Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 3113 times)

hdibrell

• View Profile
Gardening
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »
I know it's not spring everywhere, but it definitely is here in South Texas. Anyone else doing any gardening this year? As far as edibles, we are planting two types of tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and jalapeno, serranno and bell peppers. We are also doing a bunch of herbs ( I hope DEA isn't monitoring the list  ;D ). I want to plant some more things, such as cabbage, carrots and eggplant, but I'll have to see how ambitious I get. ( I am by nature, kind of lazy).      Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »
It snowed and hailed here this weekend so we won't be planting anything very soon.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
Cold rain yesterday. Possibly snow again soon.
The igloo nearly got washed away  ;)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:31:23 PM »
when i was a child my father made gardening the most unpleasant chore possible and turned me against it forever.
we had a huge vegetable garden. when we had 7 cats we got a full harvest of the best veggies in the world. however, as the cats died off, the birds and rodents got most of the vegetables - especially the sugar snap peas.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
when i was a child my father made gardening the most unpleasant chore possible and turned me against it forever.
  That's funny, Jim. My dad did the same thing to us. He came from a farming/ ranching family and went to college and got his degree in agriculture. He, of course did the logical thing and joined the Army and became a helicopter/ fixed wing pilot. His colleagues always razzed him about his ag background, so he was determined that wherever we lived in the world he would grow the best vegetables to show them his stuff. Us kids  got stuck with the grunt work of digging and weeding, etc. It wasn't until my wife started gardening that I reluctantly became interested. Now I really enjoy it. Of course, she still does the lion's share of the work. I'm just "the help".  Sorry to hear about the weather other places. I wish we got more of the seasons here. People say we have two seasons in South Texas, summer and Christmas.  ;)  Harry

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »
We've got a community garden going up near our apartment building. I am excited to get in on it this summer. Tomatoes fresh from the garden cannot be replicated by the store bought stuff. It's amazing how different they are, even from the good quality organic ones. It's been so long since I've been around a garden, since my Italian grandparents had one when I was a kid. That was so good!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:21:09 PM by 9dragons »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
We've got a community garden going up near our apartment building. I am excited to get in on it this summer. Tomatoes fresh from the garden cannot be replicated by the store bought stuff. It's amazing how different they are, even from the good quality organic ones. It's been so long since I've been around a garden, since my Italian grandparents had one back in the day. That was so good!
You are so right! Tomatoes from the garden are great. If I could only grow one thing it would be tomatoes. So often, the ones you buy in the store have almost no flavor. They just look like tomatoes. I remember a community garden some friends of mine in Austin were part of. They had a lot of fun talking and sharing produce with the others. They also learned a lot from the more experienced gardeners in the group. Good luck with yours.    Harry

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:10:34 PM »
.............. one back in the day..............
see my last post in List of words it is not OK to ever say.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:12:32 PM by jim brenholts »
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
I can't stand gardening - just hate it.  But I can still get excellent, organic, fresh veggies from a farm co-op about 15 miles north of me.  I pay a flat monthly rate, and get a nice basket of stuff weekly, without having to do the work.  Perfect!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »
Anybody do any hydroponic gardening?

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »
.............. one back in the day..............
see my last post in List of words it is not OK to ever say.

Ha! Ok, post modified...