Author Topic: Dreams  (Read 11272 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Dreams
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »
I'm obsessed with skiing; it consumes my winters.

A few years ago, my wife woke up to find me moving around the bed, rocking back and forth.  She thought I was having a sex dream; then she realized I was skiing.  She woke me up with her laughter.   ;D
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
I've got a book on dream interpretation, Freudian and Jungian, and here are a few interpretations to muddle over.

I had a bizarre dream when I was a kid, one that I'll never forget: Me and my Uncle Bob were in my basement, talking, when he said "Joe, I have something to show you". He opened his fist, and to my horror, showed me a handfull of spiders. He began chasing me around a giant, octopus furnace we had, throwing the spiders at me. Somehow, even though he was behind me, every one he threw landed right in my mouth, and I was spitting out spiders as I ran. It was horrible...

Insects are dream symbols from early childhood. A dream of killing insects may be recalling childhood hostility toward a brother or sister and may persist into adult life. I guess you could include uncles.

Steve

Hey Steve- I have Freud's Interpretation Of Dreams, and it's interesting, but I can't help but feel that random dream imagery is often mistaken for deeper symbolism. I would say that my "insect dreams" have more to do with a spider phobia than anything else. I often have spider nightmares, but then I've always been scared of spiders since I was a kid. Now snakes don't bother me, but spiders- UGH!

On the other hand, another recurring dream I have is that I find myself wandering through empty and abandoned houses and factories and such. And more often than not, I'm climbing up and down a constant maze of stairways, some narrow, some steep, some wide -a never ending ascent and descent. These dreams are neither "good" nor "bad", but I'm always interested in the proceedings. It's like I'm searching for something... I would say these dreams are symbolic for me, but not in the way Freud might suggest. In Freudian symbolism, stairways are a substitute for the sex act. ???

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
I could never put any validity behind a writer selling a book telling people that dreams symbolize...
I may have a dream about cars, but as far as representing the psyche, that would have a far different meaning for someone in Europe as opposed to someone in the southeast US.  In Europe, hardly anyone owns a car, whereas in the south, we start driving at 10.  Besides, what does getting a bunch of cars really mean to a newbie biker like me?  AND....spiders aren't insects.

Anyway...  The only thing that puzzles me about my own dreams is that there are never any hallways in buildings.  Rooms just exist next to each other.  I wonder what Freudian concept can be attached to such a thing.   Maybe the snake things mean that I am subconsciously ridding myself of my fears.

rain represents imagination and freedom to fertilize the dreamer's new project
Now, that's cool.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »
I could never put any validity behind a writer selling a book telling people that dreams symbolize...
I may have a dream about cars, but as far as representing the psyche, that would have a far different meaning for someone in Europe as opposed to someone in the southeast US.  In Europe, hardly anyone owns a car, whereas in the south, we start driving at 10.  Besides, what does getting a bunch of cars really mean to a newbie biker like me?  AND....spiders aren't insects.

Anyway...  The only thing that puzzles me about my own dreams is that there are never any hallways in buildings.  Rooms just exist next to each other.  I wonder what Freudian concept can be attached to such a thing.   Maybe the snake things mean that I am subconsciously ridding myself of my fears.

rain represents imagination and freedom to fertilize the dreamer's new project
Now, that's cool.

Yes, Wayne you have a point, but there are certain symbols across all cultures that are the same.  Spiders and snakes are a constant fear in all humans, in fact it's been said that there are certain evolutionary fears that all humans have, that have been cultivated over thousands of years, and spiders and snakes are two of them.  the part of the brain that registers these cannot speak to you, so chances are you don't even know that you have the fear.  Emotional memories are not just confined to your own brain- some memories stretch across generation- that's why a young child (old enough for these parts of the brain to be developed) will pause when seeing a spider. 

As to the validity of someone selling books about dream interpretation-  I wouldn't see it as a negative, and I also wouldn't dismiss it just because its someone's interpretation.  You know, things that can seem very subjective and interpretative can hold some amazing truths.  The metaphor isn't just some language construction.  It comes from deep within us.  It's how we understand the unknowable.

I have constant dreams about walking through old buildings, escaping from something- i never know what it is.  I always have to cross terrifying chasms, and I'm always end up on a little bike, going along a huge highway just as it's getting dark, and i know something is still following me. 
I suspect it's death. 

