Author Topic: Steve Roach discussion  (Read 58116 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Steve Roach discussion
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »
The Steve Roach discussion was definitely one of the "hot" areas of the Hypnos Forum this past few weeks -- well, actually longer than that -- so I thought I'd plant the seed here.

Actually I'm of a mind to spin Quiet Music tonight.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Steve Roach discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:35:18 PM »
listening to arc of passion disc 1 as i type. it is vintage roach with all of his classic style and lots of depth and clarity.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »
listening to arc of passion disc 1 as i type.
Oh, I didn't know it was shipping now! Buy buy buy!
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »
I've been listening to it, Arc of Passion, the last few days and it is very enjoyable. A great blend of ambient and Berlin School. I'm finding the 4th track, Views Beyond, to be most interesting.   Harry D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Viniator3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to why the title track was split across the two CDs? Help sate a man's curiosity.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »
Someone (Loren possibly) on the old thread mentioned that is was a necessary thing, but I didn't catch if they posted the reason or not.  I think it was something like it'll make sense when you hear it.  I haven't heard it yet.

John
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Isomorph

• View Profile
    • Isomorph Music at MySpace
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
I'm listening to Vine, Bark, and Spore.  Brings back memories of the 2000 Tuscon concert.  That was a great show. 

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
I'm listening to Vine, Bark, and Spore.  Brings back memories of the 2000 Tuscon concert.  That was a great show. 
yes it was an amazing show.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Viniator3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 02:00:37 PM »
'Twas Loren who said it, but having not heard the track yet, I see not how the split makes sense.

Vine, Bark, and Spore was solid, "The Holy Dirt" spectacular.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »
I have heard the tracks several times and I'm not sure why the split, either. One is more intense than the other. It ,also, would be more than an hour of sequenced music which might be a bit much for some. There is definitely a different feel to both tracks. But, that being said, it could easily be one long track IMO.  Harry D

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 06:58:29 AM »
A month doesn't go by around here without a spin of Structures from Silence...truly timelss and sublime work...

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 08:49:39 PM »
Getting in the habit of having an Immersion for late night reading/sleep mode. Harder to find better, in my collection at least, for complete chill mode without any distraction. Seems like Immersion 1 and the 'Sleep Chamber' disc from Immersion 3 are the best for sleeping, though 'Still' is good for sleep as well. I'm kind of taking the titles literally, and even use 'First Light' ease me into the waking world on early mornings. Seems to fit perfectly, but doesn't demand it either. The Immersions are fascinating, and I hope to put some of them on in the work room for a more active and loud listen. I like to imagine they are a kind of Bach organ work, or what he would be playing if transported to our time. It's a pretty tall order to be compared to Bach, but I think over time it is borne out by the music, and how it seems fresh, honest, and deeper over time. Also looking forward to Arc of Passion, which I was going to try to skip over, but couldn't resist, due in part to the sequencer stuff it has on it. Been getting in to more of this kind of electronic music via Ian Boddy and Tangerine Dream, and don't have any of the Roach sequencer albums, so it will be fun to see how Roach works with it. Looks like Arc of Passion will have a less dissonat sound than the Immersions, which I enjoy sometimes...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:08:56 AM »
Getting in the habit of having an Immersion for late night reading/sleep mode. Harder to find better, in my collection at least, for complete chill mode without any distraction. Seems like Immersion 1 and the 'Sleep Chamber' disc from Immersion 3 are the best for sleeping, though 'Still' is good for sleep as well. I'm kind of taking the titles literally, and even use 'First Light' ease me into the waking world on early mornings. Seems to fit perfectly, but doesn't demand it either. The Immersions are fascinating, and I hope to put some of them on in the work room for a more active and loud listen. I like to imagine they are a kind of Bach organ work, or what he would be playing if transported to our time. It's a pretty tall order to be compared to Bach, but I think over time it is borne out by the music, and how it seems fresh, honest, and deeper over time. Also looking forward to Arc of Passion, which I was going to try to skip over, but couldn't resist, due in part to the sequencer stuff it has on it. Been getting in to more of this kind of electronic music via Ian Boddy and Tangerine Dream, and don't have any of the Roach sequencer albums, so it will be fun to see how Roach works with it. Looks like Arc of Passion will have a less dissonat sound than the Immersions, which I enjoy sometimes...

Light Fantastic is my favourite roach sequencer album.

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »
I still enjoy a good round of Now/Traveler for SR's sequencer stuff. Maybe because it was my first exposure to his music--I'm still deeply in love with "Cloud Motion."

