Author Topic: Steve Roach discussion  (Read 59167 times)

avec

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach discussion
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2008, 09:36:38 PM »
I've been listening to A Deeper Silence a lot and it's finally grown on me.  At first I didn't like it much at all, kind of frightening and empty.  It took me a while to feel comfortable with it.  Listen to it quite often now, but don't really heed Steve's advice about keeping it at low volume.  This one needs to be a bit louder.  If it's down too low you can't hear the treble but if it's too loud the bass really gets through the music.  Gotta balance it just right.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2008, 07:32:42 PM »
This wasn't mentioned on Steve's site that I could find but Empetus is getting a 2-Disc re-treatment:
http://www.amazon.com/Empetus-2-CD-Collectors-Steve-Roach/dp/B001B92F02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215656701&sr=1-1

No wonder he's been doing a bit of sequencer pieces lately

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »
Might I suggest that if you actually notice simular sequences and sounds in Roach's music you're listening to way too much of his stuff.   ;D

There are other worthy artists to check out too and other genres as well. If you've listened to all of them then you're listening to way too much music!  ;D

Crack a non-fiction book or two, or three. Try listening to some talk radio.

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

solyaris

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2008, 04:13:44 AM »
I'm Listening now some of "Immersion" releases,

realizing that Steve is now lost in these desertic vortexes of dust and sand lift by some elevation energy ... the flight on top of the land is now detached from the human triviality but a sense of melancholy is spread on the air ... I hope Steve will come back renewed again.

Maybe just now Steve Roach deeply meet Klaus Wiese "Magnifiient Void".

giorgio

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
Headphoned "Arc of Passion" the other night, and have gained a deep respect for that album. Masterful work, and a great accompaniment to art creation...

greglw3

• View Profile
Klaus Schulze Book
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
I'm Greg Allen and I've written a book on the career of Klaus Schulze called Klaus Schulze: Electronic Music Legend (2008).

The official web site for the book is at www.KlausSchulzeBook.com

What does this have to do with Steve Roach?  Well Klaus was an early influence on Steve and Steve is interviewed in my book.  He has also been supportive of the book and has a comment on my web site under "Impressions of the book", giving his reaction to the book.

So, I hope you'll check it out!

Greg

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »
greglw3, that sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

As I said in the other thread, I'm thoroughly enjoying 'Landmass' at the moment, especially the second track. Very powerful, challenging music.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2008, 02:25:18 AM »
Would be glorious to hear a collab between Klaus and Steve. Though they would probably burst into flame if they went into the same studio together. The elemental forces would be too great...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2008, 03:47:16 AM »
This collaboration will never happen, trust me.  If KS was still doing Timewind/Body Love style music, perhaps, but the styles of these two are so far apart now it wouldn't make much sense.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »
A collaboration between two of my favorite artists in electronic music. Would this be possible? All sorts of similarities and differences between these artists.

Hard to imagine if and how their styles could connect.
Maybe Berlin type sequencer pieces should be at the basis of their collab. That's where their recent output has some overlap.
Maybe they'd need a versatile third artist to make it work. Something like a Dark Side of the Moog with Steve Roach as guest artist.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
I think the only way this would happen is if KS contacted SR, and I highly doubt he'd do it--KS is all orchestral/symphonic these days and he doesn't seem to use the old analog systems any longer but lots of digital synths.  SR has been exploring on recent albums like Proof Positive what KS did long ago (which is why I'm a bigger fan of Roach and less so of KS's output recently). I do think it would be interesting to see what would happen and it's not that I wouldn't want to see it happen, but Im not getting my hopes up!

lemonstar

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »
Headphoned "Arc of Passion" the other night, and have gained a deep respect for that album. Masterful work, and a great accompaniment to art creation...

Arc has been in the phones for me too - the 2 part title track is "needlessly?" long IMHO but "Views Beyond" is the most incredible things he's done in a long while - play that loud to appreciate the depth of it - it works really well as a conclusion to the album - I have the feeling that some fantastic underground destination has been reached.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »
Now what I would absolutely LOVE to hear is a follow up to Blood Machine.

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2008, 03:19:38 AM »
Now what I would absolutely LOVE to hear is a follow up to Blood Machine

Oh yes...so would i. Long i've hoped for another epic collaboration between Roach and Vir Unis. IMHO those were some of the finest and more developed albums they've produced. Don't think that'll ever happen again now, but who knowns....I'm missing those highly energetic "Fractal Grooves" and the whole concept of "Elegant Futurism" was well,er....elegant ;)

In the meantime, i'm enjoying the second track on "Landmass", which remind me strongly of this period. Hey, it even sounds a bit like some of the Vir Unis and James Johnson's tracks as heard on the Perimeter and Live Transmissions series...

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
Samples for Stream of Thought are up

http://www.steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?albumID=409

Sounds like something quite unusual with a lot of variation. That could be a good thing. Although this is almost like a collection of snippets put together. I can't really find any coherence.
I'm definately intrigued and curious if, and how this will work as a whole. Very cool samples.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:35:56 PM by DeepR »