Author Topic: Steve Roach discussion  (Read 58348 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Roach discussion
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
May end up picking up A Deeper Silence...I'm finding that all the Immersions just might be the most listened to Roach that I have. Listen to them almost every night, moving from one to the next every week or so...I like them all in a different way (Immersion 2, for instance, is great for late night reading of H.P. Lovecraft!). And the effect is really interesting when the volume is played with. Different parts seem to come out, like it is a whole different work, at very low volume. Finding also that this is the only music that my wife will tolerate for sleep time, so that is another plus for me...

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
My first experience with electronic music happened back in 1977. I was in a conversation with a friend at work over Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, etc. The next day he brought in an "Album" (remember them?) Tangerine Dream Thief soundtrack. Even though not their best album, I was hooked. I must of went out and bought every TD album I could find. Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre(who I just saw in Frankfurt performing Oxygene-WOW!), Micheal Garrison, etc. followed. It was'nt till early 1994 I was out at Deep Creek Hot Springs doing whatever we do at the springs, when at night I came across the radio show Hearts Of Space playing Robert Rich and Steve Roach. That was the beginning of my Steve Roach trip. I will never forget that night. Early the next morning the Northridge earthquake hit Socal. My first Roach CD was The Magnificent Void. First show was at a coffee shop in Santa Monica in 1996(first of 9 concerts-Tucson 1997 my favorite). I picked up Well Of Souls at the show and I still go back to that cd every couple of weeks. One of my favs. Since then I have all of Steve's cd's and enjoy it all, some more than others. I have my choice cd's that I take out to the desert when I go camping. I have the cd's when I'm just chillin at home or on the road. I am looking forward to A Deeper Silence and hope to see him in Flagstaff later this year. For now, I will be heading out to the desert this weekend and chillin' to some Steve Roach and other ambient music to the night skies and campfire. . . .with some good beer and . . . . . well, you know the rest!

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
For now, I will be heading out to the desert this weekend and chillin' to some Steve Roach and other ambient music to the night skies and campfire

Yeah...That's the spirit. Enjoy  ;)

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2008, 07:06:25 AM »
Hey guys!  First time post here.  Had to bump this thread  ;D

I've been a long time Roach fan after I got hooked on the Ambient genre care of Aphex Twin, Stars of the Lid, and Eno's stuff.  Kept delving deeper into the genre and bumped head first into this monolithic figure.  I'm planning on buying all of his work eventually (guess that would consider me a fanboy). 

For those who care to know, "A Deeper Silence" is now shipping from his site ($15, I just filled my order).  And I also picked up a host of his other releases that I haven't heard yet (On This Planet, Western Spaces, Immersion One, Innerzone, and Somewhere Else).  A couple of those were inspired by the posts from this thread.

I love Arc of Passion.  I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but it really harkens back to the Berlin School of early ambient.  The Arpeggiated synths remind me a lot of Timewind Klaus Schulze.  But of course Roach doesn't ape his predecessors, he embellishes the style with his creative cavernous synth style that he heavily developed on Mystic Chords.  And Loren, I don't mind the break between disc 1 and 2 at all!  I consider it an intermission (I'd have a cigarette if I smoked).

Most of you I know love the guy, but if you want to get someone interested in his stuff I'd suggest buying them a copy of "Space and Time."  It's a 20 track mix that Roach created and it runs the gamut.  But it's smoothly put together.  I bough my brother a copy used for a couple bucks and now he's hooked too. 

I find it odd that nearly no one (I think) had mentioned the Magnificent Void yet.  Pretty stunning work, though I don't play it very often.  Almost too deep maybe?

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:16 PM »
Great to see another fan here. Welcome to the forum!

I've been thinking about Magnificent Void lately. I listened to it a few weeks ago and couldn't get into it. I've had it for many years, and always thought it would be one of Roach's best, but have never quite figured it out. I know I've had some epic listens to it years ago, but haven't found the entry point as of late. I think it might work better with headphone listening...and I think I am going to end up really appreciating it at some point, perhaps soon. Much of it is a matter of mood. When an album hits you at just the right time, it is a great experience...many of Roach's works are like that, I think.

