Author Topic: Tetsu Inoue  (Read 4671 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Tetsu Inoue
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Tetsu Inoue is an ambient/electronica mastermind, and I feel that his work is near the top of the greats in this field. I first got into Ambiant Otaku, which I found in the early days of my exploration of ambient music. It was an absolute dream to experience this album. Then I discovered the glitchy wondrous madness of his releases for the Tzadik label. I sold those albums at one point, when I got overloaded with that kind of music, but I am thinking it might be fun again to listen to them with my more experienced ears. Now I experience an album like Inland, which combines all his skill into a work that just keeps on giving. I had this one playing for days on end, and I think it is some of the greatest and most vital new ambient works out there. Excellent reissues of World Receiver and Slow and Low in the past couple years have made these classics accessible, and they are, for me, taking this artist up into the heights. He is able to do glitchy experiment and serene ambient in such a unique way, and now seems able to combine these two factors into an inspiring whole.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:36:41 AM by 9dragons »

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Tetsu Inoue
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »
he has done some amazing work and some that did absolutely nothing for me at all. his cd with dupree - i think it was active freeze - was, for me, so bad it almost hurt. on the other hand, his collabs with namlook are awesome and i agree with 9 d - ambient otaku is a great album.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

cvac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
I'm a huge fan of his first 4 solo cds. I've never heard any of his more recent work or the Namlook collab stuff. Slow and Low might be my favorite of the 4.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »
Shades of Orion 2 and Shades of Orion 3 (both w/Namlook) are two of my all-time fave DID's.   

Undershadow

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
I missed out on all the FAX-related hoo-ha in the 90s, and so slept on some early Inoue releases that I've since found much-trumpeted (that's ambient trumpeting, natch!) in communities like this.
My first serious purchase was Inland, which I bought together with 2350 Broadway IV (never having heard any of the previous 3), and I have to say I've found them both excellent. So now I'm going backwards, trying to work out how much of what I missed I need to hear. I've managed to grab Ambiant Otaku and Organic Cloud. Wasn't mad on Yolo (and disliked something called Field Tracker with Andrew Deutsch).
Now somebody tell me, pray... can I get a witness?: do I absolutely have to seek out Slow and Low at all costs, or will my life still be liveable to the full without it? And what's with Waterloo Terminal?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »

Now somebody tell me, pray... can I get a witness?: do I absolutely have to seek out Slow and Low at all costs, or will my life still be liveable to the full without it? And what's with Waterloo Terminal?

If you like Ambiant Otaku and Organic Cloud then you should probably also get  Slow and Low. I also think World Receiver is worth getting. Waterloo Terminal I never really liked, I think it was one of his first in his glitch phase. It's been awhile though so I should probably give it a listen again.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

cvac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Definitely get "slow and low" and "world receiver". They are different and varied enough from the first two to make them essential. I really don't know a ton about the FAX label. All I know is I like Tetsu's early stuff a lot. I actually became a fan after checking his stuff out years ago based on a recommendation on the old rec.music.industrial newsgroup. Took me awhile to track down the actual discs though.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
the broadway series is awesome! organic cloud is pretty amazing as well.
most of his catalog is available at www.emusic.com or at least it used to be.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:05 PM »
Organic Cloud is for sure in my all time ambient top 10, maybe even top 5.
I didn't care much for the latest 2350 Broadway.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
the broadway series is awesome! organic cloud is pretty amazing as well.
most of his catalog is available at www.emusic.com or at least it used to be.
I agree with Jim, The Broadway series is really good. I think most of his stuff is still available at emusic. That's where I got it.     Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

cvac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »
Emusic has a lot of the FAX catalog. They also have a TON of ambient and experimental music. I originally got my Tetsu stuff there, then bought the discs recently from Ear/Rational.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:08 AM »
I love Tetsu; I think he's one of the best.

Personally I think you're pretty safe with any of his CDs with Namlook, especially the Broadway series and my favorite: 62 Eulengasse (purchased right here at the Hypnos store back in 2000, I think!). Time2 is, in my opinion, the weak one there.

His solo albums are all really good until he got into his granular microsound phase (Tzadik/12K), which I personally find hard to listen to.  I do like Yolo, though, very much.

I also really dig his work with Atom Heart as Datacide (though Ondas really tests my patience and I've got to be in the mood) and Masters of Psychedelic Ambiance.  I like the two collaborations with Jonah Sharpe too, especially Electro Harmonix.

I guess the trouble was that all the really good stuff was totally out of print for a long time, like all of the best of the old Fax label.  Some have come back on Ambient World, only to go out of print again, and it's still hard to get certain releases in any format.  I guess Emusic solved that problem, but I recall a lot of the Fax Sub-label stuff was not carried by their service unless Namlook was involved with it.  With the current economic clusterfuck, I bet you could find the original Inoue stuff on eBay cheaper than everóback in the early 00's it was almost impossible to buy anything of his for under $75 dollars.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »
Anyone interested in my copy of "Psycho Acoustic"?  It's a bit too glitchy for my tastes.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Listened to Ambiant Otaku the other day and realized it is still one of my absolute favorites. It was one of the first ambient/electronic albums I bought, and surely one of the best. The bright, flowing tones, deep emotion, and the intelligence of it are remarkable. Brings back vivid memories of previous listenings. Also have been listening to and becoming in awe with Slow and Low, World Reciever, and Inland. Amazing works. I still would like to get a hold of Organic Cloud, but don't know if a reissue will happen soon. Does anyone know if this is still in print, or where to find it?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:29:09 PM by 9dragons »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »
Organic Cloud was reissued around 2004/2005 on Fax's Ambient World sublabel, but is now sold out.  AW releases are supposed to have no limitation, but some of them sold out and haven't been reprinted yet. Namlook may get around to it. 

Just reissued on AW is 62 Eulengasse from 1995, a classic and essential Inoue title, collaboration with Namlook.  Avail. at www.ear-rational.com

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
Got 62 Eulengasse, Shades of Orion 2, and Datacide II from Ear-rational. Eulengasse is fascinating so far, and the other two are awaiting deeper listens. It's great to get back into FAX (though mainly through the lens of Inoue's work), I like the funky design and fonts. Gives me an old school sensation. And it seems like almost anything Inoue gets involved in is magical...