Author Topic: Best of 2007  (Read 19380 times)

Kent M

Re: Best of 2007
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 05:57:12 PM »
Some of my favorites from 2007:

Sylvain Chauveau | Nuage (Type)
Oren Ambarchi | In The Pendulum's Embrace (Touch)
Goldmund | Two Point Discrimination (Western Vinyl)
Jóhann Jóhannsson | Englabörn - re-issue (4AD)
BJNilsen | The Short Night (Touch)
Fennesz + Sakamoto | Cendre (Touch)
Stars of the Lid | And Their Refinement of the Decline (Kranky)
Pjusk | Sart (12k)
Mark Templeton | Standing on a Hummingbird (Anticipate Recordings)

And the lovely Sigur Rós Heima DVD

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »

note - I moved this post to the 'flatscreen tv' thread.   John 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:49:07 AM by jkn »

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 07:06:15 AM »
2007 has been a good year for me, with lots of great releases:

Arc - Fracture
Arcane - Pulse
Audela - Audela
Create - Space Time Continuum
Eppie E Hulshof - Besucher Aus Dem Kosmos
OYC - the euphoria of disobedience
Parallel Worlds - Obsessive Surrealism
Stephen Parsick - Schwarzschild & Deltaplan
Phaenon - Submerged
Brendan Pollard - Flux Echoes
['ramp] & markus reuter - ceasing to exist
Redshift - Last
RMI - Blacker
Volt - Nucleosynthesis
Wintherstormer - Woodwork

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 08:06:30 AM »
I forgot to mention the fine Parallel Worlds release in my earlier post.  I've added it. 

jkn
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Undershadow

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
15 of 2007's Best from over here:

ATOMINE ELEKTRINE: Nebulous (Essence)
PAUL BRADLEY: Cede (Waterscape) [3” minidisc]
PAUL BRADLEY: Searching for the Way (Locus of Assemblage) [3” minidisc]
JEFRE CANTU-LEDESMA: The Garden Of Forking Paths (Spekk)
HAKOBUNE: Sense of Place (U-cover CD-r)
ANDERS ILAR: Ludwijka - Extended Visit (Shitkatapult)
ROD MODELL: Plays Michael Mantra (Silentes)
MOLJEBKA PVLSE: Driftsond (Gears of Sand)
NORTHERN: Drawn (Infraction)
ADAM PACIONE: From Stills to Motion (Infraction)
QUOSP: Soundscapes 1 (U-cover CD-r)
SEEFEEL: Quique (Redux Edition) (Too Pure)
SLEEPRESEARCH_FACILITY: Deep Frieze (Cold Spring)
THE BEAUTIFUL SCHIZOPHONIC: Musicamorosa (Crónica)
UBEBOET: Spectra (Twenty Hertz)

Following on the example set by Brian and others, I've made available for download a mix containing tracks from my Best of 2007 list above. The link below is to a .zip file which contains a continuous mp3 (128 kps bitrate) of 78:27 mins in length plus a word document giving a blow-by-blow tracklisting. It's predominantly beatless ambient-inclined material, though several tracks have discreet beat presences. Hope you'll get a kick or two out of it, as I did in compiling it: Grab it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5q6fta

zappamusic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 05:01:18 AM »
hello everyone,

here my list of 2007:

1   cymphonic          strataradialis
2   in scissors          the veratrine evangelicum
3   off the sky          the geist cycles
4   danny kreutzfeldt          numberground
5   atrium carceri          ptahil
6   Entheogenic Sound Explorers the shroom experience
7   grimbergen          a lonely place
8   desiderii marginis          seven sorrows
9   sturm                       le prix du sang et des larmes
10   sleepresearchfacility      deep frieze

also very nice, the arctic monkeys, editors(joy division of 2000).

not yet heard murcof - comos

I hope 2008 will bring a lot of new musical beauty's.

greetings,

zappamusic
truth is not beauty,
beauty is not love,
love is not music,
music is the best.

zappa

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
15 of 2007's Best from over here:

