Author Topic: Best of 2007  (Read 18816 times)

g.@.b.

Re: Best of 2007
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »
I don't look at it as "stealing music" any more than a radio station playing my CD is stealing it.  If someone posted a link to an entire album's worth of MP3 or FLAC files I might (probably would) object, but that's very different.  For that matter, if someone posted their "mix" as a link to a bunch of separate MP3 tracks zipped up in one folder, I probably would object to that, too.  You'll notice that these are long, continuous mixes with a variety of music, rather than a collection of discrete tracks.

I may be the only one looking at it that way, but the idea of "piracy" never occurred to me when I saw these mixes.  I thought about it more in the positive sense of sharing, like "Here's some stuff you'll probably like and want to investigate," rather than "Here's some stuff to add to your MP3 collection so you won't have to buy the CD."
Agreed.  I see this as someone who has listened, taken the time to assemble a bit of 'best-of' (or in the case of for example Dave Michuda's mixes - a particular mood/thought) list for '07, and then put together a mix showcasing those tracks.  I d/l both Alan and Dave's mixes, thought they were both quite good - and as a result found about a half-dozen titles that I need to pick up.

Jason

I post mixes too, occasionally. Although they’re technically individual tracks, they’re cross-faded with software. I do that so one has the ability to access the mix @ mid-point, or anywhere else in the mix rather than have it be one 80 minute listen.

If one were to play only the individual track, they’d get some of the end of the previous song as well as the beginning of the next song...and an abrupt stop at the end, rather than a fade-out.

When I download a mix that I want to keep, I usually re-rip it, adding track markers so that I can more easily access the mix during playback. I don’t usually post the links here specifically because I use artists who are members of the forum and wouldn’t want to annoy them if the were of the opinion that I was helping to "rip them off."

And I never give away entire albums. But if someone wanted to explore a new genre of music (Jazz, for example), I'd send them either one of my Jazz mixes or half a dozen indivual tracks by different artists, to give them a sampling with which to judge/base their future purchases.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
I don't look at it as "stealing music" any more than a radio station playing my CD is stealing it.  If someone posted a link to an entire album's worth of MP3 or FLAC files I might (probably would) object, but that's very different.  For that matter, if someone posted their "mix" as a link to a bunch of separate MP3 tracks zipped up in one folder, I probably would object to that, too.  You'll notice that these are long, continuous mixes with a variety of music, rather than a collection of discrete tracks.

I may be the only one looking at it that way, but the idea of "piracy" never occurred to me when I saw these mixes.  I thought about it more in the positive sense of sharing, like "Here's some stuff you'll probably like and want to investigate," rather than "Here's some stuff to add to your MP3 collection so you won't have to buy the CD."
Agreed.  I see this as someone who has listened, taken the time to assemble a bit of 'best-of' (or in the case of for example Dave Michuda's mixes - a particular mood/thought) list for '07, and then put together a mix showcasing those tracks.  I d/l both Alan and Dave's mixes, thought they were both quite good - and as a result found about a half-dozen titles that I need to pick up.

Jason

I post mixes too, occasionally. Although they’re technically individual tracks, they’re cross-faded with software. I do that so one has the ability to access the mix @ mid-point, or anywhere else in the mix rather than have it be one 80 minute listen.

If one were to play only the individual track, they’d get some of the end of the previous song as well as the beginning of the next song...and an abrupt stop at the end, rather than a fade-out.

When I download a mix that I want to keep, I usually re-rip it, adding track markers so that I can more easily access the mix during playback. I don’t usually post the links here specifically because I use artists who are members of the forum and wouldn’t want to annoy them if the were of the opinion that I was helping to "rip them off."

And I never give away entire albums. But if someone wanted to explore a new genre of music (Jazz, for example), I'd send them either one of my Jazz mixes or half a dozen indivual tracks by different artists, to give them a sampling with which to judge/base their future purchases.

