Author Topic: Steve Roach News  (Read 34321 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
I finally found "Dynamic Stillness" 2CD in my mailbox yesterday. Don't have too many words, just absolutely amazing, both musically and visually. I am proud to be an owner of this masterpiece!!!

Richard (Bratislava, Slovakia)

Immersion

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach News
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »
Two more albums are announced...

"Currently in creation mode, some new releases are underway Immersion: Four, Destination Beyond, and announcing a third new release, Afterlight. Afterlight was created in the post-resonate space of the double-CD Dynamic Stillness, and could easily be considered the third disc to this work. These three new releases will arrive in a few months.

Along with the individual releases, a special box set will be offered for the first 500 copies. This high quality box was crafted in Germany�with special artwork, and�each will be signed and numbered�by�Steve."

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2009, 11:59:55 AM »
I'm disappointed.  I thought there'd be AT LEAST five more releases this year.  ;)

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »
I've been so busy in my life I've barely even started to digest "Dynamic Stillness."  May hold off on purchasing for a bit.

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 10:32:43 PM »
I've been so busy in my life I've barely even started to digest "Dynamic Stillness."  May hold off on purchasing for a bit.

Me either I have been waiting...

I did receive my new soundcard once for all somedays ago...so I will do my first deep liten in bed
tomorrow..and we will see how the soundworlds will transform me..

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
a tiny preview of the upcoming Destination Beyond including a larger cover image (good for ipod cover flow) :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Destination-Beyond-Steve-Roach/dp/B002JODUR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1250175197&sr=1-1

after his excellent Dynamic Stillness i'm certainly looking forward to his 3 new upcoming releases, all presented in a limited boxset  8)

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
CD descriptions, artwork and audio samples has been uploaded for the 3 upcoming releases, Destination Beyond, Afterlight and Immersion Four.

http://steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?albumID=424
http://steveroach.com/store/store.php?item=430
http://steveroach.com/store/store.php?item=431

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
Thanks for the update, Immersion.

In hearing the samples, I understand why Steve's releasing these in a box-set option.  These separate releases all have the same general feel, and could easily be considered parts 1, 2 & 3 of a single release.

It believe "Immersion: Four" could quickly become my favourite of the series.
However, I will definitely be ordering the box set.  Summer's almost over, and I believe it will make for some very deep fall/winter nights.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »
The upcoming releases seem to be very good all of them... I will buy the boxset for sure...

Was never really satisfied with Dynamic Stillness, I can't get into it for some reason..my mind is blank when I hear it... What is missing is some environmental sounds..water sounds etc,. I think..to fill the void.. I have tried really hard... I imagine myself as an weightless bird in the wind drifting in the sky an murky day the sun can barely see through the clouds..but is creating an illuminating bright white light in the sky...  
The water is lively, and I am flowing up and down, to right and left  in symmetry with the music and soundworld/sound drones...I am seeing the coast and high mountains as on the cover...I am flying in this landscape... in the rain...yeah.. something is missing that is for sure...Yeah some rain sounds would fit good also... and the production and sound is not as good as I could expect..the sound sounds almost "raw" in my ears... not as soft... have he an different reverb unit on this album or something ?  And at last, I think that not all pieces do fit together on the cd, some of the pieces sound more like "immersion" but much shorter... yeah...all pieces do not fit as an entity...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:10:57 PM by Immersion »

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2009, 04:20:38 AM »
The problem I have with Dynamic Stillness are some of the tracks lengths.

I find that 'Birth of Still Places' is too active and the main loop too short to be a 40 minute track.  It seems to never resolve itself and sort of grates on my nerves.  Clearly 20 minutes too long. ;)
Whereas you have the too-short tracks 'Opening Sky' & 'Nature of Things', which seem to end just as they get started.
'Slowly Revealed' is perfection to me.

Personally I found the sound design on-par with his other releases.  There are some harsher tones and washes in the mid to high end, but I'm going to assume that was by design.  While I have no problem with environmental sounds to complement music, I think it would be a detriment to this release and out of place for what he was trying to achieve.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »
Birth Of places are too long..and does not lead to anywhere...this is what I feel...
What Altus say about the loop is not enough I think...is "right"

I disagree that the sound design is on par with his other releases...
To mee it sounds little bit raw and not as processed and deeply layered.
To me it sounds almost like an live recording...and that he have not adjusted each detail to perfection,...
Well nevermind...these new upcoming releases seem to sound way better...

