different thread, please.

I was going to respond but these words of wisdom had the desired effect, after all this is a Steve Roach thread....

...and everyone's reports on the CD so far sound great - should order asap - but just ordered heroes series 1 and 2.....

drone on

• View Profile
Please shutup and post some MP3 samples of the new HSS disc by Steve Brand, or I may have to pirate it.  ;D

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Please shutup and post some MP3 samples of the new HSS disc by Steve Brand, or I may have to pirate it.  ;D

:o

There are clips here http://www.hypnos.com/releases-sbr-coa.php
... though I haven't finished writing the description yet!

Now, back to Steve Roach's 2 new ones.

Ekstasis

• View Profile

A "human right?"  Gosh, who can argue with "human rights?"  That makes it sound so noble.

Maybe a slightly less euphemistic way of saying what you just said is that you think piracy/bootlegging is OK as long as you buy CDs of the downloaded materials you like best.

While that's a better approach that just downloading everything you want, and never buying anything, don't mistake this as a "human right" -- it's still a violation of the rights of the artists and labels in question.  Considering the number of independent artists and labels who visit this Forum, not to mention the fact that this Forum is owned by maintained by a record label, we're not going to get into pushing a point of view that piracy or bootlegging is harmless or a "human right."  Sheesh.

And again, giving people links or names of places where they can download pirated ambient music will not be accepted here.

This is an philosophical debate, I respect your opinion I hope you respect mine. Even though we live in an capitalistic market economy I think, no music holds an financial value, I do not agree with the thought that you must "pay" to hear music. It might have been so in the past when labels did not gives any other choice,  but now and in the future the music will flow free thanks to internet and file sharing, and I see this a good thing to let culture and information flow free.

I have no interest to protect Hollywood or the MTV top 100 mass produced crap industry. I only care about independent music which is not made to gain financial profit but only inner satisfaction and pleasure. We live in an time where almost every person can create music, build their own home studio and record music, you no longer need expensive studios to record music. Anyway, I have no respect for artists who "demand" money in return to listen to their music, it is something very wrong about that.

Maybe you are unaware, but the cd format and physical music media is dying a slow death. In future, we will need no labels or middle hands...who steals the artists income... And remember, the cd sale has always been a very little part of the income for artists, since the labels take everything, unless you have your own label of course... you get the most of the income by doing live shows and sell shirts etc

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
still bullshit. if you want to eat a muffin you need to buy one. if you steal it, its fucking illegal.
if you want to listen to music that was released on a cd or vinyl record, you need to buy it.
if you download it, its stealing which means its illegal. its that simple. thats no question of
personal opinions. its a simple fact that you need to understand. do you go into a cd store
and steal some cds just to check them out at home and see if you are into them? i doubt
that.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
OK.
How about we respect this Steve Roch thread and move this discussion to a new one.
I'll start it now, with Immersion's recent statement quoted first.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Immersion: I started a thread on this in the Everything and Nothing section. Use that for this download topic -- or do you also think forums should be used only how YOU want to you them !  :(
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:56:33 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
Should artists who are trying to make a living paint pictures and give them away for free?  This is why I hate how the Internet has f**ked up the music industry as much as it has helped it in some ways* (*by giving people more exposure to new music).  It seems some people just don't want to pay anything for music anymore and don't see it as buying a piece of art, they see it as "too expensive" so they decide to steal it (burn copies for/from friends, download illegally, etc.) instead of pay the artist.  If you were an ambient artist and spent a lot of time creating your music, how would you like it if you weren't getting paid for your time/efforts?  ???

drone on

• View Profile
Received this Monday and must say it is an excellent pure atmo work from Steve.  The Magnificent Void has come to Earth and vacationing in the Sonoran desert.  Especially effective at high volume on a good pair of closed-ear headphones.  Turn it up, feel it in your bones!!!  ;D

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
Received this Monday and must say it is an excellent pure atmo work from Steve.  The Magnificent Void has come to Earth and vacationing in the Sonoran desert.  Especially effective at high volume on a good pair of closed-ear headphones.  Turn it up, feel it in your bones!!!  ;D

Yes! I have been headphoning it as well, it's amazing.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
We have copies of the latest from Steve Roach, as well as some restocks, coming into the Hypnos store soon... just an FYI for those who are about to purchase other items from Hypnos soon and may wish to add Dynamic Stillness.