Author Topic: A couple of artist I wanted to bring up!  (Read 5554 times)

Ferngerms

• View Profile
A couple of artist I wanted to bring up!
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »
Sorrel - Genus Oxalis
(An English female artist that has released music on an obscure label called Dust, Apparition.  It's not really ambient but more experimental tape music or for lack of a better word drone?  With more enviromental influences hence Loren Chasse)

Hands Of Sand - A Quiet Reverie and Clay Dreams - Self-Released and Nothing Out There
(What the hell is going on in England another artist that records music in the Mystery Sea train of though with heavy enviromental samples. I actually like a "A Quiet Reverie" a lot it reminds me of Oophoi but with more clarity to the enviromental sounds)

Oh, Birds! - Exchanges With The Soil and Of Greif and Satellites - Dust, Apparition and Cook An Egg
(French artist who makes you guessed it enviromental soundscapes with hints of ambient.  LAtely I have really been digging this tyle of music and delved into the search and came across this act which I believe has plans to release something on Mystery Sea soon...can't wait)

But absolute favortie artist at the moment is :

Seasons (Pre-din) - I have everything he has released - Self-Released
(I contacted the musician to compliment him on an album that I purchased from him and two weeks later he sent me everything else he had available for free (About 5 CDR's).  Very similiar to Richard Skelton's more hazy ambient pieces...top quality!)

Uruk-Hai - Upon The Elysian Fields - T'an! Kaven!! Ash!!!
(I have no idea where I came across this or how I arrived at this release but wow.  Imagine Alio Die with Michael Stearns space productions....fantastic ambient music that comes in a rather unique 4x3" CDR case....ugly artowrk but awesome music the piece you can sample at the website is the most euphoric of the bunch.  I highly reccomend this release to everyone here:
http://www.tka-subdivision.org/TKA/main.htm

Anyhow I know this music is not for everyone but I hope you enjoy some of the stuff or for that matter that it allows you to investigate these artist into greater detail...enjoy

Fern

drone on

• View Profile
Re: A couple of artist I wanted to bring up!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
Thanks man! I just ordered the Uruk-Hai release, awesome sound sample.  Thanks for pointing these out.  I wish more people would post suggestions here like this instead of exclusively in "Currently Listening."  8)

Undershadow

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
I agree. This 'ere Uruk-Hai sounds lovely in a lo-fi cosmic way.

And while I'm here I’d like to put in an appreciation for Fern’s recs, which, as 'pointers', often tend towards the recondite, but invariably lead somewhere interestingly off the beaten track. For example, since January, off the top of my head, I recall enjoying:

Ariel KalmaOsmose
Bas van HuizenZijgersveins
Brendan Murray - Commonwealth
Chartreuse - No More Paths to Sounder Sleep
Coppice HalifaxOcean Lion
Daizok - Autumn Scenes
Richard Skelton - Marking Time

Lately, by coincidence, I’ve also found my way by my own compass to some similar places:

Seasons (pre-din) - Above the Tides Fold
Strom NoirKruhynavode
QuospSoundscapes II (not as good as I, but still worth hearing)

and continuing to get to know some forthcoming Infractions:

Alio die + Aglaia - Private History of the Clouds [pre-release – due for release March/April] (review at:  http://www.igloomag.com/reviews::1783::Alio_Die_%26_Aglaia_Private_History_of_the_Clouds_Infraction_)
Drafted by MinotaursAversion Therapy [pre-release – due for release April/May]

Ahead of me lies a largely Celer-y weekend, with a bunch of around 6 or 7 recent releases from this perplexingly prolific couple having mounted up into a mini-pile in front of me (talk about being killed with kindness... or is it softly with their song...?) Hopefully, this’ll help distract me from the mental torture occasioned by Anthony’s Unknown Ambient Guitarist conundrum... <stares sulkily, damningly, in APK's direction>

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:31:10 AM »
Hey thanks a lot guys....I keep looking for new artists and labels everyday.  Soon I will return with more weirdness...

The new Celer stuff is lovely...Humming Conch and Smallfish = Loveliness although I really did'nt care for the Mystery Sea release....but I am looking forward to the new one on Ian Hagwood's label "Engaged Touches" I really have a thing for the use of enviromental sounds in recordings!

Fern

Undershadow

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »
But absolute favortie artist at the moment is :

Seasons (Pre-din) - I have everything he has released - Self-Released
(I contacted the musician to compliment him on an album that I purchased from him and two weeks later he sent me everything else he had available for free (About 5 CDR's).  Very similiar to Richard Skelton's more hazy ambient pieces...top quality!)

