Author Topic: Steve Roach discussion  (Read 60002 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Steve Roach discussion
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »
NO ONE has become rich selling records (except Vangelis, probably, and only if you consider the pompous Greek an ambient artist).

Off topic but since you brought him up here is an interesting recent interview with that "pompous" Greek artist.

Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »

Maybe there should be an anti-Steve Roach thread alongside the pro-thread...I think it'd be funny...

Gasp! :o
Do you know what you're saying?! This website would spontaneously combust with all the hatred and rage that would be generated. I DO agree with you though, that Mantram and Trance Spirits are both lame. ;)

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »

Maybe there should be an anti-Steve Roach thread alongside the pro-thread...I think it'd be funny...

Gasp! :o
Do you know what you're saying?! This website would spontaneously combust with all the hatred and rage that would be generated. I DO agree with you though, that Mantram and Trance Spirits are both lame. ;)

Yeah, and how would one prevent the "haters" and the "zealots" from cross-posting into each other's threads!?   I can just see how the history books will read... Steve Roach: healer, sound-magician, shaman, and starter of World War III   ;D

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
Hey 9 Dragons-

Do you have Streams & Currents? I seldom hear it mentioned, but if you like Spirit Dome, I think you'll like that one as well. It's bottomless & dark & ponderous like Spirit Dome, but without percussion. In fact, I think I'll revisit that one tonight...

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
I DO agree with you though, that Mantram and Trance Spirits are both lame. ;)

Put up yer dukes, boys.  I love both of those CDs.   ;D

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »
I DO agree with you though, that Mantram and Trance Spirits are both lame. ;)

Put up yer dukes, boys.  I love both of those CDs.   ;D

That's what's great about Steve Roach- such a wide variety of music that inspires such a wide variety of opinions.

I have about 30 Roach CDs, and I like less than half of 'em... but when he's good, he's great!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 07:05:47 PM by Joe R »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2008, 09:14:42 PM »

[/quote]

I have about 30 Roach CDs, and I like less than half of 'em... but when he's good, he's great!
[/quote]                                                                                                                      Hear! Hear!
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:57 AM »
I can just see how the history books will read... Steve Roach: healer, sound-magician, shaman, and starter of World War III   ;D

LOL ;D

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. And 9 dragons comment re wife is echoed hear....she will listen to almost anything I play, but as for an actual discussion or chat about the details or history or what 'enevelope' the music may be pushing I have to save for forums like this one.

I gave Trance Spirits away and never got Mantram, though the Serpents Lair and even Byrons release Not Without Risk do get airplay....

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »
Streams & Currents? I seldom hear it mentioned, but if you like Spirit Dome, I think you'll like that one as well. It's bottomless & dark & ponderous like Spirit Dome, but without percussion.

Except for the first five minutes of "Spirit Moves" (percussion that is)! I used to think this was a sub-par version of Midnight Moon but this thread has me removing it from my "to trade in" pile. So far this morning, it looks like I'll be keeping it.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
Streams and Currents got traded in...I had always wanted to use it as a sleep cd but the out-of-place blast of drumming in the middle of the album made it unusable for that. Not sure why I never got into it, did keep it for a while though before trading.

Listened to the second disc of World's Edge last night...a great piece that one. Going to give Magnificent Void a solid listen today; had it for years and have never quite given it its due. As for Spirit Dome, I consider it part of the canon - all the Vidna collaborations are gold in my book. I had to go and count up my Roach collection and find that I have 30, 16 of which are collaborations. All of these are albums I am deep into, or know I want to get deeper into in future. I'm big into the recent solo stuff like the Immersions and Fever Dreams (noticing some Roach fans differ on this), but would welcome more collaborations. Terraform, being the most recent example, is a great example of how Roach's sound evolves and becomes enhanced and enlivened in contact with an outside force. Rapoon, who has a more murky, industrial/experimental edge, who makes some very interesting moves, but doesn't seem to sustain interest over an entire album or long track, would be a great artist to set loose in the fields of Roach's soundworld.

