Author Topic: Jon Hassell and Dhafer Yussef in Concert  (Read 2719 times)

1000snakes

• View Profile
Jon Hassell and Dhafer Yussef in Concert
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »
I just enjoyed a wonderful evening of music at the beautiful Chan Centre here in Vancouver. Jon Hassell along with his current band, Maarifa Street (featuring among others, Peter Freeman and J. A. Deane) finished their tour in support of his new ECM release. Opening the show was Tunisian musician Dhafer Youssef.
Youssef's virtuoso oud and inspired vocals were accompanied by piano, acoustic bass and the the amazing drumming of Satoshi Takeishi, a mixture of Jack DeJohnette and Glen Velez. A Beautifully intense set with stunning vocal performances and intricate rhythmic interplay.
Jon Hassell's performance was a gorgeous tapestry of deep dreamtime melodies from he and his violinist backed by the harmonically rich, sometimes glitchy sonic stylings gently pushed along by minimal percussive suggestions and dub bass lines. One portion of the music sounded a bit like Hassell's narcotic trumpet was playing over a Steve Roach atmosphere. Very, very sensual music to say the least. I look forward to the ECM release, which comes 25 years after his last recording for that label, the milestone, "Power Spot".
Peace, Kirk

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Jon Hassell and Dhafer Yussef in Concert
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »
Yes the night before I saw this exact show in Los Angeles at the lovely Royce Hall, UCLA, lucky for me I was in the perfect spot to see the show, six row dead center. 

Youssef was a very pleasant surprise, no one I knew was expecting it, he was very heady and energetic. Then Jon and the band came out and blew us all away. Such a delicate set of music from something mostly electronic based. Jon set a new bar for restraint and refinement with lots of energy in a live concert environment. I kept thinking in the movie Blade Runner if their had been an opium den, then Jon and his band would have been the house band for it.

Speaking of Steve Roach, Steve flew in from Tucson for the day just to see the show. He and Jeff Fayman sat next to me. The only other ambient guy I saw at the show was Tom Heasley. After the show we got to speak to Jon very briefly, he mentioned he was flying into Vancouver that morning, they had a 4:30 AM flight, and that he had not slept in two days!  After that we decided to leave him alone so he could maybe get a bit of sleep before catching his flight. A great show, the highlight of the year so far.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »
I saw Hassell's show here in NYC (though without Yussef) at Carnegie Hall last Tuesday.  A wonderful night of music.

Got the new ECM disc at the show, too—if you liked the concert, you'll love the new album.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:41:45 PM by Brian Bieniowski »

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
I didn't know he was on tour. Wonder if he's coming (or already played) here in Seattle. Would be sad to have missed him. Maarifa Street is an excellent album, Hassell is one of my favorites.

I would consider him to be one of the main inspirations for Steve Roach.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
I didn't know he was on tour. Wonder if he's coming (or already played) here in Seattle.

Vancouver was your best bet, that's as close as he came to Seattle and it was the last stop on his North American tour.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:17:09 PM »
I have never heard any of these artists...