When I have time, I'll post one dream that kind of changed my life.
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »
So last night, I knew it was going to be a weird when it started out like a movie trailer.  I heard the line spoken in a deeply intense tone "The police are all hired assassins in York, Pennsylvania!"  Some campy action film followed, I didn't know if I was watching it, staring in it, or living it.  I just knew it was low budget.  Kind of like living in the same town with Flaming Carrot Head and Mr. Furious.  So, I woke up wondering about the movie trailer "He's giving New York City 24 hours to get out of town!"  What was that movie?  The trailer was awful.  So what confuses me is "exactly where is all this stuff hidden in my brain, and what is it that brings it out?"  I guess that will teach me to listen to listen to the first side of "Larks Tongues in Aspic" before I go to bed. 

When it comes to reoccurring fears in dreams, I sometimes find myself on a ladder and I have to let go and jump to another ladder to make it from point a to point b.  It's never some psychedelic Heronious Bocsh setting, more like a school gymnasium or a restaurant in New Orleans.  The point is that ladders have always freaked me out, and it's ironic that my latest and greatest injury was falling off a ladder 1/4/09 while cleaning the gutters at my house.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:18 AM »
Hey Steve- I have Freud's Interpretation Of Dreams, and it's interesting, but I can't help but feel that random dream imagery is often mistaken for deeper symbolism. I would say that my "insect dreams" have more to do with a spider phobia than anything else. I often have spider nightmares, but then I've always been scared of spiders since I was a kid. Now snakes don't bother me, but spiders- UGH!

Well my book doesn't mention spiders per se, maybe sometimes a spider is just a spider  ;D. I've never cared for them either but I don't recall ever having a spider dream.

On the other hand, another recurring dream I have is that I find myself wandering through empty and abandoned houses and factories and such. And more often than not, I'm climbing up and down a constant maze of stairways, some narrow, some steep, some wide -a never ending ascent and descent. These dreams are neither "good" nor "bad", but I'm always interested in the proceedings. It's like I'm searching for something... I would say these dreams are symbolic for me, but not in the way Freud might suggest. In Freudian symbolism, stairways are a substitute for the sex act.

Back to the book, an abandoned house, the house being a symbol of the self, often more specifically represents the body. An abandoned house in disrepair may indicate the dreamer's neglect of phyisical or emotional health. From a Jungian perspective, the floors or stories of the house represent our unconscious, consciuosness and higher spiritual asperations. According to Jung the stairs represent psychological growth.

The writer of my book is quoting Freud and Jung and they didn't just pull these symbols out of a hat. Yeah, I guess cars wouldn't mean much to Eskimos either. You mentioned the Fiat turned three colors which is significant. Orange which can be viewed as the balance of the yellow of the spirit and the red of the libido: it can represent fertility or the dawning of spiritual awareness. Blue is the intellect, implying cool rationality, openmindedness and steadfastness of purpose. Green is the symbol of spring, new life and awakening hope. Many of these symbols are personal to the dreamer.

I always have to cross terrifying chasms, and I'm always end up on a little bike, going along a huge highway just as it's getting dark, and i know something is still following me.  I suspect it's death.

The open road is a frequent symbol of freedom, a major hiway can express the dreamer's desire to fast-track to greater self-awarness, or spiritual enlightenment. A fork in the road can reflect out difficulties in reaching an important discision.

I sometimes find myself on a ladder and I have to let go and jump to another ladder to make it from point a to point b.

The ladder is a Jungian archetype for the link between the spiritual and phyical life, expressed for Jung in the biblical story of Jacob's dream of angels ascending a ladder or stairway between heaven and earth.

That's it for now,
Steve

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:22 PM »
sraymar
The ladder is a Jungian archetype for the link between the spiritual and phyical life, expressed for Jung in the biblical story of Jacob's dream of angels ascending a ladder or stairway between heaven and earth.

So if I make it in the dream, I've made the switch.  But if I fall in the dream like I fell last month, I've gone straight to hell.  Hmmmm. Does that mean my subconscious is going to heaven, but I'm going to hell.  That actually makes sense.  If the body descends in to the pit of darkness and burns in flames, my soul rises to the clouds.  Dig it. 8)

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »
sraymar
The ladder is a Jungian archetype for the link between the spiritual and physical life, expressed for Jung in the biblical story of Jacob's dream of angels ascending a ladder or stairway between heaven and earth.

