Author Topic: Swarm of Drones - clever track numbers or pain in the ass?  (Read 2850 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Swarm of Drones - clever track numbers or pain in the ass?
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
I'm in the process of ripping my CD collection into a central server; so far so good.  Tonight, I ripped the "Drones" series (Throne of Drones, Storm of Drones, and Swarm of Drones).  Disk two of "Swarm" will not rip; my PC's drive just spins and spins.  I put it in my laptop; same thing.  It plays fine on several systems, but no computer can recognize it.  So, I do a bit of Googling...  turns out that they numbered the tracks on disk two starting with 11, not 1, to keep in sequence with disk one.  Well, how clever - this means that most PC drives (which look for track one) get confused.  Thus, it's un-rippable.  GRR!!!

I'm making an analog copy on my Philips CD burner; it seems to be starting with track one, so this should work.  I'll let you know how it goes...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Swarm of Drones - clever track numbers or pain in the ass?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:45:38 AM »
Well, that was fast...  it just kicked out of my recorder; apparently it's not readable there either.

Damn you, Sombient!!!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »
Just popped my copy into the computer to see if it works on a Mac (I've got a G5), and it's recognized in iTunes like any other disc.  Know anybody with a Mac you can borrow?   ;D

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »
i've encountered this problem with that set as well. weird thing is that it plays on cheap cd players like module systems and walkmans but not on pc's or higher end gear.
btw: is sombient a sublabel of asphodel? i recall that they were trying to make it a subgenre of ambient (and i loved their definition - plunderphonics!.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:03:24 PM by jim brenholts »
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
I just tried the same thing on my laptop using XP.  Itunes doesn't recognize it, but the cda files do show up in Windows Explorer.  Have you tried using another application like dBPowerAmp to convert the cda/wavs to mp3?  Maybe you could then import them in manually into Itunes.

Forrest

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:17:37 PM »
it also worked for me in acid pro. i was able to load them as wav's and convert to mp3 as needed.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »
i've encountered this problem with that set as well. weird thing is that it plays on cheap cd players like module systems and walkmans but not on pc's or higher end gear.
btw: is sombient a sublabel of asphodel? i recall that they were tryibg to make it a subgenre of ambient (and i loved their definition - plunderphonics!.)

Hi Jim - On the origin of plunderphonics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunderphonics

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll try these tricks.  This is so annoying.

Maybe I need a Mac.

www.sundummy.com

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
Trya  program called grabber... That may help. - J.