Author Topic: Sandboxie  (Read 2250 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Sandboxie
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:00:28 PM »
Immersion mentioning Sandboxie on John's imac thread reminded me to post something here about it.

For those who don't know the program, its a super useful (and simple to use) program for avoiding malware/spyware and viruses. I've been using for quite some time.

If you are from a programing background you will know that a sandbox is where you do trials of your web software ... you run your software in a simulated, "sandbox", web environment AS IF you were on the real web and see if it performs as expected. Sandboxie does this with any Windows program you might want to run.

So, for example, instead of cruising the web with Firefox (or whatever web browser you use) and letting web sites put whatever junk they want on your computer, you run Firefox in Sandboxie, and Sandboxie restricts Firefox to a section of memory that simulates Windows. If ANYTHING is written to memory/hard disk it is actually only written to a fake Windows system in a controlled Sandboxie enviroment. Then when you exit Firefox, that memory area is wiped clean by Sandboxie. Thus protecting your computer from junk. It's very effective ... and, in my mind, way better than using any anti-virus-malware program.

Its free, but registration gets rid of the nag screen. Its well worth it if you are on Windows.

http://www.sandboxie.com

It is, of course, also good for hiding any web-trails you might otherwise leave in your illicit browsing  ;)
And for running programs you know have a virus, but simply have to run anyway (some of you will know what I mean).

And if you are downloading something (like mp3 files) that you really want, you can tell it to actually save them (outside the sandbox) on your desktop.

Its one of the rare REALLY useful programs of the Windows computer world.

:)

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Sandboxie
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
Yes it is a great concept that works good, I just wish it was available for Vista 64 bit. Too bad it is not implanted in Windows from the start. It would add yet another security layer.
I also think..my firewall Comodo has something very similar to the Sandboxie.

Blackinfinity

Re: Sandboxie
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
Sandboxie is now available in 64-bit finally