This should interest a Mr F. Germs of this locality, along with one or two others here of more questing musical bent: there's nothing up on the site about it, but I came by a file of the forthcoming Seasons (Pre-din) album on Mystery Sea, Your Eyes the Stars and Your Hands the Sea.  It doesn’t seem completely out of place on the Belgian 'night-ocean drone' peddlers' imprint, though not as water-y and sub-aquatic as standard issue MS. I’d place this gent (if I had to align him) in the tradition of the UK experimental drone underground (Ora, Mirror, Chalk, Monos, Twenty Hertz-type stuff), but with his environments being seeped into by a lo-fi strain of something akin to Hecker/Fennesz et al creating kind of fuzzy/fizzy aerated mini-soundscapes (some just 1-2 mins, with only one track reaching the 8-minute mark). All this bloke's stuff has a strangely hermetic quality. Neither ‘harmony’ nor ‘noise’ really drive it, but traces of both bubble up, held in felicitous tension. I think I’ll like it, but initially it didn’t grab as much as Har Habayit Beyadeinu and Above the Tides Fold.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
On further investigations I came across one new artist this week and the other known mostly for his IDM and Electronica....goes ambient.

Royal Train - The Balcony Compositions - Self-Released
(Somewhere between Stars Of The Lid and Eluvium is where I group this.  Very good and available for free download in 320kpbs....hope to hear more about this artist in the future.)

Ten And Tracer - Tsotsitaal - Self-Released
(For those that like the more art inclined releases....not just a CD-R but a book with cool images, drawings, and ramblings.  Was not expecting this from Ten And Tracer...it reminds me of the Kettel release on U-Cover "Volleyed Iron"....equisite ambient....any yes it is Ambient nothing pretentious or pseudo intellectual recording techniques.  Hope you like...and limited so act fast all though it does seem like a release under the radar that will probably be picked up by U-Cover or some other label in the future for a Jewel Case release....good and available for $5 bucks if downloads is your thing)

oops go here for the Ten And Tracer: http://www.acrerca.com/shoppe-tsotsitaal.html
Fern
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:58:17 AM by Ferngerms »

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
Last night I decided to revisit some works by Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words and was pleansantly suprised to find myself visint the Swedish label to see if "Dead Letters" had released any new material on this rather obscure label.....Dead Letters had released an album by the name "Fall Fall Falling" that was quickly forgotten (by me) and recently ressurected in my CD player....this particular album seems to have more tape music and musique concrete influences by far...but most of the tracks drone on in a beautifully and develop into classic Ora and Mirror mode...really awesome....wondering why I slept on this album a few years ago....this might have something to do with the Mystery Sea release...which I still don't seem to get this particular album eludes me "A Line: Align"....so go check this album out as the recent upsurge of this artist will probably result in it being sold out anytime soon....www.kalligrammofon.com

But now to the main part of my recent post as I was investigating the works of "Dead Letters" I came across this artist which happened to please my ears immensly....the artist is called Martin Herterich "Silent Fields" .....kalligrammofon has a new release from this arist available on a limited run of 100 copies....a simply poetic and very beautiful album...similiarities can  be found with Max Richter and recent Peter Broderick releases....the album seems to consist of a wide variety of sounds that I am sure many of you would rejoice in.  Check his myspace page for samples: http://www.myspace.com/martinherterich

Fern

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:12 AM »
Richard Skelton's Marking time is soon to be released on vinyl - http://richardskelton.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/marking-time-vinyl-edition
I went a bit mad recently and bought all of his releases, the new Carousell and Crow Autumn Part two are simply stunning, well worth picking up.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
Since you collect Richard Skelton works...i'll give you a heads up on this obscure comp.  While doing some searching around the net I visted Valerio Cosi's website and found that he has a small label that releases a bunch of wier experimental pop music, noise, free improv, etc.  Anyhow, the labels first release was a comp that featured the likes of Area C, Gianlucca Becuzzi & Fabio Orsi, and Richard Skelton.  This is the only comp I know of that has released a track from Richard Skelton....I got the comp earlier in the year....the rest of the songs on the comp tend to be on the experimental side of things....I don't know if you collect tapes and or the music on Students of Decay but the music is along those lines....except for Area C, GB&FO, and R. Skelton.....the comp is reasonably priced....including shipping I think it's around 8 or 9 euros.....limited and I just checked still available...but remember only three songs might be to your liking.

http://www.freewebs.com/valeriocosi/dreamsheep/catalogue.htm

Fern

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
All this recent talk about Dead Letters Spell out Dead Words really has me interested. Hey Ferngerms, if you don't mind buying downloads there's one at Boomkat called "Old ghosts, New Ghosts, All Ghosts". Maybe you already know that already, but the samples sound really nice. I might buy the download, or maybe I'll order the new CD.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »
All this recent talk about Dead Letters Spell out Dead Words really has me interested. Hey Ferngerms, if you don't mind buying downloads there's one at Boomkat called "Old ghosts, New Ghosts, All Ghosts". Maybe you already know that already, but the samples sound really nice. I might buy the download, or maybe I'll order the new CD.

