Author Topic: Dreams  (Read 11936 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Dreams
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:36:35 AM »
I thought about making this thread this night,  would be interesting and inspiring to read what the forum members dream about during sleep.
If you have been dreaming something you want to share no matter how strange and bizarre, this thread is the place to do it.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Re: Dreams
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
Well, last night, after a revolutionary overthrow of a local movie theater, I went to an airport to pick up my son.  I was in my 76 Chevy Impala, but it had no top.  The airport was the size of a convenience store, and I was parked in the grass.  When he came out, he had three dogs that flew with him.  Shadow and Max, who are both dead, and Sammy, a long haired brindle dachsund.  The wierd part was that I was driving AND sitting in the back with the dogs.  (BTW, Shadow appears in quite a few of my dreams.)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
I go through periods of having very intense dreams.   Many are nightmares (far beyond just 'bad' dreams) - and then sometimes I have wonderful dreams.    Recurring themes seem to pop up - and I know I've had some dreams over and over since I was a kid.    Why dreams have been so much a part of me - or why they're so vivid sometimes is kind of weird.   I think it's normal to usually forget your dreams - and I do forget a bunch - but some remain ingrained in my memory.

The worst was when I switched my asthma meds and those caused non-stop horrible nightmares... I was being literally hacked apart all night long and could wake up  -walk around - watch tv - and go back to sleep and back into the dream as if it was on 'pause' just waiting for me to fall asleep again.

I'm happy to say I don't take that medication anymore.

Of course - I have lots of normal happy dreams as well.    Sometimes of people I've lost.    Sometimes just everyday things.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »
I wish I did remember my dreams more often...
There is no better when you wake up from a dream in the morning, and then you keep yourself in this dreamy state during the whole day...This is not very often for me unfortunately...
I wonder why someone does remember dreams and sometimes not...

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »
I assume it's because i'm nuts.   ;-)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
I very often dream of fishing, I guess because fishing is a comfort thing with me.

The other night I dreamt that I was ice fishing at my ma's place in northern Michigan. I hooked a fish, but couldn't pull it up through the hole. I gave a big yank, and was amazed to discover that I'd pulled up a puffer fish in it's "puffed-up" state. I was marveling at the fact that I had hooked a tropical fish in an icy northern lake, when suddenly the dream shifted. All the ice had suddenly melted, and me and my buddies were flailing around in the water, trying to retrieve all our sinking fishing gear. Oddly, the water wasn't cold, so we had plenty of time to dive down and gather up our poles, tackle, shanties, etc...

GerryR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »
Ice fishing?

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »
Hilarious! ;D

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I haven't had it lately, (thank goodness) but occasionally I would have dreams of being in high school (and lower) and not being able to get all the work done.  I think I know why I would get these dreams. I was involved in a school district that wanted the students to be "experts" in all subjects taught. It made it hard to figure out what skills were truly important, because "everything" seemed important.

I don't want to offend, or put politics in here, but I'm not a big fan of the way public education is constituted.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
I haven't had it lately, (thank goodness) but occasionally I would have dreams of being in high school (and lower) and not being able to get all the work done.  I think I know why I would get these dreams. I was involved in a school district that wanted the students to be "experts" in all subjects taught. It made it hard to figure out what skills were truly important, because "everything" seemed important.

I don't want to offend, or put politics in here, but I'm not a big fan of the way public education is constituted.

Now that's funny...  I have a recurring dream where I show up for class totally unprepared, and it's finals time.  But in my case, it's probably because I actually went months without ever attending classes...   ;D

Similar themes:  I show up after weeks away, and can't find my locker (or forgot the combo); I show up, and my dorm room has been moved; I show up, and all my friends graduated years ago, and I'm ten years older than the rest of the students; I show up for class, and my profs have never heard of me.  It goes on and on...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »
It's really amazing how many of us have dreams about school. I have recurring dreams about high school and college, where I'm either unprepared or sleeping at my desk. In other words , inadequate. I graduated from college 34 years ago and from high school 40 years ago and still have these dreams. The dean of students at my college was feared by us all. She was doing a radio segment weekly a few years ago on a local talk show about books on your nightstand. Every time I would hear her, I would get an uneasy feeling. The education system does have a profound effect on us , both positive and negative. That is weird!!   ???      Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
Wow, I thought I was the only one who still had recurring school dreams!