On the subject of Wives Who Hate Ambient: one night, as I was deep in the zone being blown away by the weirdness of Possible Planet, the wife comes in unceremoniously to burst the bubble by saying 'it sounds like a frog'...some people (don't get pissed Bill!) truly don't 'get it'...or maybe (the horrible possiblity) she gets it way too much, and can see through this strange world, cut through it like a knife. I spend hours in my work room listening to froggy noises (actually, come to think of it, that would be damn cool...see what this music does to people?!)

As far as Mantram and Trance Spirits: Mantram just seemed like a good chillout album, but with Roach, I like his deeper stuff - for sublime chill Alio Die is the man. Trance Spirits seemed wrong to me; the drums were too pronounced to mesh with the ambient mix, but the drumming itself was not powerful or interesting or furious enough to really stand up as fully intense tribal drumming. So it was kind of in malaise ground for me...

And some more good news (or fodder for the haters), an announcement of some new works:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/01/14/steve-roach-2/

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2008, 11:10:33 AM »
but when he's good, he's great!

Agreed.
But there's always a chance I start to like music that I didn't like before. At the moment I really enjoy some of his tribal stuff, that I never liked earlier. I now think Fever Dreams 2 is a fantastic, mesmerizing, soulful album. It can take a long time before I dig some of his music.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »
but when he's good, he's great!
But there's always a chance I start to like music that I didn't like before.

That's what happened to me recently with Spirit Dome. That music suddenly became "right" for Joe Rygwelski in 2008, don't ask me why...

Speaking of Streams & Currents, I forgot about that odd bit of drumming in the second track. Doesn't bother me though, I still enjoy the murky depths of that disc.

Someone mentioned Serpents Lair. I love disc 2, but the disc with Byron Metcalf doesn't really go anywhere for me. As for Trance Spirits, it sounds to me like someone periodically threw random patches of ambience into a relentless drum mix. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

And I agree that all the Roach/Obmana collabs are great.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »
Listening to Spirit Dome right now...that pounding imminent sacrifice epic tiki drum sound is so great...this album truly conjures up some powerful and terrible beauty...for some reason puts me in mind of a sonic interpretation of the Egyptian book of the Dead...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »
Oh, and another thing:

Call me a heretic, but I've never found anything likable about Structures From Silence. I know a lot of people treasure that one, but for me it's definitely a case of "some people just don't get it, and they never will".

There, I feel better already! ;)

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Have to agree. Never could get into that one and always wondered why people thought it was one of his best. Looks like the opcoming album 'Deeper Silence' (as seen in the link a few posts up) will be an updated, or more mature version...could be interesting...

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
Thanks 9dragons for the info on his new releases.  It kind of bugs me that he doesn't have this kind of info on his site though.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
Listening to Spirit Dome right now...that pounding imminent sacrifice epic tiki drum sound is so great...this album truly conjures up some powerful and terrible beauty...for some reason puts me in mind of a sonic interpretation of the Egyptian book of the Dead...

Well, that did it for me, I'm going to have to investigate Spirit Dome.  What you just wrote sounds a whole lot like one of my favorite Roach songs, "Ritual Noise" off of Suspended Memories' Forgotten Gods Ever heard it?  It's a slow rolling, heavy force- like an inevitable procession of doom.  To me, it's the crown jewel-track on another great Roach collab. album.   

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2008, 08:18:22 AM »
I love Structures, but it was also one of the first of his I bought.  I think it holds up remarkably well, just so ethereal and pretty.

I like Trance Spirits a lot, but I can remember being surprised (and a little disappointed) because I expected it to be more like the Fayman CD on Projekt, which is excellent.  Once I got over that, I found I really liked the CD.  Reminds me of Jon Hassell's disc with Farafina.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:06 AM »
Nothing but praise for 'Arc of Passion', especially title track part 1.
When you listen to it as a whole, the most brilliant part comes around the 22nd minute and on. It's like the piece reaches a perfect momentum there. Absolutely wonderful.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2008, 04:24:07 AM »
There's a sample of 'A Deeper Silence' up now. Sounds quite nice, though obviously with a two minute sample it's impossible to tell...