Thank you for giving me the head's up on the download available at boomkat. I do have the album...just to share a few thoughts on that particular album if you have not made your mind up on the new one or download.  First thing: this is the album that brought this particular artist to my attention...the album was a minor blip on my radar back in 06.  But three years later I find myself eating my own words and wondering why I did not give the album a proper chance.  Second thing: this album is much more loop based than his future albums...it does drone on endlessly but you have these machine like loops that give so many of the tracks charachter and uniqueness...remember this is 2006...in 2007 and 2008 Type Records and Miasmah would make this a standard for everything they released.  Thirdly: do you like Machinefabriek....if you do then you should by both!  I consider Dead Letters to be Machinefabriek's darker brother....you should read Dead Letters bio the guy suffered (he might still suffer) from some crippling mental disease.  Oh and one more thing "Old Ghost, New Ghost, All Ghosts" features what I believe his most beautiful moment yet....check out the track "Tell Me That You Feel The Same".

As for his newest album...it pretty much sums up his career into one cohesive mature moment.  You have almost everything this artist has embraced in his prior albums all compiled into 54 minutes (I think)...the mechanical loops of "Old Ghost, New Ghost, All Ghosts" the enviromental elements of "A Line: Align" the use of guitar strums and other instruments found in "Fall Fall Falling" and the drones found in the entirety of his catalog...really an awesome album that is growing on me more and more....recently I bought the vinyl + 7" just beacuse I like this damm album that much!

Fern
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:34:35 AM by Ferngerms »

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
Since you collect Richard Skelton works...i'll give you a heads up on this obscure comp.

Many thanks for the heads up, cd's in the post.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
Wow, I just bought Dead Letters "Lost In Reflections" and I agree, it's an amazing album. This one really takes me places, and while some of these places are rather grim and ominous, it's never short of mesmerising. Edge-of-yr-seat kind of music for sure. Thanks Ferngerms, for the recommendation. The problem is, I bought the download from Amazon because it was so cheap (less than 6 bucks), and I love it so much that I think I want the actual CD.

Yes, I read the Dead Letter biography, and while it's a fascinating story, I think I'll take it with a grain of salt. I suspect it's a fabrication, or at least greatly embellished. He seems too eager to share this rather personal malady with the public, and I suspect he's trying to attract the audience that likes to catch a glimpse of "the madman's tortured soul".

But the music is awesome either way. 8)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:34:03 PM by Joe R »

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »
Good to hear....yeah the whole mental sickness thing does give me a queasy feeling!  But the music on the other hand is masterfully composed!

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
Ok....late last night I was creeping around myspace and verb looking for some unique music....I came across this rather enigmatic artist "36" that offers his album for free as a download and if you like that much you can actually purchase it from him physically in what looks like a nice digipack...I wish more labels did things of this sort...in that they have enough confidence in their talent or in the talent of others to offer it for free and if your heart is content with the work you buy it!  Yes I will be buying it not because of the concept but because I felt the music was worth it....I hope you do the same....the music has somewhat of Type Music and early 2000's electronic ambient feel....it's good....nothing ground breaking...but it does remind me of that album on Serein by Nest...less piano of course but still not a bad little thing......visit the website for details and download:

www.3six.net

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 09:48:07 AM »
Decided to ressurect this thread because I have come across some incredible artists as of late:

"LJ Kruzer" : http://www.unchartedaudio.com/releases/
I've spent a few months investigating this artists work and found many of his albums to have that early Merck records, N5md, and Neo Ouija vibe.  So if you happened to like that beat driven laidback electronica from 5-6 years ago give this stuff a shot....actaully I found this work to be very beautiful and a good change from all that drone murkiness...and you also get those short beautiful ambient interludes....oh and one more thing the artist offers a free download and you can stream the entire album at the website.....ready set go and discover this wonderful artist!  Check out "Manhood and Electronics" and "Tam Variations"!

Panoptique Electrical - Yes To Fear, Yes To Desire - Sensory Projects
(More classical in nature but if Max Richter and Johan Johansson are to your liking I believe this should be in your collection)

"Maju" - I have already commented on this artist and his work on currently listening page....the only thing I have to add is that volume 2 is their weakest but most enjoyable album...I know that makes no sense but that's how I feel about Volume II.....

Fern

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 05:51:15 PM »
Thanks Fern!