One of the worst offenders of the 'free' album giveaway is the person or persons running the 'deleted scenes, forgotten dreams' blog.  I know several of our releases are up there, and we didn't authorize it.  A review and a pic is fine, and even clips from the album are o.k., but this person is blatant about putting links to entire recordings up on this blog.   I've seen everything from boots to a 12k promo sampler, LP only and cassette releases up there.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »
One of the worst offenders of the 'free' album giveaway is the person or persons running the 'deleted scenes, forgotten dreams' blog.  I know several of our releases are up there, and we didn't authorize it.  A review and a pic is fine, and even clips from the album are o.k., but this person is blatant about putting links to entire recordings up on this blog.   I've seen everything from boots to a 12k promo sampler, LP only and cassette releases up there.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Yeah, that site gives me a stomach-ache.  Definitely more of a "fill out your collection for free" vibe than any kind of promotional intent.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Yeah, that site gives me a stomach-ache.  Definitely more of a "fill out your collection for free" vibe than any kind of promotional intent.
Yeah, this blog is a bit fucked up. But Alex Cobb from Student of Decays posted a few
nice comments for them, and one "jerk" left the blog and agreed in everything
Alex and Peter Wright were complaining. I usually see no problem, if they would
post the releases after they are sold out or oop. But posting them only 3-4 days
after the official VÖ is really fucked up.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
I hated to see this active topic buried under a bunch of "MOVED" topic notices, so I'm bumping this one up to the first page.  If there's no interest in posting here further, I'll just let it drop off again.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
Well, I finally compiled my "Best" list (one reason I'm always so late is I give the 'late-comers' to my mailbox a fair chance to get in under the wire') but the fine folks at New Age Reporter are really busy with compiling their own "best of the year" semi-finalist votes, so they haven't posted mine yet. I decided to go ahead and post the list here (and one or two other places) because I want my highly sought after opinions (LOL ;D) "officially" noted before much longer. So, this same list (along with one for my best of 2007 new age music recordings) will eventually appear (probably in the next week or so) at NAR. As a result, if you made the list and want to know when this will appear, that's my best guess.

PROLOGUE
I decided that this year I wouldn’t have the electronica/chill-out albums compete with the drifting Eno-esque ambient releases, since the subgenres are so dissimilar. It would have been almost impossible for me to try to limit my list to just ten or twelve if I had lumped all the various types of ambient music into one category. While you may notice that a number of these recordings have not yet been formally reviewed, I assure you that I have listened to them enough to judge them worthy of inclusion on this list.

THE TEN BEST CHILL-OUT, ELECTRONICA, and ELECTRONIC ALBUMS OF 2007

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
TRISTAN FELDBAUER, MAIA WACKERNAGEL, LAURENT NEU AND ALAN MUELLER
Recordings
Tristan Feldbauer Music
The rare “perfect” album, Recordings is the best “late-night-driving-around-the-city” album I’ve ever heard. As superb on the twentieth playing as it was the first. Feldbauer and company make music so good it’s almost criminally addictive. I can’t stop playing this release even these many months after finishing the review.

BEST OF THE REST (alphabetic by artist)

RICHARD BONE
Infinite Plastic Creation
Quirkwork

THIERRY DAVID
Zen Pause
Real Music

DI EVANTILE   
Inertia
Self-released (Oleg Somov)

GEODESIUM
A Gentle Rain of Starlight
LochNess Productions

DAVID HELPLING AND JON JENKINS
Treasure
Spotted Peccary

PARALLEL WORLDS
Obsessive Surrealism
DiN

FRANK VAN BOGAERT
Nomads
Groove Unltd

ERIK WØLLO
Elevations
Spotted Peccary

VARIOUS ARTISTS
max.chillroom
New Land Music

2007 AMBIENT MUSIC
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS

The two recordings listed below stand apart from the “Ten Best” list which follows because of how atypical they each are compared to the rest of the releases as well as how each one represents an unparalleled achievement in musical vision as well as an amazingly rich listening experience. I simply couldn’t place them into the usual ambient category since their “sound” is so unlike the other albums here.

ROBERT SCOTT THOMPSON
Sanctum
EMF Media
Like its sonic (not chronological) predecessor, Acousma, Sanctum travels the path of abstract musicality through the sonic manipulation of assorted (and sometimes unexpected) sound sources, leading the adventurous listener to landscapes of startling yet idiosyncratic beauty. It’s an album to be savored and experienced in rapt attentive detail.

MICO NONET
The Marmalade Balloon
Mico Nonet Records
Staggeringly beautiful, this marriage of subtly applied synths with viola, cello, French horn and oboe may bring tears to your eyes as the music creeps into sorrowful somber corners of the soul with utmost grace and compassion. Chamber music for the 21st century.