My version is that I can't find my English class (it's always English) at exam time, and I need to pass the course to graduate.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:02 AM »
I sometimes still have those stupid school dreams too. I'm always late for my class, (which I can't find), and I'm all stressed-out and running around in the hallways. In recent years though, the dream has changed- Now, after running around and being stressed-out for awhile, I suddenly realize that I'm not a kid anymore and I don't have to be there, then I just drop my books and walk out the nearest exit. (So awesome, because I always wished I could do that when I was actually stuck in school)... :)

I rarely have that dream anymore, though. Whenever I feel like my life is out of control or when I have some big problem going on, I always dream about.....ZOMBIES, (eek!) I know the zombies are coming and I keep trying to lock all the doors and put boards over the windows and stuff, but every time I turn around, the door is hanging open or the boards have fallen off the windows, or something. I keep trying to close everything back up again, but it never stays that way, and eventually the zombies get into the house, and I run upstairs and try to hide from them, but they keep breaking into all my hiding spots. Finally, I'm in the last place I can hide, the attic, and they're slowly breaking through the door. I try to get the little window open so I can escape, but I can't, and it's much too small for me to climb through anyway. In the end, I just turn around and face the door, knowing that it's all over and they're going to get me.

Then I wake up. (Fun, huh?)  ::)
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Tonight, I was dreaming that someone did try to suffocate me with a pillow :)
I am lucky to be alive.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
I rarely have that dream anymore, though. Whenever I feel like my life is out of control or when I have some big problem going on, I always dream about.....ZOMBIES, (eek!) I know the zombies are coming and I keep trying to lock all the doors and put boards over the windows and stuff, but every time I turn around, the door is hanging open or the boards have fallen off the windows, or something. I keep trying to close everything back up again, but it never stays that way, and eventually the zombies get into the house, and I run upstairs and try to hide from them, but they keep breaking into all my hiding spots. Finally, I'm in the last place I can hide, the attic, and they're slowly breaking through the door. I try to get the little window open so I can escape, but I can't, and it's much too small for me to climb through anyway. In the end, I just turn around and face the door, knowing that it's all over and they're going to get me.

Then I wake up. (Fun, huh?)  ::)

Sounds like that dream is missing just Michael Jackson with fake yellow cat eyes...

I too have the school dreams.  It's always high school and I'm still there, not having graduated, and that's the theme, basically.  No matter what the specifics are, I'm always consumed with the disbelief that I'm there.  Then I try to rationalize it and figure it out until, oh yeah, wait, I'm dreaming.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
Lena-

Yow, that sounds like a horror movie! :o

I had a bizarre dream when I was a kid, one that I'll never forget: Me and my Uncle Bob were in my basement, talking, when he said "Joe, I have something to show you". He opened his fist, and to my horror, showed me a handfull of spiders. He began chasing me around a giant, octopus furnace we had, throwing the spiders at me. Somehow, even though he was behind me, every one he threw landed right in my mouth, and I was spitting out spiders as I ran. It was horrible...

I remember thinking "Maybe if I open my eyes wide enough, this will all stop". And of course, it did.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »
Another recurring childhood dream:

I'd be watching myself sleeping in bed, from somewhere up by the ceiling. Suddenly, the bed would begin to roll across the floor (it was one of those bed frames with the little wheels) towards the stairway. It would turn and start bouncing and crashing down the stairs, all the way to the bottom. Yet I'd see myself still safe in bed, sleeping...

This little scene probably only lasted 10 seconds, yet I'll bet I had this dream hundreds of times!

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
I find dreams very fascinating.  I'm sure there are some people who may be able to correct me, as I'm only just starting my psyc studies, but there are a few different theories of why we dream.  One is:

The right hemisphere of the brain (perception, feeling etc) becomes dominant at night (or say when meditating, and I would add performing music), while the left side (language, structure, rules, society) kind of calms down during the night because of the lack of direct physical stimulus.  So without the 'boss' around (the "I" construct as Einstein called it sometimes), the right side comes out to play, and mental thoughts become more emotive, with more direct influence of the amygdala (which is where fear and emotional trauma etc is sent).

