Author Topic: Steve Roach News  (Read 35298 times)

ambient789

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach News
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »
Given that Immersion: Three had 3 discs, I was hoping that Immersion: Four would have 4 discs!  :D

I'll take what I can get though from Steve!  :)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »
Put on Dynamic Stillness last night.  Seems to me SR used to be an innovator with truly "dynamic" sounds. Lately he seems to operate more as "ambient DJ," he has fallen into a niche and now gives the people what they want and expect rather than explore new territory.  I was totally bored and uninterested by the MP3 samples of the three new ones, it all sounds recycled from DS sessions to these ears.  ::)

spectral67

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2009, 03:42:01 AM »
I think Dynamic Stillness is stunning, a real masterpiece, beautiful and mysterious. These new albums sound fantastic, I can`t wait to give them a good listen, I`m immersed in his and David Parsons music at the moment.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Dynamic Stillness--great packaging/artwork, b-o-r-i-n-g music.  Masterpiece="Origins." The effects are taking over, now it's one long loop of reverb.   

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
I too enjoy Dynamic Stillness except maybe for "Birth of still places" which i find a tad too long and repetitive and the upcoming boxset sounds delightful but....i also miss his more tribal period and all the great collabs with Vir Unis, Byron Metcalf or Vidna Obmana. The golden period to my ears were between 1994 to 2002 with 1999 to 2001 riding on a great high. So many great releases then, all so different one from another, each full of surprises and offering a unique and adventurous listening experience . Now that he seems to oscillate between pure atmospheric and sequencer music albums i am starting to known what to expect, of course always in a more polished and purified way, can't deny the evolution in sound and control of his instruments. I think the last time i was taken by surprise was with "Possible Planet" and the "Fever Dreams" serie, especially Part II.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
Dynamic Stillness is reminding me of how I felt when first hearing Aphex's SAWII. Gorgeous vistas, deep, strange emotion. I like that muffled, distant quality that seems to be grating on some. I am on the fence some times about how much Roach stays in his comfort zone. I think he has evolved his music slowly but surely over the years, so huge changes are only apparent over time. But that is what makes his work enduring, and what continues to bring people back to it, and new fans. Looking at it overall, there is a great variance and willingness to be challenged and to challenge the listener. Just listened to Possible Planet, that is one amazing record. I see Roach as a musician who follows his vision, not much worried about whiny fans or non fans or once were fans. I think he goes with what inspires him, what he feels, and if you want to go along for the ride, do it. Mainly, I enjoy using his music for visual work. The way he structures his work makes it excellent for this purpose, whatever creative mood is required.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
What I find amazing about Steve's music is that despite our different opinions about which albums/styles we like or dislike, I don't see any comments slagging off the quality of the music. There is no sense of this 'period' versus that 'period' like I have seen about other longstanding musicians/groups.

I think that says a lot for his creative energies and visions from which his music comes.

Generally I find the sequencer driven music hard to listen to (yet really enjoy the fractal groove stuff like Blood Machine) and could not get into Fever Dreams at all - But I can tell it is good music, even if I don't enjoy it myself.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
Yeah. When it comes to output quantity and consistency in quality he is unlike any other electronic artist I know. He is more like a famous classical composer, or a painter, who made a lot of works that are all considered good, better and great.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »
I've been listening to Dynamic Stillness a little more lately.  I'm coming around to it.  Don't know if my lack of complete engagement with it is my fault or his yet, but I'm willing to give the album plenty of time to grow with me.  It's pretty dense. 

The problem I have (as many others do) is "Birth of Still Places."  It's just a massive hurdle on the album to overcome right out of the gate.  At this point I'm thinking it would have been better off suited at the end of the first or maybe somewhere on the second disc.  Just not used to something so extreme right at the beginning of an album like that. 

I'm hoping I get used to it and that it will be one of the attractions of the record.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
Slowly Revealed is the gem of Dynamic Stillness for me.
I'll often jump straight to it or play an earlier track or two in anticipation.
I like this disc for sleeping too.

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Roach News: Two upcoming albums "Dynamic Stillness" & "Destination Bey
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2009, 02:10:29 AM »
Dynamic Stillness is available for pre-order:
http://steveroach.com/store/store.php?item=418

Amazing I check the page for mp3 samples every day :)
This I am sure will be the album of the year.

Best album so far is Deathspell Omega - Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum: Chaining the Katechon

This is a bit off topic but I'm glad to see albums like Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale and Deathspell Omega - Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum: Chaining the Katechon mentioned here by some members.
It seems like you guys here also like a very broad spectrum of music.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2009, 12:49:24 AM »
All right, accuse me of being a fanboy. I couldn't resist, I ordered the box set. Steve Roach is clever in this current approach. I am thinking he should just start a subscription service and send out the albums on that basis. I am continually interested in what he is doing musically. It most definitely is like a painting, has that immediate power, but also is something you want to listen to months or years down the road.

I am curious to see how quickly the 500 boxes sell out. How much music does an ambient master at the top of his game sell these days?

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »
All right, accuse me of being a fanboy. I couldn't resist, I ordered the box set. Steve Roach is clever in this current approach. I am thinking he should just start a subscription service and send out the albums on that basis. I am continually interested in what he is doing musically. It most definitely is like a painting, has that immediate power, but also is something you want to listen to months or years down the road.

I am curious to see how quickly the 500 boxes sell out. How much music does an ambient master at the top of his game sell these days?

Also a huge fan of Steve Roach. I would subscribe to Steve's albums. I have them all along with others like Robert Rich, Tangerine Dream, etc. I prefer to purchase the albums on the artist website. But a subsription would be nice too. An automatic payment.

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »
Dynamic Stillness--great packaging/artwork, b-o-r-i-n-g music.  Masterpiece="Origins." The effects are taking over, now it's one long loop of reverb.   

We heard you the first time, nob head.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
Nobhead? Nice, I see we have reverted to second grade name-calling.  Very original.  Actually, I was just repeating myself as I thought you were deaf and ignorant.  Plus I thought you had slunk away from this website after being publicly flogged.  Guess you are still hanging around for more punishment. But I wish you would just go away.  :-*

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
Everyone cool it, please.  Personal insults of other forum members aren't acceptable here.

Why is it Steve Roach discussions always get as heated as the political and religious debates?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
Because Steve is GOD and you're either with us or against us.  Can I get an Amen?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »
I am curious to see how quickly the 500 boxes sell out.

You won't have to wait long, Steve told me this morning he is already almost sold out.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »
Indeed.
http://steveroach.com/News/news.php#110
As of September 16th, only about 75 copies remain! The CD's will continue to be sold individually after the Box Set sells-out.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »
Because Steve is GOD and you're either with us or against us.  Can I get an Amen?

You're much closer to the truth than you realize, I think. Or maybe you know you're on point. Either way, you are.