Author Topic: List of words it is not OK to ever say  (Read 18780 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: List of words it is not OK to ever say
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
Not a word, but I'm really sick of seeing this girl all over the internet:

lena, wait a second - is this the thread for who do you look like?

Why, Jim?

Do you look like her?

no, but i do look like the violation banner.

as regards ftw - i always thought of it with a slightly different meaning than "for the win"
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
Hey, alright! They finally took her down!  ;D
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
Yeah, lolspeak is rampant on forums and online games i guess, but it does seem to be waning, as people can now use the genre itself to undermine a poster's point/comment, so people with half a brain are less likely to use it. 

i think lolspeak has also evolved out of handy shortcuts in online communication/gaming, where there isn't always time to type exactly what you want.  (headsets are solved that to some extent), but people have started to verbally use the abbreviated texts, which is interesting.  'going afk'  or 'bio' (means you're going to the bathroom!!) are now common things to say if you're doing a bit of gaming and people are using headsets. 

another irritating shortcut is to say 'kk' instead of 'ok'....it took me a while to figure that one out.  it's the same number of letters, but you don't have to move your hand to the O key, so people use kk....how silly is that.  and now they say 'kk' instead of ok. 
We're really seeing strange little evolutions in language, i guess due to these highly detailed alternate worlds that people are starting to reside in.  It would be very fascinating to drop a non-gamer into a raid, and see just how much they understood. 
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
When did basketball players go from being tall to being long?  I can't stand analysts saying things like "U-Conn plays with a lot of length."

Sports are good for a ton of words & phrases that should be be banned.  A few recent ones that come to mind...

"It is what it is."
"Manny being Manny"
"at the end of the day..."
"under the bus"

Working in TV news I see cliched, poor writing everyday.  A few words/phrases that get overused include...

under fire
recent memory
aftermath
killing spree
fled on foot
slated
campaign trail
in harm's way
area residents

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
When did basketball players go from being tall to being long?  I can't stand analysts saying things like "U-Conn plays with a lot of length."

Sports are good for a ton of words & phrases that should be be banned.  A few recent ones that come to mind...

"It is what it is."
"Manny being Manny"
"at the end of the day..."
"under the bus"

every year, gene collier, a local sportswriter, presents an "award" for the trite sports cliche of the year. it is what it is has won the award twice.

as for newscasters, i love how they always say police are still investigating. like they'd stop investigating!????!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
Ssssccccchhhhwwweeeet!!!!
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 11:45:26 PM »
After sporting upsets:  "He's (she's/they've) done the impossible!"

Um, no, that'd make it improbable, not impossible...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »

Dave, this was something that used to actually mean something.  Originally, a basketball player described as "long" was a guy with long reach, or long armspan, who might only be, let's say, 6' 10" but due to his long arms he might block shots or play defense equivalent to a guy 7' 2".  Human beings usually have a wingspan (measurement of extended fingertip-to-fingertip) almost exactly the same as their height.

See here: http://www.82games.com/trueheight.htm

The problem is, you're right that a lot of announcers have recently decided "length" is a synonym for "height" which is kind of pointless, because it was useful to have a term that described a guy who wasn't quite as tall, but had an unusually wide wingspan.

Former NBA player Manute Bol had a wingspan of nearly 9 feet, if I remember right!  Of course, he was 7' 7" or so tall, which helps.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »

Former NBA player Manute Bol had a wingspan of nearly 9 feet, if I remember right!  Of course, he was 7' 7" or so tall, which helps.
unfortunately, he had all the coordination of an ice cube and the basketball ability of a small rodent.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »

unfortunately, he had all the coordination of an ice cube and the basketball ability of a small rodent.

It's rough when you're 7' 7" and 220 pounds

But he actually wasn't as bad as you say.  He did spend about ten years in the NBA, which doesn't happen when you're terrible.

Manute Bol for threeeeee!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:17:42 AM by mgriffin »
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
It bugs me when people say "brah" for "bro, but it bugs me even more when people actually write it as "brah."  (Hey brah, 'sup?) Ugh... :P

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »
Linguistic shortcuts are ok on packing slips and for quick note taking.
Beyond that they are an affectation.

Affectations can be interesting.

Especially to cultural anthropologists.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
When people write, 'would of' instead of 'would have' (As in, I would of pwned that dude, yo) I want to reach into the Internet and throttle them. I'm seeing this more and more these days.

Stay in school, kids.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »
and when people use unnecessary apostrophes or confuse there and their. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:( :o
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 01:36:35 AM »
prhps txt culture is partly 2 blme - even cing brite frenz do it 2.....(took me ages to work out how to do that!!)

general use of home made abbreviations to 'speed up' communication is likely to overflow into other areas of life - imagine the letters from tax/IRS :o

Sighthound

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
"on the same page" as in "we're not on the same page", and " at the end of the day" indicating what should be in place, happening,  or who should be in charge or responsible.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
my 21 year old niece was talking about something and she said "back in the day ...."
i told her, "jen, you are in the day!"
i hate that term.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »
Ok, I need to run these by the forum:

I somehow got stuck on the word "rad", as in, "That shit is rad!" I am a grown man, and probably shouldn't be living back in the 80's but I can't help it; this is maybe the only piece of leftover slang from, ahem, those days...Jim, I was about to say "from back in the day" but I have restrained myself, damnit. But do I need to give up my rads? Or for that matter, I love calling certain people "dude". Has dude become cool since The Big Lebowsky? Or is using the word just being ironic about being ironic about actually liking the word "dude"?

I also found myself saying the word Epic, and enjoying it, usually in combination with the word Shit. Epic Shit.

There are certain phrases from my California youth days that I use out of a sense of nostalgia...

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »
Ok, I need to run these by the forum:

I somehow got stuck on the word "rad", as in, "That shit is rad!" I am a grown man, and probably shouldn't be living back in the 80's but I can't help it; this is maybe the only piece of leftover slang from, ahem, those days...Jim, I was about to say "from back in the day" but I have restrained myself, damnit. But do I need to give up my rads? Or for that matter, I love calling certain people "dude". Has dude become cool since The Big Lebowsky? Or is using the word just being ironic about being ironic about actually liking the word "dude"?

I also found myself saying the word Epic, and enjoying it, usually in combination with the word Shit. Epic Shit.

There are certain phrases from my California youth days that I use out of a sense of nostalgia...
9dragons, If you want to use "rad", I'm cool with it.    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »
I think it's fun to say "dude" sometimes.

I even think it's fun to call females "dude."