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »
I became annoyed during my first real listenings of Dynamic Stillness on headphones. Worked many hours last night on an art piece, with the album playing. Strange, that although I did feel annoyed at first, when I finally tried to put something else on later in the night, my mind revolted. Listening to Dynamic Stillness again, I felt like I undertood it a bit more. It is like a muffled harkening back to the roots of ambient. Many beautiful sounds are presented, but they are pushed into the back, making them sound like an ancient version of Eno. I am finding tonight (listening to it again) that this is an album of deep emotion for Roach. It is very subtle, but if given a chance, absolutely gorgeous. Differnt from other works, definitely does feel more raw and less processed. This could be considered a challenging release, one that really requires a bit of patience to uncover the majesty. I am getting exponentially deeper into it with each listen. I see that initial annoyance and impatience as a good sign. After that long night of inspired painting, I realized how helpful the music had actually been. There is no one like Steve Roach for inspiring visual creativity, and offering propulsion and fuel to extended hours of work.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »
Listening to all 3 sound samples on Steve's website. I think this is going to be one of Steve's best releases in years. Although I do like Dynamic and Landmass. The long format does it for me. I can throw the cd's in my disc changer, hit play and chill out for 4 hours or so. I am looking forward to the release of this special 3cd box set. Hope to see a follow-up concert with the release of these 3 cd's.  ;) ;)

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »
It sounds nice, but I do hope it won't be too much of the same.
I know that with his minimal, long form pieces, change is often found in little subtleties, but these days I simply must have considerable variation in sound after 10-15 minutes or so.
I especially hope there's some serious variation and progression in dynamics and intensity on Destination Beyond, since that's the more active release, but I doubt it somehow...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:08:40 PM by DeepR »

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:36 PM »
It sounds nice, but I do hope it won't be too much of the same.
I know that with his minimal, long form pieces, change is often found in little subtleties, but these days I simply must have considerable variation in sound after 10-15 minutes or so.
I especially hope there's some serious variation and progression in dynamics and intensity on Destination Beyond, since that's the more active release, but I doubt it somehow...

This is not fast food you know...  This is minimalistic psychoactive music in it's highest order... but yeah on the surface it is more of the same I guess...but you never know where these soundworlds will take you..That is the beauty of it..
Just close your eyes and releax...and let the music transform you into your inner worlds and dreams...
The music is what you make it to be... it is up to your consciousness to decide where this music will take you...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:19:14 PM by Immersion »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
These endless debates are about as much fun as watching paint dry.  "First I found it annoying, but then Ioved its subtle psychoactive beauty.  But then I listened again and hated it!"  I can just imagine the new mini-novels to be written when these CD's are actually released.  :-)

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
If you want more radio friendly and commercial ambient music which does not demand a long attention span.....there is maybe better music for you.
But we all perceive music different, even the Immersion series I think sounds EXTREMELY DYNAMIC and there is CONSTANT VARIATIONS in the music...
My advice is...listen deeper...  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:30:39 PM by Immersion »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2009, 01:31:24 AM »
Dude I love Steve Roach' music and most of the releases mentioned... but I'm still a bit specific about what I like. I also love it when it gets more active and varied.
What I don't like is 70 minute long pieces that are meant as background sound that are virtually the same thing all the time (darkest before dawn).

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
when i first started reading this discussion i was a little put off. as i got into it, however, i found that the subtle insights and deep thoughts stirred my interest. then i read it again and i hated it.
i suppose that i will write a huge harry potter size novel when it is finished.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2009, 07:16:30 AM »
Dude I love Steve Roach' music and most of the releases mentioned... but I'm still a bit specific about what I like. I also love it when it gets more active and varied.
What I don't like is 70 minute long pieces that are meant as background sound that are virtually the same thing all the time (darkest before dawn).

Darkest before dawn is not background sound or elevator music...To me the music is very active...and dynamic..
It require your full attention and consciousness. If you do not focus it will quickly
turn into elevator music I am sure...But yeah..I respect we all have different music tastes...so no problem...