THE TEN BEST AMBIENT ALBUMS OF 2007

ALBUM OF THE YEAR: A THREE-WAY TIE

JEFF GREINKE
Winter Light
Lotuspike
Greinke revisits the melancholic grace and beauty of the earlier Wide View but fine-tunes it to the pristine somberness of evoking frozen landscapes through melancholic melodic phrases and refrains. The result is a superbly realized haunting experience.

MANITOU
All Points North
SLO.BOR Media
Manitou’s masterpiece of intimate minimalism features brief ambient sketches comprised of warm drones, tones and textures that “sounds like” the emotions evoked by perusing the faded photograph album of a good friend.

BRUNO SANFILIPPO
Piano Textures
ad21 Music
Sanfilippo explores the myriad possibilities of the titular instrument to dramatic effect, always accessible yet never pedestrian. The album is provocative yet involving on a emotional level.

BEST OF THE REST (alphabetic by artist)

BETWEEN INTERVAL
Autumn Continent
Spotted Peccary

NELSON FOLTZ AND TOM LYNN
Still Life Volume Three
Self-released

MARK MAHONEY AND M. PECK
The Gallery of Subtle Smiles
Self-released

DEOBORAH MARTIN and J ARIF VERNER
Anno Domini
Spotted Peccary

NA-KOJA-ABAD
Dreamfall: Veils and Visions
Muamer Music

M.PECK
Glacial
Gears of Sand

TELOMERE
The Stellar Sea
Evenfall

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2008, 09:28:04 PM »
Thanks for including us, Bill.  That's quite an honor.

Mark Mahoney

darren bergstein

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »
yeah, running late myself...

here's my own declarations, and preamble, also posted @ ei-mag.com & perfect sound forever (perfectsoundforever.com). one or two of these *might* have been late 2006 issues, but what the hey...

- - - -

TOP 15 OF 2007 (in alphabetical order)

2007...well, numerically the year doesn't matter. The music continues, the amount of good music being released continues, unabated. What keeps metamorphosing is the mode of delivery. Downloading and the MP3 medium are becoming the norm; CDs are going the way of the dodo, I'm afraid, contrary to what anyone says. The audiovisual artform is in danger of extinction—the writing's on the wall, the future looks dim. I, for one, will always champion music as a synergistic collaboration between aural rendering and tactile physicality. This year I made it a personal mandate to acquire recordings that were designed to intentionally supersede the limitations of the jewel box, created by designers/label proprietors/artists who recognize that such attendant tactility enhances the aural component and helps to slow the momentum of an art form inevitably sliding into the solipsistic realm of faceless, unsensate data. Regarding the genres of electronic(a) and experimental music: they both might have went more underground this year, but so what? Mainstreaming such musics, or pigeonholing their respective artists, was a fool's gesture anyway. More tellingly, this was the year I 'rediscovered' synth/sequencer music, strolling amidst the borogroves of memory (moog) lane, and loving every minute of it. The list below is, of course, subjective (as are all lists of this type), and can well exceed 15 (or 25, as the case might be), simply representative of another 365 days that never failed to surprise, titillate, confound, and challenge.

- AS LONELY AS DAVE BOWMAN Pod (Projekt)
- CHRIS HERBERT Mezzotint (Kranky)
- DONNACHA COSTELLO Colorseries (Minimise)
- ELVE Infinite Garden (Virtualworld)
- GIUSEPPE IELASI August (12k)
- GÜNTER MÜLLER Live & Replayed (Esquilo)
- IAN BODDY Elemental (DiN)
- NELSON FOLTZ / TOM LYNN Still Life Vols. 1-3 (Still Life)
- O YUKI CONJUGATE The Euphoria of Disobedience (OYC Limited)
- RADIO MASSACRE INTERNATIONAL Blacker (Northern Echo)
- ROBERT FRIPP Churchscapes (DGM)
- STARVING WEIRDOS Father Guru (Azul Discografica)
- STEINBRUCHEL Basis (Line)
- STEVE ROACH Arc of Passion (Projekt)
- YANN NOVAK Meadowsweet (Dragon’s Eye)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
stephen philips - soundtrack from the sobbing stone
byron metcalf - a warning from the elders

i have been listening to these two discs quite a bit over the past week or so. they are absolutely amazing. i might get around to doing "best of year" lists again but i doubt it - too disorganized right now.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com