Author Topic: what's the oldest piece of electronic gear you still use?  (Read 11510 times)

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
what's the oldest piece of electronic gear you still use?
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
Mine would have to be the Ensoniq EPS. It's somewhere around 20 years old at this point, all original parts. It's almost always been "garaged" though, I only used it in few live shows. I know the original owner never played live with it. I'm surprised the floppy drive still works, considering it's proprietary. Murphy's Law loves proprietary stuff.

Brett

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: what's the oldest piece of electronic gear you still use?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
I have a Roland SH-101 synthesizer from 1985 or so, the first synth I ever bought.  But I really don't use it very often. 

I have a Roland D-50 that I bought used in 1995 or so but the original owner bought it when it first came out, in 1987, and I still use that from time to time.  I do really like that synth.  It's never needed any kind of repair.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Good topic - and I like the qualifier.

I adopted a policy many years back of not selling old gear as long as I wasn't broke
so I have lots of my older gear - but they only come into play now and then.

So other than some old pedals and my guitars the oldest synth that I use constantly
is my Roland JD-990 and the oldest that I use semi-regularly (1-4 times/year) are
my Moog Modular (an expanded/modified System 15) and Korg Monopoly. (The Korg has an
empty spot on the top left that's great for placing effects units for quick manipulation.)
They both get played out from time to time - see pix.

Moog at the top of the back pile/JD-990 at the bottom.
That's my girl Lynn Harrigan on the right reading from her book of poetry Moon Sea Crossing.

Not a clear shot of the Korg Monopoly I'm playing but the photo has a good vibe.  :)
That's Jim Field of spacenoiz and Rhea's Obsession on the left.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »
My oldest synths are a Korg Mono/Poly and Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, from 1982

I bought both used and they aren't in the greatest cosmetic condition but are both still fully functional. I worry that they have a limited life left but intend to make the most of them whilst they are still working as they both sound really nice

I've gigged them both on occasion and will probably continue to do so as they sound even nicer through a good PA :)

I've got a Prophet VS and Matrix 12 too and have taken the VS to virtually every gig I've played since I bought it, but haven't used the Matrix 12 live yet

Here's the Prophet 5 and VS on stage

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:00:10 PM by modulator_esp »

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
Good topic - and I like the qualifier.

I adopted a policy many years back of not selling old gear as long as I wasn't broke
so I have lots of my older gear - but they only come into play now and then.

So other than some old pedals and my guitars the oldest synth that I use constantly
is my Roland JD-990 and the oldest that I use semi-regularly (1-4 times/year) are
my Moog Modular (an expanded/modified System 15) and Korg Monopoly. (The Korg has an
empty spot on the top left that's great for placing effects units for quick manipulation.)
They both get played out from time to time - see pix.

Moog at the top of the back pile/JD-990 at the bottom.
That's my girl Lynn Harrigan on the right reading from her book of poetry Moon Sea Crossing.

Not a clear shot of the Korg Monopoly I'm playing but the photo has a good vibe.  :)
That's Jim Field of spacenoiz and Rhea's Obsession on the left.

Great photos!

I've always had a dream of someday owning what I refer to as a "switchboard" synth. I had a synthesis class in school years ago and we got to use one, though I have no idea what it was. There was no keyboard, we just dialed in sounds and triggered them from a button on the synth. Lots of patch cords, it was beautiful.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
My Shure SM57 from 1970 is without a doubt my oldest piece still in use. After that would be my 1972 Lincoln Les Paul copy and then my SCI Prophet 2002 sampler from the mid '80's. I also have a Guild copycat. Not shure how old that is. I have some other old gear , but I'm not really using it, now,    Harry
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:31:06 PM by hdibrell »
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
Oldest I still use is probably the TX-7, the box version of the venerable DX-7 from the 80's.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »
I still use my Digitech TSR-24 effects unit, which is from the mid-80s.  I would still use my Korg MS-20, but it's currently in storage.  Ditto for my Prophet 5.

