Author Topic: Camel Audio - Alchemy  (Read 6193 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Camel Audio - Alchemy
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

This one looks quite revolutionizing. I will begin to work with Alchemy in a couple of weeks.

And what got me more interested is that Robert Rich, has included some samples from his own made flute... (among other sounds)

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Camel Audio - Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »
I've been hearing quite a bit about this synth.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you've had some playtime with it.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
I've been hearing quite a bit about this synth.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you've had some playtime with it.

Yes, as soon as I have bought a new soundcard for my computer...
I need a new good PCI Express soundcard, I hope to buy it maybe next month.
I am using the Line 6 POD X3 now as main soundcard, and it sucks for Low Latency ASIO audio.

I am thinking about either the new ESI PCIe soundcards, ESP1010e or Maxio 032e, or RME HDSPe AIO.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
I have always been a fan of their Cameleon synth, and bought Alchemy when it first came out.
It's a fantastic piece of work. Very flexible, very powerful, and with some useful novel features.
Its presets still sound in the Cameleon direction though, which is a sort of an additive/metallic feel.
But its really capable of being almost anything, given that it will use samples and also basic
subtractive waves in its osc's. Its quite a deep beast if you like tinkering. I'd highly recommend it.

I'll happily answer questions about it if I can.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »
I have always been a fan of their Cameleon synth, and bought Alchemy when it first came out.
It's a fantastic piece of work. Very flexible, very powerful, and with some useful novel features.
Its presets still sound in the Cameleon direction though, which is a sort of an additive/metallic feel.
But its really capable of being almost anything, given that it will use samples and also basic
subtractive waves in its osc's. Its quite a deep beast if you like tinkering. I'd highly recommend it.

I'll happily answer questions about it if I can.

Not sure if I have much questions at this point, I have watched the 1 hour video tutorials on the site, it gives a pretty good insight of what to expect and what it can do...
Looking forward to tryit, even though I have not got tired of Omnisphere yet...

Regarding metallic sound, it seems that almost all digital synths focus in metallic/noisy sounds...
I am not sure why though..Might be cause they are the type of sounds that are easier to create...
Personally I usually find warm and more organic sounds more useful...unless I make some dark noisy ambient..

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:34:45 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:34 AM »
ok APK, I got a question regarding Robert Rich's flute samples.
I have heard that "3 samples" are included, are these multi-samples, or only three tones ?
I hope the samples consist of all notes on the flute, so I could play it every note on the keyboard.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »
Only just noticed your post, Immersion. Sorry.
Will run Alchemy and look into this today.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
Looks like its just 3 low notes: C3,  F#3,  G3

They are rich and long. But only 3 of them. No multi-samples.

Which reminds me, there was a Robert Rich sample album put out a few years ago.
Here it is   http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/robertrich
Might be of interest if you don't know it.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
Thank you...

Well ok..if it is not multi samples... I could atleast use it for drone stuff...

The sample cd you linked too, not sure, I guess I would like to hear it first before I buy it.
But I am skeptical that it is something that I would have of use... I do not like "loops" etc..

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
Thank you...

Well ok..if it is not multi samples... I could atleast use it for drone stuff...

The sample cd you linked too, not sure, I guess I would like to hear it first before I buy it.
But I am skeptical that it is something that I would have of use... I do not like "loops" etc..
It is loops.     Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
I have finally tried it now, it is definitely and impressive and powerful synth. The presets sounds mostly very metallic/digital, but as APK said...you can make it sound warmer if you want to. But to have PSP vintage Warmer/Voxengo Tapebus or Urs Console Strip Pro definitely help to make it sound warmer and less digital.

Just like with Omnisphere it will take a long time to explore this synth...

What does impresses me is the modulation options, and I am totally in love with that X/Y pad, it is a really great way to modulate and form soundscapes I think.
In the future I will try to find a midi interface with an X/Y Pad, it would be really useful I think, I guess the Kaoss Pad KP3 is perfect for this....It is too bad that it is so expensive...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:38:57 PM by Immersion »

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »
Hi, I don't know if you guys here already know this but you can get 20 free sounds for Alchemy at http://www.luftrum.com/
Just click on the sound design tab and it will take you to the page where you can preview the sounds and download them for free.
You can also buy refills for Reason here too. Hope this is helpfull
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »
FYI - Ends tomorrow - but there's a 50% off group buy for Alchemy on at this moment.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=HH0fGs_2bWaE0GtBHgvi6Bhw_3d_3d