Author Topic: Peacekeeper: Test the performence of your Web browser  (Read 1853 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Peacekeeper: Test the performence of your Web browser
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper

I have been using Firefox for many years, but according to this test
I get about 65% better performance in Chrome, and the difference is visible as well, especially on flash based sites.
The question is if the Ad blocker plus plugin for Firefox, would in anyway, affect the result in the test.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:58:49 PM by Immersion »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Peacekeeper: Test the performence of your Web browser
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »
Most browser plugins will affect performance, especially a plugin like an ad blocker that is running all the time.  To get a better comparison, test with all plugins disabled in Firefox.

Anyway, you should find Firefox slower than both Chrome and Safari 4.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
I got nailed with a really nasty virus attack last December -- I had a good anti-virus program running, but only modest protection beyond that.  I ran an anti-spyware scan which apparently triggered the dormant virus prematurely, so I was at the screen when it went active.  It was remarkably effective.  Took me more than a month to get rid of all traces and get the computer back to where I trusted it again.

Anyway, I've redefined my assessment of "browser performance."  I now run ad blockers, script blockers, a cookie "white list," an extensive "Hosts" file, etc.  All this has slowed my browser down a bit, but I'm perfectly okay with that!

I still run Windows, but only because I have one program in particular that I really need to run ... and it only has a Windows version.  I've told the developers that they could add a Linux version anytime they wanted and it would be okay with me!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:46:17 PM by cromag »
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »
Most browser plugins will affect performance, especially a plugin like an ad blocker that is running all the time.  To get a better comparison, test with all plugins disabled in Firefox.

Anyway, you should find Firefox slower than both Chrome and Safari 4.

Well for some days now..I have been trying Chrome...and I really like it..it is actually way faster...
I will run that benchmark test again when I have that ad blocker plugin for chrome installed..I hope..it will not affect the speed too much..