So if I make it in the dream, I've made the switch.  But if I fall in the dream like I fell last month, I've gone straight to hell.  Hmmmm. Does that mean my subconscious is going to heaven, but I'm going to hell.  That actually makes sense.  If the body descends in to the pit of darkness and burns in flames, my soul rises to the clouds.  Dig it. 8)

Heaven and Hell are levels of consciousness or awareness. Ever notice how your awareness changes when you listen to music? Sometimes you're more into to it than at other times? Climbing the ladder in your dreams just means trying for a higher awareness level possibly to overcome something that's bringing you down presently or something from the past. Maybe you just want more out of life.

Steve

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »

The open road is a frequent symbol of freedom, a major hiway can express the dreamer's desire to fast-track to greater self-awarness, or spiritual enlightenment. A fork in the road can reflect out difficulties in reaching an important discision.

...Which reminds me of another recurring dream:

I often dream that I'm driving a car alone, at night, on a road with a forest on either side. Everything's fine until suddenly I can't see the road. It's as though I suddenly have no headlights, or my eyes are closing and I can just barely keep them open. I find myself concerned, and slow way down, thinking "Man, I can't see shit". And yet I keep trying to drive to whatever my destination is.

A variation of this dream is the car suddenly turning into a bike, and I'm pedaling along, still not being able to see the road.

Variation number 3: The road gradually narrows down into a two-tracker, and the forest is closing in on either side. Eventually the road dead-ends, and I'm forced to turn around.

Hmmm, well that sure doesn't say much for my quest for self-awareness!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

Well my book doesn't mention spiders per se, maybe sometimes a spider is just a spider  ;D. I've never cared for them either but I don't recall ever having a spider dream.

Well, me being scared of spiders is a MAJOR understatement; I'm TERRIFIED of spiders, it's completely unreasonable and irrational. I often have dreams of spiders with bodies the size of walnuts, dangling in huge webs on the side of my house... or walking through a hallway, trying not disturb hundreds of huge spiders hanging in their webs. Horrible, horrible...

And I do believe phobias can be an inherited trait. Not many people are as phobic about spiders as I am, but both of my kids are. And I don't believe that they learned their fear through example, because I don't think they've ever seen me in a major spider freak-out. 

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »

...Which reminds me of another recurring dream:

I often dream that I'm driving a car alone, at night, on a road with a forest on either side. Everything's fine until suddenly I can't see the road. It's as though I suddenly have no headlights, or my eyes are closing and I can just barely keep them open. I find myself concerned, and slow way down, thinking "Man, I can't see shit". And yet I keep trying to drive to whatever my destination is.

A variation of this dream is the car suddenly turning into a bike, and I'm pedaling along, still not being able to see the road.

Variation number 3: The road gradually narrows down into a two-tracker, and the forest is closing in on either side. Eventually the road dead-ends, and I'm forced to turn around.

Hmmm, well that sure doesn't say much for my quest for self-awareness!

Sounds like something's bugging you, something you're repressing. A dark forest is a symbol of the unconscious and its concealed impulses. Darkness descending may suggest repressive forces in the unconscious are preventing you from dealing with important thoughts and feelings in the conscious mind, perfect qualifications for an ambient musician.  ;)  Maybe you should either write some music or seek therapy - take your pick.

Steve

Steve
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:11:21 PM by sraymar »

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »

Well, me being scared of spiders is a MAJOR understatement; I'm TERRIFIED of spiders, it's completely unreasonable and irrational. I often have dreams of spiders with bodies the size of walnuts, dangling in huge webs on the side of my house... or walking through a hallway, trying not disturb hundreds of huge spiders hanging in their webs. Horrible, horrible...

And I do believe phobias can be an inherited trait. Not many people are as phobic about spiders as I am, but both of my kids are. And I don't believe that they learned their fear through example, because I don't think they've ever seen me in a major spider freak-out. 