I may have mentioned before, but when my daughter was born, immersion: one was looping for the 24 hours of labor and for several more hours after she emerged. So SR was baby's first music, and she sometimes sleeps to it now, 20 months down the road.

"Early Man" is my go-to for deeper relaxation. Love it.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

spore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
Can't wait to hear his new release, "Arc of Passion". I'll probably pick it up after christmas or so. How does it sound actually? A bit like "Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces"?

The disc 'Sleep Chamber' from the Immersion III release gets a regular spin every week when I'm going to sleep. Perfect sleeping music. One of the few albums that doesn't disturb me at all when I'm sleeping.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »
Can't wait to hear his new release, "Arc of Passion". I'll probably pick it up after christmas or so. How does it sound actually? A bit like "Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces"?
"Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces" is one of my favorite Steve Roach releases. but "Arc of Passion" sounds nothing like it.    Harry D

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »
I really like "Early Man". There's some wonderful and unusual sound design and processing on that one, and it sounds quite different to all his other albums, too.

Anybody else a fan of "Trance Spirits" here? I'm not that keen on all of it, but the title piece is perhaps my favorite tribal-ambient work ever. It pulls at your heart in a way that few musical works can. It could go on twice as long and I'd be quite happy to sit through it, doing nothing else except listening (although I think he judged the length perfectly for that piece.) Wonderful stuff.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 01:07:57 PM »
Someone (Loren possibly) on the old thread mentioned that is was a necessary thing, but I didn't catch if they posted the reason or not.  I think it was something like it'll make sense when you hear it.  I haven't heard it yet.

Not hear it, I meant the liner notes would make it more obvious. I hadn't seen them until today (I just got my copy) so I didn't want to say anything until I actually saw what was written.  I guess I can spill the beans now. Arc of Passion is a live performance. I recorded it last summer when Steve played at Analogue Haven. At the time we had no intension of releasing the entire performance, I was just recording it mostly for Steve's archives. Steve had been thinking about releasing a CD with a track from the various concerts he performed that year, but after hearing this recording Steve was blown away by the quality of it (thanks in most part to my Apogee mini-me AD convertor) plus his performance was well above par.

So why was the title track split across two discs? Their are a couple reason. One being their were no breaks in the concert, it was one evolving performance that lasted two hours. The title track happened right in the middle of the performance and lasted nearly 1 hour. How do you divide up something like this? Do you put the begining and ending together on one disc and the middle part on its own? Or do you stay true to the spirit of the performance and leave it in the order of its original occurance?

The other reason being a technical one which pretty much forced us to go the second route. Sound check for the recording went fine, but as always happens the heat of performance tends to make things louder. I knew that coming in so I was monitoring the recording the entire performance. I made adjustments when needed, but the concert continued to get louder until I had reached the bottom of my adjustments. On the mini-me just below its lowest variable setting is a default calibration mode which was way too low for recording this concert. So what happened was I went to adjust the volume a bit lower and ended up going into calibration mode, meaning the levels dropped. I quickly turned them back up and luckly that was probably the peak volume of the evening. So in the end it only made sense to make the cut to the second disc at that point with a fade out/in which means you probably lost about 30 seconds from the entire performace. And that's why the title track was divided onto two discs. So, if you are not happy with this then feel free to blame me.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
I really like "Early Man". There's some wonderful and unusual sound design and processing on that one, and it sounds quite different to all his other albums, too.

A funny thing I noticed recently while listening to Artifacts is that there are about 3 slower pieces on the album... Those tracks got me thinking "wow, this sounds like inspiration for Early Man", which of course was created several years later.  Aside from that there are many some obvious differences but Artifacts sounds like foreshadowing just in certain spots.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »

Anybody else a fan of "Trance Spirits" here? I'm not that keen on all of it, but the title piece is perhaps my favorite tribal-ambient work ever.

Never could get into Trance Spirits, it just never seemed to click. Couldn't quite define why, it was just one of those albums that, after the first listen, I never felt compelled to put on, and when trying to get myself to listen to it, just couldn't. As far as Early Man, I agree, it is such an amazing work. I've had it for a few years now, but seem to listen to it only rarely, because it is so dense, multilayered, and involved that it feels like it demands a really intent listen. I keep thinking about having a special session of listening to both discs back to back, just fully paying attention to it and trying to take as much of it in as possible. Perhaps accompanying it by looking at a photo book of Lascaux cave paintings...

Hopefully Arc of Passion will appear in the mailbox today. It will be good to have a full-on live album of Steve's music, as I have never been able to see him play (missed out on the Grace Cathedral - damn!) Thanks for sharing the info about the recording process, Loren; knowing the process behind the album, and the fact that it is one long marathon show, makes it all the more interesting.