Got 'A Deeper Silence' and it is an excellent 'Immersion' style work. This one is going to be a good one for late night reading and sleep. The wife normally dislikes ambient for sleep hours, but I've been putting this on to help her get to sleep, and she hasn't complained, so I guess she likes it. For me, the best sleep albums are this one, Immersion 1, and of course Sleep Chamber from Immersion 3. Surprising and strange phenomenon is that they actually do sound like different works when heard at lower than normal volume. It seems like a simple thing but it is fascinating, like looking at a painting under varying degrees of lighting. The other Immersions I am finding to be actually quite intense. Immersion 2 I have used for reading really deep sci fi and the like, it has that same strange pleasureable/fearful trans-dimensional sense of writers like H.P. Lovecraft. First Light is really intense and (no surprise) is quite nice for early morning...not a very relaxing tone, seems to amp up the mind...

And I concur that it is fun to turn other people on to Roach's music. I've been slowly getting my brother into the man and he will call me weeks later after I've given him albums like Arc of Passion and I can tell that he has really been getting into it...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:02:48 PM by 9dragons »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
A Deeper Silence is perfect late night/sleeping music.  This is one of SR's better long-form Immersion type releases, deep but not "dark."  I like this more than the Immersions or Darkest Before Dawn (which was too bleak for my taste).  My only nitpick on Deeper Silence would be that it never changes, just one repeating loop for the 70-plus minute duration.  Dream Circle and Slow Heat had some variations (however slight), but this one doesn't.  However, it is one hell of a loop. SR shows why he's the master at defining "deep." 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2008, 12:54:17 AM »
The Magnificent Void was my first Steve Roach disc. I loved it then and still do. There are momentsa on it for me where the music creates an internal intensity that just builds and builds, similarly to parts of Irrlicht by Klaus Schulze.

For me, The Magnificent Void is one of the most successful attempts to portray nothingness with something - not an easy thing to do at the best of times

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Seems like the internet is the only place where I find people who actually like Roach's stuff(in addition to an audience at a live show I caught in Palm Springs). I took my brother to Joshua Tree to check out the Milky Way on a cloudless spring night, had the telescope out as well. Then I put on The Magnificant Void on my car stereo, and few minutes after he said he was board looking at the stars he told me to turn off that "eerie shit".

I tried playing some of the same CD for somebody at work and after listening to it for about 10 minutes he finally said, "I just know something's going to happen soon".

Tried playing Possible Planet for an old school friend who found me on the internet after(covering my mouth and mumbling) years. He didn't care for it at all and the guy is a life long weed smoker and did countless acid trips back in the day. He prefers actuall music to soundscapes.

I've got Western Spaces, Cavern of Sirens, Soma, Quite Music, On This Planet, Mag. Void, Now/Traveler, Truth & Beauty, On This Planet, and an assortment of mp3s. Hope to catch him live again soon.

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2008, 12:38:58 AM »
Don't let the haters get you down...

It always amuses me to try to get people to listen to ambient. It takes a special breed. Most attention spans these days are so wrecked that the ambient just agitates them...using the mind as a muscle for enjoyment is just not cool these days. I would imagine though, that soemtimes Steve Roach out of the blue can sound pretty weird. Even the most hardened stoner might recoil in fear at an album like Possible Planet. Seems to me that Steve Roach is about as psychedelic as it gets...really goes out to the farthest reaches of weirdness. I think it is a matter of the right moment. It is difficult to just put something on and hope that the friend gets into it. Got to give them a copy and let it creep up on them...

That said, my brother is becoming a Roach fan. Slowly been indoctrinating him...

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:27 AM »
For me, The Magnificent Void is one of the most successful attempts to portray nothingness with something - not an easy thing to do at the best of times

It's a great disc and definitely one of his best in my collection so far. 

I kid you not the first time I put this one on I had a fearful reaction to it after about 20 minutes.  Had to turn the lights back on and put the headphones away for a while!  haha

My copy of "Somewhere Else" arrived by Post yesterday.  It's great.  Can't wait to explore more of these Immersion style pieces of his. 

9dragons, look out for the new Lovecraft compendium (though it says it has everything, who knows)
http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-Gollancz/dp/0575081570/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210760248&sr=1-6

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2008, 04:56:58 AM »

I kid you not the first time I put this one on I had a fearful reaction to it after about 20 minutes.  Had to turn the lights back on and put the headphones away for a while!  haha

That's what I meant about Irllicht by KS. There is a point about 5 minutes in with the wide 'sweep' bass notes that if I was even slightly stressed was unbearable and had to be taken off - if i was into it it was great, like a rollercoaster ride through a star

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
It seems there are many who just don't "get" this music.  In fact it's the majority of people, I've found. That's why I'm thankful for this Forum: people who actually appreciate it without dismissing it outright as "weird" or "not music."   :)

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2008, 02:52:26 AM »
I love the fact that many people posting on this thread are ambient musicians, and there is no hint of jealousy or cynicism at all towards Steve Roach.  As you probably know- in many other areas of art, especially music, sometimes the 'top' gets attacked by the 'bottom' and 'middle' and certain members of the 'top'....usually due to a artistic jealousy and deep-seated resentment.  Not here.  This, to me, I see as a sign of a truthful passion for music.  You love what you love, regardless of your own struggle.

