Author Topic: Slow Flow  (Read 3357 times)

Undershadow

Slow Flow
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
Various :: Sounds of Slow Flow vol. 1 (Slow Flow Rec)

Just discovered Slow Flow, a new Japanese label owned by Sapporo-based musician Ryonkt, through this lovely compilation that dropped onto my desk out of a package from Celer (who have a track included).

http://artificialcolors.blogspot.com/2008/10/slow-flow.html

Only other name I recognise is that of Entia Non, who has an excellent track on it. One for those who like their ‘experimental ambient’ shot through with harmony more than noise, quiet but gripping swells and tender but not squidgy tone poetry that avoids either wrapping you up in cotton wool or subjecting your eardrums to sandpaper.

Sample the label’s sound here: www.myspace.com/slowflowryo

The tracks in the player there by Pawn and Seque are on this comp. The Celer track is from their (also compelling) album Cursory Asperses, Slow Flow’s second release. The first track in the player is from a forthcoming (I’m led to believe by Ryonkt’s website) album Stanze di Te by Italian newcomer Misound. I found more stuff from him in his player here: www.myspace.com/misound – see esp. the track “Sonno”, which just overwhelmed me with its gorgeous sad-happy post-Basinskian blue mood.

Slow Flow looks like a label to watch.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:50:44 PM by Undershadow »

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: Slow Flow
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered the comp.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »

The tracks in the player there by Pawn

Pawn has a new disc on Symbolic Interaction called 'Kitchen'.. http://www.symbolicinteraction.net/pgt01.html

A really fantastic album, great remixes. If anything, just leaves you wanting to hear more.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
"Slow Flow" sounds like a future Steve Roach album.  Guess they beat him to the name!

Undershadow

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:27:30 AM »
Yeah, in fact Roach has managed a Slow Heat and a Pure Flow, but has yet to forge the requisite soundworld to link 'Slow' and 'Flow'.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:45:04 AM »
Pure Heat is still up for grabs!

Any idea if the CDr is just in a clear plastic sleeve or in a jewel case with booklet?

Undershadow

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:12 AM »
Mine was in a simple paper sleeve - you know the type with the circular transparent cellophane bit through which you see the design on the CD-r surface. No jewel case or booklet. Then again, it might've been a reduced promo version.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »
Mine was in a simple paper sleeve - you know the type with the circular transparent cellophane bit through which you see the design on the CD-r surface. No jewel case or booklet. Then again, it might've been a reduced promo version.

yeah the white window sleeve is the standard packaging, just with the printed CDRs. Though our release had inserts inside, the comp had all the information on the disc.

Undershadow

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
For those interested, there's a review now posted here
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:39:48 AM by Undershadow »

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:40:17 AM »
I say if you like the Slow Flow Comp you should check out the Duck Bay compilation as well.  With the likes of Entia Non, Segue, Ryonkt, Chubby Wolf,...do you see what I mean both albums have the same artists participating on the comp...check here....

http://www.duckbay.net

Fern

Undershadow

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Fern. Still haven't grabbed this one yet.

In the meantime there's a nice newie on Slow Flow by BC, CA artist, Seque; should have no trouble drawing in lovers of that part of the ambient spectrum covered by <Kranky-12k-and/OAR-Spekk-Infraction>, playing roughly around <Tim Hecker-Taylor Deupree-Adam Pacione-Celer> zones:

Listen...

Nice review of Into the Fall here

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:59:09 AM by Undershadow »

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
new release:

‘In Escaping Lakes’ is the sequel to ‘Cursory Asperses’, previously released on Slow Flow. Where ‘Cursory Asperses’ focused on the slow movement primarily of streams, and other field recordings, ‘In Escaping Lakes’ continues this pathway to expand into a deeper subject, of lakes and their surroundings. Inspired by a painting by Anthony Feyer, ‘In Escaping Lakes’ was made to demonstrate enclosure, depth, and closeness in still places.

Will & Danielle: Piano, Strings, Gong, Tingshas, Voice, Electronics, Hydrophone, Flute

distribution link

http://slowflowrec.web.fc2.com/link.html