Author Topic: new - NUNC STANS: Meridian (on dataobscura)  (Read 2514 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
new - NUNC STANS: Meridian (on dataobscura)
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:24:29 PM »
Now available:

Nunc Stans: Meridian
Nunc Stans has always been inspired by far northern landscapes and the subjective states
that accompany or are induced by them. Much of this collection is a sonic analog of those
landscapes ....... drawn in sound across the silence.

A sublime journey through expansive soundworlds, rich with detail, immersive atmospheres,
and an underlying grandeur.

tracks & mp3 samples:
(samples are worth a thousand words, please have a listen)

- Meridian
- Where The Figures Were Drawn
- Departure Arrival
- Svalbard
- Nothing But The Sky
- We Do Not Know
- Excursion
- The Promise Of Return
- Watery Grave
- True North

Available as either CD or a Download encoded at 256kbs : DataObscura
Buy the album and you can have a free instant download if you email me or put a note in the order.

A full track can be heard on the Radio page --  Here

Many thanks.

APK
------------------------------
www.dataobscura.com/apk
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: new - NUNC STANS: Meridian (on dataobscura)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
I just got the Meridian download and am waiting for my cd. This is an excellent release. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I enjoy listening to the Nunc Stans releases in a desert environment. I know they were inspired by the Great Northwest, but they seem to work equally well as desert music for me. Maybe it has something to do with exteme weather? BTW, Anthony, sorry to hear about your igloo. (Oops, different thread  :-[ )     Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
I just got the Meridian download and am waiting for my cd. This is an excellent release. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I enjoy listening to the Nunc Stans releases in a desert environment. I know they were inspired by the Great Northwest, but they seem to work equally well as desert music for me. Maybe it has something to do with exteme weather? BTW, Anthony, sorry to hear about your igloo. (Oops, different thread  :-[ )     Harry

I'm glad to hear it's an excellent release, Harry. I've been catching up on a slew of CDs that I've just received, so haven't had much time to devote to the download. I've liked what I've heard though.

I can see why Nunc Stans would work as desert music. Anthony's more recent music has always reminded me of wide open spaces and big skys -I'm not sure why. Something about the sound...  it has a clear, crisp, rather dry sound...
 that's it! It's the "dry" sound that reminds you of desert. Or maybe it's the packet of sand and sagebrush twigs that he sends with every order.

But really, I would describe his sound as clear, crisp, and rather dry, if that makes any sense.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yes "wide open spaces and big skys", as Joe said.  I think of Nunc Stans as expansive, which contains that openess and vastness. I'd also add a strong sense of deserted, untouched by humans, into the mix. This is to do with the purity and grandeur of the far north. And I'd imagine there are similar experiences in desert-like landscapes, especially where rising drifts and desolate dry mountains replace the huge ice shelves and inhospitable snowy mountains of the far north.

And there are indeed a lot of "dry" sounds to recent Nunc Stans ... insect's wings, rustling sheaves of grasses, dry winds across barren landscapes, rattlings and hisses, drafts, crackling, rumbling rocks, subtle metallics, and small dust storms. They are all there.  Things creak, rather than ooze. :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »
But really, I would describe his sound as clear, crisp, and rather dry, if that makes any sense.
Yeah, Joe. That makes a lot of sense to me.
And there are indeed a lot of "dry" sounds to recent Nunc Stans ... insect's wings, rustling sheaves of grasses, dry winds across barren landscapes, rattlings and hisses, drafts, crackling, rumbling rocks, subtle metallics, and small dust storms. They are all there.  Things creak, rather than ooze.
That's a perfect explanation. "Sounds creak rather than ooze". Anyway, Meridian is a very enjoyable piece of music no matter what frame of reference you give it. Take a chance and enjoy!    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:00:30 PM »
Today Meridian arrived, had a chance to listen, and I must say it's excellent, as usual.  8)
I'll have more to say once I "absorb" it a bit more.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
Today Meridian arrived, had a chance to listen, and I must say it's excellent, as usual.  8)
I'll have more to say once I "absorb" it a bit more.

Always very good to hear that it meets with your approval, Joe.
Thanks.

I've been listening again now I have some distance, and I'm addicted to track 3  :)

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 07:49:37 AM »
I'm addicted to the gloomy and stormy Svalbard, and Excursion, The Promise Of Return, and the eerie and weird Watery Grave (Do I hear voices in that track?). Also Meridian, and the sad and wistful Where The Figures Were Drawn.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:53:11 AM by Joe R »