This reminds me of my first apartment. I used to live next door to some people that were breading roaches who eventually got evicted. I remember the manager getting ready to bug bomb their apartment after they left. It was just before dark and he had their kitchen light on and he the place was roach city! He poked a hold in the wall down under the sink and let a couple bombs go off and we stood outside and watched millions of roaches crawl down the window running for their lives. A couple days later his wife was checking the place out and I walked in to check it out too. On the ceiling border where it connected with the walls were lined with spider webs with millions of HUGE spiders with millions of roaches caught in them throughout the apartment! The residents used to have guests over and I could hear them talking carrying on like there wasn't anything wrong!! That episode left me a little freaked for a week or so even after a contractor went in and cleaned and repainted the place.

Never had one dream of spiders or roaches since and its been years now. Just after that I got into synths..... ;D

Steve

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 11:22:36 PM »
OK, another dream situation I occasionally have:

I feel like I'm in a maze, don't know where the exit is, I go looking around. There are also other people in the maze (large maze area), and they don't seem to care about where they are.

???

What's the psychology here??

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 01:16:44 AM »
OK, another dream situation I occasionally have:

I feel like I'm in a maze, don't know where the exit is, I go looking around. There are also other people in the maze (large maze area), and they don't seem to care about where they are.

???

What's the psychology here??

Too easy, you're in the Hypnos forum!  ;D

Steve

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 05:58:53 AM »
my most terrifying recurring dream had to do with school (luckily it stopped when I left school)...

I'd 'wake up' and realise I was late for school and be in a rush to get there. The route included a fenced path between 2 halves of a rundown cemetary (which actually existed on the wlking route to school and was very rundown - very hammer horror). Because I was late I would take a known short cut and slip through a gap in the fence and into the cemetary. It was always a sunny day, the birds would be singing and I'd be nervous but feeling ok as I'd get to school on time. I come to a fork in the path and after a moments hesitation set off down one of them. After a short time I'd be thinking it did not look familiar and realise the birds had stopped singing. I would stop and turn round to discover that the brambles had 'grown' across the path from a few feet behind me and i could not go back. The brambles then moved while I watched and covered over the path towards me and then forced me to go further along the path. I would try to fight but it was no good and I was soon forced to a small clearing in which was an open grave. I would stare at it in horror as it always had my name and THAT days date on it. A mist would start rising up out of the grave, at which point i always managed to physically wake myself up with a huge start, covered in sweat and heart hammering........

I once had a dream where the alarm went off and I reached out to turn it off. I got up and went to the kitchen and started making breakfast for myself only to have my father come down and irritably ask why I was cooking at 4am....I'd actually woken up after dreaming the alarm had gone off and started my day a little earlier than usual.

I think I mentioned in another thread that many years ago I did an evening class in herbal medicine and experimented with some obscure substances. The effect was that my dreams were almost complete replications of tha day that had just been with one or two very minor changes - which after a few days built up to a complete sense of bewilderment about what was and was not real.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
  Maybe you should either write some music or seek therapy - take your pick.

It'll have to be therapy. I'm not twisted enough to be an ambient musician. ;)

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
"Last night, I had a dream that a hamburger was eating me!"  -- Jerry Seinfeld

(I'm in a strange mood and couldn't help myself).

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
"Last night, I had a dream that a hamburger was eating me!"  -- Jerry Seinfeld

(I'm in a strange mood and couldn't help myself).
That's weird! I've had that dream, except it was a taco!!!  :o      Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »
Tornadoes.  I have a dream involving these probably once a month at least.  Sometimes I even get picked up into the vortex and then wake up.   Since 9/11, and travelling twice internationally, I've been getting some strange airplane dreams, like flying over a snow capped mountain, at belly-scraping heights, and so on. 

The strangest re-ocurring bad dream I have though is there's something wrong with my teeth- maybe they've fallen out, or there's "fangs" of newer teeth growing over the permanent ones, just general dental nightmares...

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 06:06:34 AM »
I do not watch the dream recently.
However, the misfortune that a thing about the relative and a thing about the family befall  watches a predictive dream. Of course about myself too.
There may be a dream and the relevance of the mental condition, too, but when I really watched such a prophetic dream, I am unbearable and am uneasy.
It is not direct to be troubled most. It takes a lot of time to interpret a meaning >:(
I wish that be only a pleasant dream....
Unfortunately I do not remember a good dream when I got up in the morning. because of happy dream?  ???
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:49:15 AM by cookie monster »