Forrest

<btw--modulator_esp - Thanks for sharing your live set.  Enjoyed it.  Looks like it was quite an evening.>

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
My oldest synths are a Korg Mono/Poly and Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, from 1982

I bought both used and they aren't in the greatest cosmetic condition but are both still fully functional. I worry that they have a limited life left but intend to make the most of them whilst they are still working as they both sound really nice

I've gigged them both on occasion and will probably continue to do so as they sound even nicer through a good PA :)

I've got a Prophet VS and Matrix 12 too and have taken the VS to virtually every gig I've played since I bought it, but haven't used the Matrix 12 live yet

Here's the Prophet 5 and VS on stage

Jez - All that gear must be quite a project just to transport and setup for your shows!
How long does it take you to setup, troubleshoot and soundcheck?

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
Jez - All that gear must be quite a project just to transport and setup for your shows!

I guess around 30 minutes to an hour, depending how much stuff I take. The worst bit for that gig was getting it all up two flights of stairs to the room

Nowadays I'm using a more streamlined setup which is a bit easier to put together

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:40:09 AM »

I guess around 30 minutes to an hour, depending how much stuff I take. The worst bit for that gig was getting it all up two flights of stairs to the room

Nowadays I'm using a more streamlined setup which is a bit easier to put together

30-60 minutes for all that gear is pretty darn efficient IMO.
Nice to see that you're still using your old Nord Modular along with your Nord GS.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:02:16 AM »

30-60 minutes for all that gear is pretty darn efficient IMO.
Nice to see that you're still using your old Nord Modular along with your Nord GS.

I seem to get lots of practice :)

the old Nord Modular is still good and has a different sound to the new one. I use it more for midi-synced sequencer/drone/fx type stuff so its keyboard is free to play stuff from the Proteus 2000

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
The oldest I bought new is my Korg DSS-1 synth and Korg SDD-1200 delay.   I use both on just about everything I write.   Both are roughly 1987.

I acquired a Juno 106 and Prophet 600 which both date to early/mid 80's.    My piano is from the late 70's or early 80's - the last model year for Yamaha uprights still made in Japan before they moved production to N. America.   My main bass is a G&L L1000 and I think it's early 80's era.    My other bass is an earlier 70's Gibson Grabber.    My beat up almost doesn't work bought from my ex-boss' husband who found it in a pawn shop Gretsch solid body electric is rumored to be 1959/1960 era.   My trumpet was bought new when I was in 5th grade... :-)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
I have a late 70's Rhodes MKI and a 1973 Rhodes keybass, both see quite a bit of use in my studio. I will probably be using the keybass live this fall. Korg Wavedrum I guess could also be considered "vintage".

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »
My piano is from the late 70's or early 80's - the last model year for Yamaha uprights still made in Japan before they moved production to N. America.   My main bass is a G&L L1000 and I think it's early 80's era.    My other bass is an earlier 70's Gibson Grabber.    My beat up almost doesn't work bought from my ex-boss' husband who found it in a pawn shop Gretsch solid body electric is rumored to be 1959/1960 era.   My trumpet was bought new when I was in 5th grade... :-) 

If we're including acoustic instruments, I'll have to include my violin, which I've had since grade school, and my mandolin, which I bought on a whim while in high school.

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »
Ha!  I totally missed that key "electronic" word in the subject. 

...Just one of the many things that go wrong when I reply on my blackberry!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »
Roland U20, nice arpeggiator(latchable), two chord memory buttons, lots of great sounds that sit well, no filters - but then that makes you concentrate more on the composition, and some nice effects. I also have an MT32 and R5 but they're collecting dust even though they're still very usable.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:28:15 AM by sraymar »
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
Hi Steve - I've kept a U220 around if only for the strings and choirs. They're just beautiful.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:44 AM »
Hi Steve - I've kept a U220 around if only for the strings and choirs. They're just beautiful.

Hey Scott,

I've got the ethnic card with some nice kotos, tablas, sitars and flutes. An interesting thing to do with in drum kit mode is make up a set of detuned drums and other sounds(roll off the attack), then use the pitch bend on them(with lots of cross-echo of course), gets kinda freaky. If you're into drums and bass you can make up a combo drums and bass set, its like getting an extra channel or more if you put a couple more sounds in it. Its also nice to layer with other synths too. 

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
Mine's a model D MiniMOOG, which I just recently had refurbished.  Sounds great! - J.