Author Topic: Ambient music & sitar/tanpura  (Read 5048 times)

jamiem

• View Profile
Ambient music & sitar/tanpura
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »
Hi

Can anyone recommend any CD's that sitars, tanpura's, etc have been used effectively.

I love some of the work that Mathias Grassow, Klaus Wiese have done incorporating it in their work, & I believe Steve Roach used tanpuras on 'Mantram.'

Any suggestions worth checking out?

Thanks

Jamie

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
Re: Ambient music & sitar/tanpura
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »
hello,
if you like ambient music with sitar you should try Al Gromer Khan, his huge discography is full of wonderful gems.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »
Yearning, by Robert Rich and Lisa Moskow, prominently features the sarod, a somewhat similar instrument.  It's a great album.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
Yearning, by Robert Rich and Lisa Moskow, prominently features the sarod, a somewhat similar instrument.  It's a great album.

Seconded.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
Thirded.  Yearning is one of the best.  I like Al Gromer Khan a lot too.  Most of his albums are very good- I'd recommend Mahogany Nights, God Perfume (if you can find it), Space Hotel, Tantra Drums, and The Alchemy of Happiness (with Klaus Wiese).

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
Hi

Can anyone recommend any CD's that sitars, tanpura's, etc have been used effectively.

Is that the same as a tamboura? David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir use tamboura on their "Harmonic Meetings" album.

MikeS

jamiem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
Great thanks for the recommendations.

Hi had forgotten about the Robert Rich 'Yearning' & agree a great album.

I also like the way David Parsons has used sitar.

Jamie

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
Lisa Moskow plays the sarod, a 25 stringed lute typical of Northern India. Sitar and tamboura are different.
You could also try the work of Michael Vetter, his "Zen" and "Silence" series of cds are recommended: minimal stuff but highly enjoyable.
On the lighter side, The Moment: they have a couple of cds on Fonix, in which they blend ancient string instruments and singing bowls.
On my own Penumbra, I've released a couple of titles with Klaus Wiese on tamboura, Arpa d'Erba on vocals and me on electronic treatments.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:49:13 AM »
hello,
if you like ambient music with sitar you should try Al Gromer Khan, his huge discography is full of wonderful gems.

Going through his vast discography atm
He have released a lot of mediocre music it seem.
For me I think I would need a special kind of environment to appropriate this music to the fullest potential...

Anyway, "Mahogany Nights" is the best one so far....

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:17 AM »

Pure 5 star timelessness... I wish Rich would do something similar in future, but this time even deeper...

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
"Nosferatu" soundtrack by Popul Vuh has some interesting work with sitar.  My favorite sitar album is Ravi Shankar's "Ragas and Talas", but it's hardcore classical sitar.  I have never gotten around to using my sitar on any of my recordings, I feel my dog Cleo enjoys my sitar playing more than anyone else, so I only play for her.  A friend of mine is also a guitarist/sitarist and we are planning on doing a collaberation.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Difficult instrument to record properly.  Dead Can Dance "used" a sitar once (looped 3 open strings).
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

TestZero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »
Check out Seeking Ganesha by Lucette Bourdin. She uses Sitar samples as well as other instruments. Available from Earth Mantra as a free download. http://earthmantra.com/seekingganesha

"...this is a tremendous collection of exotic ambient pieces, all performed by visual and musical artist Lucette Bourdin, and all simply wonderful pieces of ambient artistry. The music is at times deeply spiritual in nature and yet is also very open and inviting for meditation, quiet contemplation, or straight forward casual listening.

All in all, this is one of Lucette's best releases, and we at Earth Mantra are very excited to bring this to you. Enjoy!" Darrell Burgen, aka Palancar

Also, David Parsons has used the Sitar beautifully...
Hope this helps,
TZ
Nothing in the world is lost,
Nothing falls into the void,
Not even the words and deeds of man;
Everything has its place and destination.
Zohar