Author Topic: Konntinent- Degrees, Integers  (Read 2320 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Konntinent- Degrees, Integers
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
Wow, I'm not even sure how to describe this ???... it's strangely beautiful, and it explores some oddly fascinating and slightly disturbing terrain. It's described in a couple of reviews as a combination of ambient and "post-rock", whatever that means. It does have slow rhythms through most of it, via bass and quiet drumming, along with synth, plucked guitar, piano, glitchy/scratchy effects, and a woman's mysterious voice. I'm not yet sure what to make of this, but I think it'll be in my music rotation for quite a while. Moody and ominous, in a gentle way.

I bought this because I enjoyed a free Konntinent download I stumbled across, but  this music is quite different from the download. Is anyone else familiar with this guy?

Ferngerms

• View Profile
Re: Konntinent- Degrees, Integers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »
I have the CD in my weekend batch of listens.  The download was a beauty and a freebie:

http://www.serein.co.uk/music/ser015/

and download the Michael Trommer, Inventors Of Aircraft, Nest, and Muhr

On the other hand I was dissapointed with his split release on Sonic Pieces it sounded muddy and pointless.  You should check it out as I would be curious to your thoughts on that release.  Some samples should be up on Konntinents Myspace and Smallfish Records....on that note I think I will give that release another listen.

Fern

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:11:26 PM »
thanks for the tip and the info. this will give me some more serious listening this week.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:23 AM »
Fern-
this Konntinent dude has tracks to listen to on his Myspace page, but I'm not sure if any of those are from the Sonic Pieces release... thanks for the tip on the other downloads from the serein site. I downloaded Nest a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Not familiar with the others.

But if the "Degrees, Integers" disc has any staying power with me, this will definitely be high up in my "best of" list for 2009.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
The Inventers Of Aircraft download has some great tracks for sure, and the Michael Trommer likewise shows promise. But the Muhr download, in my opinion, suffers from way too much static & fuzz. Too bad, because it mars otherwise great music.

...but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :)

Undershadow

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
Talking about decent free web releases, I've been impressed by some of Phantom Channel's offerings:

http://www.phantomchannel.co.uk/webreleases.html

It so happens there's a Konntinent track on the second of their compilations.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:06:33 AM by Undershadow »

micky67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
Konntinent and I run Phantom Channel, we recently issued a new record following up the Sonicpieces album if you'd like to download

http://www.archive.org/details/IfICouldBuyAMapOfHope-Volume2

Thanks for the kind words!