Author Topic: New Sleep Chamber  (Read 3297 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
New Sleep Chamber
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:41:55 AM »
Sleep Chamber has a new album out, "Sorcery, Spells and Serpent Charms", on Klanggalerie. Hmmmmmmm.....

My curiosity and nostalgia demand that I check it out, but I am resisting, somehow. I liked Sleep Chamber quite a lot in the early 90's. I sold my copy of Sirkle Zero (out on the Musica Maxima Magnetica, which I bought in Rome) years ago, and have no other SC albums. Virtually all SC work is unfindable as far as I have looked.

Is there any interest by the forum?

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
Re: New Sleep Chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:01:51 AM »
I've only heard a few things through friends, but SC is something I just couldn't get into. If there were some recordings that were entirely instrumental I might like them more. I just can't get past the vox and "narration" on the stuff I've heard.

Klanggalerie is a cool label though...too bad a lot of the stuff they do is so limited. I was able to snap up reissues of the first two Nocturnal Emissions LPs...great stuff. Unfortunately, I totally missed out on the Konstrukivists reissues they did.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: New Sleep Chamber
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:49:33 PM »
Sleep Chamber is a love/hate kind of band.  I have most of their CD's; they range from really cheesy 'decadent' s&m-narration to dark ambient ritualistic tribal murkiness to techno-esqu heavy beats.  Hit or miss.  I've always thought that their pseudo-spooky imagery was funny.  It's even funnier when you read the liner notes, or hear the interviews (I have some interview snippets from an old cassette that are unintentionally hilarious.)

The samples of the new one don't do much for me; sounds like more of the same:  scary, growly vocals over churning soundscapes and steady beats.  Not bad, just not particularly good either. 

But I must say that I miss the Barbitchuettes...   ;D

Tons of great info on SC here:  http://sleepchamber.info/
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com