How amazing is that. 

I'm sure APK's wife could further enlighten and/or correct my interpretation of that.

There are other theories, that I don't feel up to explaining because I'm just at the start of all of this.

On a similar note:

One thing I realised though, when I started learning about the brain hemispheres, is just how important art is.  I guess that I 'thought' that I understood art and felt that it was important to me.  But I never understood WHY people do art- it was just something that people with dispositions similar to myself and my friends did.  And learning about the right side of the brain made me realise that art is an attempt to communicate this part of ourselves, the part we can't express properly through words.  When I walked through a modern art gallery recently, I felt like I understood more than I ever have, why some people need to make art.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:28:26 PM by deepspace »
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »
So, last night...

I had this dream that all the sudden, a few people had given me a few cars.  I had a Fiat, an MG, a Triumph, and a couple of Volkswagons (all European?).  Also, I was being chased around by snakes again.  I'm talking A LOT of snakes, and they were fast and smiling and snapping their teeth at me.  The odd thing is I have somewhat of a fear of snakes, but when they chase me in my dreams, I'm not afraid of them.  I step on them, trick them, last night I grabbed a really big one and slammed it up against a mobile home, then skinned it and cleaned it and put it in a bag with some bell peppers and left them in a friends kitchen as a joke. So anyway, I was cleaning the dust off of the Fiat, which started out orange, then became blue and then green.  I took the Triumph out for a ride ( a TR3, love those cars), and found an invitation to some school.  Not just any school, but a certain school that they teach people things that they don't want alot of people to know.  Privileged information.  There was an interesting display of these alien creatures that have been running thing on earth for a number of years (thousands!).  The whole thing lost it's credibility when one of the displays I saw while on my way out was the dvd of the Steve Martin movie "The Man With Two Brains".  I did have a lot of fun driving around in the cars, even though it was raining while I was driving the Fiat with the top down.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »
I've got a book on dream interpretation, Freudian and Jungian, and here are a few interpretations to muddle over.

I had a bizarre dream when I was a kid, one that I'll never forget: Me and my Uncle Bob were in my basement, talking, when he said "Joe, I have something to show you". He opened his fist, and to my horror, showed me a handfull of spiders. He began chasing me around a giant, octopus furnace we had, throwing the spiders at me. Somehow, even though he was behind me, every one he threw landed right in my mouth, and I was spitting out spiders as I ran. It was horrible...

Insects are dream symbols from early childhood. A dream of killing insects may be recalling childhood hostility toward a brother or sister and may persist into adult life. I guess you could include uncles.

I had this dream that all the sudden, a few people had given me a few cars.  I had a Fiat, an MG, a Triumph, and a couple of Volkswagons (all European?).  Also, I was being chased around by snakes again.  I'm talking A LOT of snakes, and they were fast and smiling and snapping their teeth at me.  The odd thing is I have somewhat of a fear of snakes, but when they chase me in my dreams, I'm not afraid of them.  I step on them, trick them, last night I grabbed a really big one and slammed it up against a mobile home, then skinned it and cleaned it and put it in a bag with some bell peppers and left them in a friends kitchen as a joke. So anyway, I was cleaning the dust off of the Fiat, which started out orange, then became blue and then green.  I took the Triumph out for a ride ( a TR3, love those cars), and found an invitation to some school.  Not just any school, but a certain school that they teach people things that they don't want alot of people to know.  Privileged information.  There was an interesting display of these alien creatures that have been running thing on earth for a number of years (thousands!).  The whole thing lost it's credibility when one of the displays I saw while on my way out was the dvd of the Steve Martin movie "The Man With Two Brains".  I did have a lot of fun driving around in the cars, even though it was raining while I was driving the Fiat with the top down.

Cars represent our psyche, rain represents imagination and freedom to fertilize the dreamer's new project, a college represents an arena of intellectual and spiritual striving, a colder more impersonal concrete establishment may represent alienation. Interesting you mentioned alien creatures. Snakes represent the dark, incromprehensible and mysterious aspects of the self that must be confronted.

Steve

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:51:46 PM by sraymar »
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.