ATOMINE ELEKTRINE: Nebulous (Essence)
PAUL BRADLEY: Cede (Waterscape) [3” minidisc]
PAUL BRADLEY: Searching for the Way (Locus of Assemblage) [3” minidisc]
JEFRE CANTU-LEDESMA: The Garden Of Forking Paths (Spekk)
HAKOBUNE: Sense of Place (U-cover CD-r)
ANDERS ILAR: Ludwijka - Extended Visit (Shitkatapult)
ROD MODELL: Plays Michael Mantra (Silentes)
MOLJEBKA PVLSE: Driftsond (Gears of Sand)
NORTHERN: Drawn (Infraction)
ADAM PACIONE: From Stills to Motion (Infraction)
QUOSP: Soundscapes 1 (U-cover CD-r)
SEEFEEL: Quique (Redux Edition) (Too Pure)
SLEEPRESEARCH_FACILITY: Deep Frieze (Cold Spring)
THE BEAUTIFUL SCHIZOPHONIC: Musicamorosa (Crónica)
UBEBOET: Spectra (Twenty Hertz)

Following on the example set by Brian and others, I've made available for download a mix containing tracks from my Best of 2007 list above. The link below is to a .zip file which contains a continuous mp3 (128 kps bitrate) of 78:27 mins in length plus a word document giving a blow-by-blow tracklisting. It's predominantly beatless ambient-inclined material, though several tracks have discreet beat presences. Hope you'll get a kick or two out of it, as I did in compiling it: Grab it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5q6fta

I got a few kicks out of it.
Especially enjoyed the Sleepresearch and Modell tracks. Were all good things though
Thanks for posting !

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
Can I ask a question? When someone hear posts a link to a special mix that's he/she has created and made available, is it a) a download or b) a stream and also...ummm...not sure how to ask this....do I assume no one cares about this from a royalty standpoint. God knows I've made lots of special mixes for friends and co-workers on CD-Rs as a way to introduce them to music, but those are one-to-one. With all the artists on this forum, I would think that if any of you objected to one of these folks making these special mixes and then posting a link to the download/stream, you would object, rather strenuously, too.

I don't mean to stir the pot...and I'm certainly not opposed to anyone doing this. It's just that I know the whole idea of "stealing music" has come up here over the last few years and, IIRC, some of you have strong opinions about it. Is it because here on the Forum we are a "community" so any sharing is amongst ourselves and is acceptable?

Anyway, hopefully none of you are p.o'd at me for bringing it up. I'm really just asking out of naivete (sp?). Plus, if it's an acceptable practice, I may try my hand at it, as the people I've done special mix CD-Rs for have complimented me on the track selection and sequencing. I just have to find out how to put it up on a server (and find the space to do so).

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
I don't look at it as "stealing music" any more than a radio station playing my CD is stealing it.  If someone posted a link to an entire album's worth of MP3 or FLAC files I might (probably would) object, but that's very different.  For that matter, if someone posted their "mix" as a link to a bunch of separate MP3 tracks zipped up in one folder, I probably would object to that, too.  You'll notice that these are long, continuous mixes with a variety of music, rather than a collection of discrete tracks.

I may be the only one looking at it that way, but the idea of "piracy" never occurred to me when I saw these mixes.  I thought about it more in the positive sense of sharing, like "Here's some stuff you'll probably like and want to investigate," rather than "Here's some stuff to add to your MP3 collection so you won't have to buy the CD."
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
I agree with Mike on this... a mix is sort of like listening to a radio dj... or getting a mixtape... that sort of thing.  Technically - yeah - it's not legal acording to the RIAA.   Although I like to think of it as more of a grey area.   On the other hand - full albums, individual tracks, etc... yep - that would be more of a problem to me.    I like the mixes though - in fact I'm planning on grabbing the ones posted.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Undershadow

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
Yup. Mike kind of covered the main points of a response I would have made to Bill's query about self-made mixtape posting/sharing. I'd also add, taking up jkn's analogy to the radio dj, that I had a choice about what bitrate to generate the MP3 as, and I deliberately chose 128 kps as a rate that's good enough quality to represent the music with reasonable fidelity, but not really good enough if you want something to have and to hold. I would argue that this might be seen more in the spirit of promoting these artists rather than taking something from them.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
Right, that sums it up.  When I see a mix like this, one continuous track, I see it as someone promoting the music, rather than helping people find a way not to buy it.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »
I think its a grey area, both questionable and yet useful.

