Author Topic: Strange multiple echoes?  (Read 7106 times)

ambient789

• View Profile
Strange multiple echoes?
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »
Hi,

This will sound weird, but I'm sure that some of you have sound design and engineering knowledge and might be able to help. My sister lives in a large neighborhood that is less than 5 years old. It has the usual winding streets and even a cul-de-sac is near her house. I believe all the houses have vinyl siding. Not all lots are developed.

When I have stayed at her house overnight, I stay in a bedroom that has a west facing window. I hear cars on the access road outside the neighborhood, the funny thing is that 1-2 seconds after a car goes by I hear what sounds like a distant small bell ringing. It's very strange and the only thing I can guess is that the car sound is making multiple echoes on the vinyl siding of the houses. I find it strange. I haven't been at her house recently, and another house got put up on the lot beside hers. This phenomenon might not occur now.

Any guesses to this weirdness?  I do know that I tend to be a bit sensitive to the environment and would notice things like this.

Thanks.  ??? 

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Strange multiple echoes?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »
That ringing is the CIA's homing beacon, so the aliens can find you...  ;)  Or so my sister would tell you...

To me, it sounds like a standing wave or colliding soundswaves of some sort; is it different if the window is open?
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
No, the window is always closed. I'm very sure that it isn't a sound that comes from within the house.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »
Sounds like a sympathetic vibration. Something in or just outside the room is vibrating that is causing your bell like sound.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
Maybe you should start recording there.

My wife used to work in an office in which the passing cars sounded as if they were being modulated with a flanger.  More depth when the road was wet.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
Sounds like a sympathetic vibration. Something in or just outside the room is vibrating that is causing your bell like sound.

It would have to be outside the room then. There's carpeting, drapes, and large sturdy furniture in the room. So it can't be something in the room.

I guess this is just a little mystery that will have to remain one. Thanks for the comments.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
Well I am not there so I can't say for sure, but just because you have all those things you mention in the room does not mean it still can't be coming from the room. It actually could be caused by any on those objects you mentioned themselves. The furniture, the rod that holds up the curtains, a piece of paper, a loose screen or window, even the vinyl siding outside. It doesn't really matter what it is, if the right frequency is produced any of those objects can vibrate sympathetically at any time.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bebbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
Hi,

This will sound weird, but I'm sure that some of you have sound design and engineering knowledge and might be able to help. My sister lives in a large neighborhood that is less than 5 years old. It has the usual winding streets and even a cul-de-sac is near her house. I believe all the houses have vinyl siding. Not all lots are developed.

When I have stayed at her house overnight, I stay in a bedroom that has a west facing window. I hear cars on the access road outside the neighborhood, the funny thing is that 1-2 seconds after a car goes by I hear what sounds like a distant small bell ringing. It's very strange and the only thing I can guess is that the car sound is making multiple echoes on the vinyl siding of the houses. I find it strange. I haven't been at her house recently, and another house got put up on the lot beside hers. This phenomenon might not occur now.

Any guesses to this weirdness?  I do know that I tend to be a bit sensitive to the environment and would notice things like this.

Thanks.  ??? 

Recently when in the downstairs loo (due to a long standing affliction I spend more time than I prefer in there!) I've noticed what sounds like sonar on those old war films set in submarines. Have yet to find out what's causing it. I guess unidentified sounds are fairly common in our modern world.