Everyone here seems to love Roach (well maybe the cynics just steered clear of the thread....) and I find that completely appropriate and invigorating.  I think as an artist, if you stay true to what you really love, not just what you *think* you should love, then you keep your understanding about what other listeners also love about ambient music, and you stop yourself from...well, disappearing up your own backside musically. 

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »

I tried playing some of the same CD for somebody at work and after listening to it for about 10 minutes he finally said, "I just know something's going to happen soon".

I have a friend who told me once, "My problem with ambient music is that I keep waiting for it to start." :-)
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
That's better than waiting for it to end.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »
I've been spinning A Deeper Silence every night for I don't know how many weeks now. This is an excellent work, puts one in just the right state! Certainly one of the best late night cds I've heard.

I was wondering if this could be compared to Koner, but it has been so long since I've heard Koner that I forgot. Any thoughts?

As for criticizing Mr. Roach, when it gets done here, there is a swarm of people who retaliate  ;D  Because those who attack usually don't have a well thought out reason, just take some pot shots. This artist inspires loyalty because he gives more than he takes. I know I've gotten a lot more out of individual cds of his than the 12 or 14 bucks I put into it... :-*

Oh shit, I just discovered how to use those annoying little faces ;)

kreutzfeldt

• View Profile
    • http://kreutzfeldt.dustopper.dk
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:59 PM »
cynic joining in: to me, it's all been downhill for roach since structures from silence eventhough all the newer stuff i've heard from him still sounds to me like he always did.

but maybe i'll try deeper silence after this splendid review ;D !

My only nitpick on Deeper Silence would be that it never changes, just one repeating loop for the 70-plus minute duration. Dream Circle and Slow Heat had some variations (however slight), but this one doesn't.  However, it is one hell of a loop...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Well, I'd say there's more complexity to it, than just "Roach lovers versus Roach haters."

There are some who are critical of almost everything he does, and some who love all of it.

Then in between, there are some who think he's overrated but still has some decent work, and some who think he's an important and talented artist overall but with declining quality control.

Still others are enthusiastic about his work and generally have nothing bad to say about Roach, but have given up hope of keeping up with everything he releases.

Those of you who never saw the "old" Hypnos Forum, before the "great purge" in which 35,000 or so posts were deleted a year or so ago, missed out on some pretty heated Roach debates!  This one, the one in this topic I mean, has been pretty civil.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »
Those of you who never saw the "old" Hypnos Forum, before the "great purge" in which 35,000 or so posts were deleted a year or so ago, missed out on some pretty heated Roach debates!  This one, the one in this topic I mean, has been pretty civil.

That's what fascinates me about Mr. Roach. I think I have a somewhat balanced opinion of his work (he's not God but he's made some of the best music I have ever heard and he's also made so many records that only a completist or fetishist would feel the need to buy all of them but the guy has to pay the light bill...what do you want him to do, get a day job? but I digress), so I don't get all bent out of shape when people worship or excoriate him..but for some reason he's a lightning rod for heated emotions. He hits people on a visceral level. They say that's a skill politicians have. If he ever does have to get a day job, maybe he can run for mayor of Tucson.

Mike S.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:54 AM »
There are whole swaths of the Roach back catalogue that I do not own. The ones I do have I quite highly regard. I think the problem we have here at this thread (if it even needs to be called a problem) is that those who are vehemently anti-Roach never really muster up a detailed review of a specific album, just drop a bunch of assumptions and vagaries, like some slight based on the color scheme of his web site, or kind ripping on his shamanic themed prose in the cd descriptions. The critique never seems to get down to the music itself. If his cds were just blank and had numbers for song titles, people might have a different attitude, be able to judge the music purely on its merits. I for one would like to hear it. I'm in the middle, I don't think any musician is beyond reproach (except Hawkind), and there certainly critiques that can be made of Roach. But he is just too badass at what he does for people to really take a big enough chunk out of him to do damage. Come on, he just does too many styles too well for an easy pan of his work. I mean, if you just plucked out his Dark Ambient style stuff and put it up against any other specificall Dark Ambient artist, he would still tower above. Same with the Tribal stuff, the holotropic electronica, the minimalist, whatever else...