Clearly a mix is like a compilation album that a label might release. And the tracks are copyrighted. I've seen mixes with rather long tracks on them (Steve Roach for example) in pretty good quality. I can understand if artists and labels get a little concerned about how many tracks are being put out this way to a fairly large listening public. A good mix album can be as good as any compilation a label might put out. So I can see the "stealing" angle quite clearly.

But it's also useful. Quite simply, it's very good advertising. These are selected & recommended pieces that people might otherwise not know. Yes, a bit like a radio station, but more permanent and probably better quality.

I'm also happier if the tracks are run / crossfaded together, rather than separate. And, as Alan just pointed out, maybe 128 kbs mp3 is good enough and will provide a little impetus for people to get the full quality original.

So yep, I can live with mixes if they released in the right spirit, and right format.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »
Well, I guess I will have to listen one of these mixes to see what you all mean...I take it what's played are track "segments" and, as one or two have stated, the tracks cross-fade so it's not really indiv. tracks but one long soundscape. And thanks for the tip, should I do this, of encoding at 128b. Now I just have to find out who can host the mp3 if I do this. And that's provided anyone wants to sample MY taste in music!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 02:05:31 PM »
Bill -- on hosting, look at the place where Alan put his mix.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
Well, notice that the people who are posting these links are either using their own web site host like Evan/Somnia did, or public file hosting sites, like Alan did.  If you don't have the former, use the latter.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
Wow, you must type faster than me!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
Faster than a speeding bullet !
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »
I can't resist the siren's call of the "Best of..." list format! It has made lazy music journalists lives-on-deadline-in-January easier for eons so it must have some merit!

Well, there are many great releases. I usually exclude more esoteric forms of contemporary classical etc. and stick to pop or quasi-pop music. So here, in no particular order, are discs that made me happy in 2007:

1. Dean & Britta - Back Numbers

Soon to return to Vancouver for Valentines Day. Very appropriate!

2. Robert Rich - Illumination

Just when you thought installation soundtracks had become nothing more than foley work!

3. Sakamoto/Fennesz - Cendre

Besides the obvious quotes from Satie and Debussy, this is a model for laptop-tweaked etudes.

4. Harold Budd & Robin Guthrie - Day Breaks/Night Falls

Like sonic heroin...as I imagine it.

5. Eivind Aarset - Sonic Codex

Heavy riffage tempered with delicate beauty. The modern treated-guitar power trio.

6. Alva Noto - Xxerox

Sounds pulled from the ether of modern life. True grit.

7. Plant & Krauss - Raising Sand

Who knew? Perfect chemistry.

8. Susanna - Sonata Mix Dwarf Cosmos

OK. A bit precious. But spare, crystalline songwriting.

9. SOTL - Refinement of the Decline

The grand return of acoustic richness to the ambient genre. A double from some modern masters.

10. Northern - Drawn

A lovely, homecooked mental travelogue from Edmonton. The winters inspire, evidently.

11. Adam Pacione - From Stills to Motion

Another quiet, rich would-be cinematic journey on the Infraction label out of Ohio.

12. Sandro Perri - Tiny Mirrors

First heard him as Polmo Polpo. This gem reveals the songwriter and a delicate soulful voice.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 05:22:44 AM »
I don't look at it as "stealing music" any more than a radio station playing my CD is stealing it.  If someone posted a link to an entire album's worth of MP3 or FLAC files I might (probably would) object, but that's very different.  For that matter, if someone posted their "mix" as a link to a bunch of separate MP3 tracks zipped up in one folder, I probably would object to that, too.  You'll notice that these are long, continuous mixes with a variety of music, rather than a collection of discrete tracks.

I may be the only one looking at it that way, but the idea of "piracy" never occurred to me when I saw these mixes.  I thought about it more in the positive sense of sharing, like "Here's some stuff you'll probably like and want to investigate," rather than "Here's some stuff to add to your MP3 collection so you won't have to buy the CD."

Agreed.  I see this as someone who has listened, taken the time to assemble a bit of 'best-of' (or in the case of for example Dave Michuda's mixes - a particular mood/thought) list for '07, and then put together a mix showcasing those tracks.  I d/l both Alan and Dave's mixes, thought they were both quite good - and as a result found about a half-dozen titles that I need to pick up.

Jason