Author Topic: Simple hardware studio  (Read 4370 times)

burning 4 revenge

• View Profile
Simple hardware studio
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
Im thinking of creating a simple studio with used

(a) korg r3 (hard synth)

(b) boss dr-670 (drum machine)

(c) some tape recorders

(d) tascam dp-02 (8 track cd-recorder)

Do you think this would be adequate for industrial-ambient projects
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:44:57 PM by burning 4 revenge »

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: Simple hardware studio
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
I would definitely look into picking up some effects (delays, reverbs, etc.).  There are plenty of reasonably priced units out there.     Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

burning 4 revenge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
I would definitely look into picking up some effects (delays, reverbs, etc.).  There are plenty of reasonably priced units out there.     Harry
are there no such effects on the r3?

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »
That and effects pedals perhaps as previously mentioned. What about a hardware mixer for hooking everything into or a big midi rig (4 ins/outs minimum from your rig setup)?  I'm (when I decide to) using a Korg Extreme 61, Roland V-Synth for hardware synths, NI Komplete 2/4/5 instruments (when I feel like it...), samples, midiman 2x2 (only works currently with my XP install...no Vista 64 support still....). If I was to consider my guitar equipment I have the Line 6 Floor Pod Plus that I can hook in via midi as well which may allow me to muck around more with Guitar Rig 2/3 perhaps. At some point I need to sit down with one of my electrics and mess around and see what kind of madness I can concoct!

Mike

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:27:44 PM »
are there no such effects on the r3?
I'm not real familiar with the R3, but I, personally have never been really satisfied with onboard effects when recording. I don't think you can go wrong with outboard gear. This is even more important when you start processing recorded sound from your recorders. Most of the people on this forum will probably agree , that the gear isn't all that important, it's what you do with what you have. I did a lot more music back in the '80's with a very minimal setup, than what I do now with a bunch of gear. Get your setup and start creating. That is what's important. Good luck and enjoy :)     Harry

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:27:57 AM »
I think the DP 02 has some effects on board but would second the suggestion for outboard effects - their will be more range, variety and tweakability than in the onboard ones.

What will you use the tape recorders for? - cassette or reel to reel.

burning 4 revenge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »
I was thinking of just using casette recorders to get field recordings

I think eventually Ill add like a Kaos Pad 3  for outboard effects if that sounds like a plan? But steady as she goes in this bad economy you know

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »
You might want to look at the Sony TC-D5 ProII cassette recorder. You can find them pretty reasonably priced used. I use one and get good results, IMO. I don't know about the Kaoss Pad 3, I'll have to read up on that. I know it's a tough time to be spending money.      Harry