Author Topic: Robert Rich - Live Archive  (Read 4287 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Robert Rich - Live Archive
« on: March 31, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »
Has been released in 7 volumes.

Samples can be heard here
http://www.musiczeit.com/directory.php?artist=83&title=Robert+Rich

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: Robert Rich - Live Archive
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
Oh shit!
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
Downloaded two on the deepest end...

Mycosphere
Due Acque.

Wonderful, scuba brainpan excursion.
Love the story of how Oophoi and Robert met. 

So cool live.         H.

Dr. Krippen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
Cool. You can get Somnium there too. Lots of things I have to catch up on.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »
So, I purchased the mp3 versions of Due Acque, Lumin, and Mycosphere.  Great performances, but the ripping job was terrible.  Typically, for gapless albums like these, I'll drop the tracks into Goldwave, delete the small silence between them, and basically "stitch" them together into one unbroken mp3.  When trying this with these tracks, however, I noticed that the ends are "frayed," so to speak; that is, the waveform becomes distorted/jagged around the track transition points.  So, even after removing the tiny gap, I still get an annoying little pop/click when transitioning to the next track.  It's a thing I've noticed in damn near every track of each of the 3 concerts I purchased.  You can see some of the problem spots circled here.  On listening to the concert in its entirety, I've also noticed several pops/clicks in the middle of tracks. 

I'm getting really damn sick of paying for mp3s that haven't even been ripped/encoded properly (CD Baby has been a particularly egregious offender in this regard, but even Amazon has given me some bad apples).  To anyone else who's ordered the mp3 versions of any of these concerts, have you experienced similar issues?  To those who ordered the FLAC versions, do those seem to be problem free?  Anyone ordered FLAC and then converted to mp3?
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »
I almost purchased one of the live concert downloads, but decided against it...for me it feels kind of sad and nameless to pay for invisible, non tactile data. Would have been cool if he'd maybe made a "best of" culled from all these concerts, and released it as a real album. I know I'm being old fashioned (or backward), and perhaps not logical about it, but downloads just don't hold interest for me yet.

That said, the samples I did listen to were quite intriguing. I'll stick to Calling Down the Sky for now though...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »
Downloaded two on the deepest end...

Mycosphere
Due Acque.

Wonderful, scuba brainpan excursion.
Love the story of how Oophoi and Robert met. 

So cool live.         H.

based on your post i have chosen to start with these two as well.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »
I'm with 9Dragons on this issue, also.  If something's going to be released then do it the right way--a physical product!  :o

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:40:33 PM »
I think the MP3 version of Somnium would be pretty helpful to me, though at $20 it's a little steep for my purposes.  I love that album, but I can't play it too often because I've only got a DVD player attached to the house's TV.  The DVD drive in my computer plays through my speakers, but the sound quality is never as good as with my traditional components.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »
I think the MP3 version of Somnium would be pretty helpful to me, though at $20 it's a little steep for my purposes.  I love that album, but I can't play it too often because I've only got a DVD player attached to the house's TV.  The DVD drive in my computer plays through my speakers, but the sound quality is never as good as with my traditional components.
Why dont you rip the Audio from the DVD to your Harddrive and convert it to Mp3?
I mean you bought the DVD and own it, so i think its fair enough to make a Mp3 Rip
for you IPod or whatever.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
with acid pro i was able to convert somnium into a 6 disc set of wav's - playable on any cd player.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »
i purchased 2 downloads as flac's only to find that i could neither listen to nor burn them. musiczeit gave me links to programs that allowed me to convert the flac's to wav's. cool. very cool, indeed.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
what i have heard so far is very promising and excellent.
volume 1 (ici et maintenant)has some weak moments and some gasp - new age elements. (i love new age but not with my robert rich!) it is 2 cd's worth of material!
mycosphere and due acque are deep and demanding.
lumin has some very cool drones and some nice darkness.
dowmloading live at cowell theater as i type.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com