Author Topic: Upcoming new Star Trek movie -- anybody care?  (Read 11293 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Upcoming new Star Trek movie -- anybody care?
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
Star Trek has certainly been discussed a lot on this Forum, but I think most of us agree that Star Trek has been less interesting in the movie theater than in the TV series.

The upcoming Star Trek film, directed by JJ Abrams (creator of such TV shows as Lost, Alias and Fringe) seems to be getting very good buzz from preview audiences.  For those who don't know, this film is a sort of "prequel," picking up the development of the Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and other recognizable characters from the original series when they were young enough to be entering Starfleet Academy.

I think the concept is a promising one, and I think Abrams was a great choice to take a fresh approach to Star Trek, but I have to admit I was still pretty worried about how this would turn out.  Initial responses (check out today's http://www.aintitcoolnews.com for some of these preview comments) are very positive.  Anybody around here care about this new Trek movie?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: Upcoming new Star Trek movie -- anybody care?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
Put me down as very excited.  Mainly because of Abrams.  And now that the preview word of mouth is good, I am definitely psyched for the movie.

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »
I, for one, am very much looking forward to this "reboot." The trailers are patently exciting, and Abrams, a self-confessed "non-Trekker", seems to have enough remove from the show's mythology to approach it fresh, in effect "contemporizing" it, while retaining the original precis of the series. The casting looks spot-on, the effects impeccable I frankly don't care that Abrams might have toyed with the series "history" to tell this particular chapter; die-hard Trek obsessives have spouted objections, most of which tends to be quasi lunatic-fringe stuff, the picayune nature of which I doubt will muddy what has come before (either the TV or film incarnations), and might very well be a fascinating new direction for Abrams & Co. to explore. (I'm not necessarily a raving fan of Abrams work, mind you, but thought he certainly produced the best Mission Impossible film thus far, so he seems up to the task for this project). In any event, color me ready to boldly go, etc., etc.
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »
I'm a fan, not a Trekkie, and I have nothing but negative feelings for this. More 'prequel' sh*t. An attempt to make a hollywood action blockbuster out of Star Trek.

I view it as the final death blow to Star Trek. The process started with the "Enterprise" series and the "Nemesis" movie.

TNG, DS9, VOY. That was Star Trek to me. My favorite is DS9, but they all had some brilliant episodes. They should have continued with that universe. A new storyline, but perhaps with a few familiar faces and some connections to the previous series. There was certainly some material left from DS9 and VOY. But all of that seems forever lost now. RIP Star Trek.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
DeepR, is your problem with the idea of this new direction, the fact that it's a prequel of sorts, or are your negative feelings based on the assumption that the new Trek movie will be lousy?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
A mix of all of that. :D Science fiction is about the future. About going forward. Why why why do they have to look back again and try to rehash things from the past. I personally can't stand it.

They had established such a great universe/storyline/timeline with TNG/DS9/VOY. I don't get it why they haven't continued the Star Trek franchise along the line of those series.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »
They had established such a great universe/storyline/timeline with TNG/DS9/VOY. I don't get it why they haven't continued the Star Trek franchise along the line of those series.

Because, as you said, they want to make a Star Trek Blockbuster, not a moderately succesful movie that's a continuation of the various offshoots.   The original series with Kirk and Spock remain by far the most popular, so that's exactly what they're going for, the name recognition.   

This looks like it will be a good entertaining movie, probably better than most of the other 'Treks, and it'll probably resurrect the franchise for a movie or two, at least.   Any Trek movie, at this point for me, isn't that exciting.  This is what, the eleventh one!  I'm more interested in the Terminator Movie.  Being just the 4th, and giving what the fans always wanted by finally setting the movie in the post-apocalypse, is a little more of a hype for me. 

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »
I was talking more in general.. series, or a movie, or both... just something new, instead of going back to where it all started. Btw I highly doubt the original series are the most popular...

Personally I don't care too much for the movies either, but I thought First Contact was great. The movies could've ended there for me.

Enterprise is not worth mentioning. A proper new series after Voyager could've saved Trek. Preferably with some connections to DS9.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
I'm with DeepR on this.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
i am a huge fan of tng - great character development and interesting plots. i know that ds9 and voy had those as well but i did not watch them as often.
the original series was awesome but it has lost most of its appeal now that technology has gone as far as it has. and i grew tired of the transporter hiccupping every other episode and kirk always trying to get laid. he did get some gorgeous women but .................................. is it kinda like magic johnson?
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
I'm with DeepR on this.

Ditto...based on the trailers, this looks like Star Trek 90210...combination of 'splosions and teen angst

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
I was talking more in general.. series, or a movie, or both... just something new, instead of going back to where it all started. Btw I highly doubt the original series are the most popular...

Personally I don't care too much for the movies either, but I thought First Contact was great. The movies could've ended there for me.

Enterprise is not worth mentioning. A proper new series after Voyager could've saved Trek. Preferably with some connections to DS9.

As far as which series is most popular:  I guess it might depend on your criteria for measuring popularity and success.  I don't know how we can compare any of the series other than the first and the next generation.  Deep Space Nine or Voyager more popular than Star Trek with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, I don't think so ...

The original Star Trek series probably didn't have as many viewers as TNG, and lasted fewer years too, I'm sure.  However, there were 6 original ST movies, while TNG made it to what, like 4?  Remember of course, the term "Trekkie" existed well before anyone conceived of TNG... And with the newly produced prequel, it's probably safe to say TNG is not coming back in movie form, at least, no more sequels. 

In pure terms of name recognition, which is what I was referring to, and characters, who's more popular, Kirk and Spock, or Picard and Data?  Or extend it further to the rest of the cast and I think the original characters are more memorable.... there's no doubt TNG had strong characters and even some good actors, but more popular?   That's why I think they went the route of remaking/rebooting whatever the Original, because it's the one that all Trekkies and most importantly, non Trekkies identify with, so as to maximize the sales.  Of course the other benefit to the industry with having a prequel with young actors, is it's an attempt to bring in new young Trek fans.

TNG is my favorite as it's more modernized and less campy.  It's hard to imagine it being the most recognized, ie the most popular... but I'm fresh out of hard facts and data  :P

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
well, one thing that has not been mentioned is the "babe" factor. troi is an absolute doll and crusher is sexy as hell. her continuous flirtation with picard was handled with grace and class. very cool.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »
I guess it also depends on your age and country. I'm 28/Netherlands and I can't remember they ever broadcasted the original series here (except on BBC). I grew up with TNG and to a lesser extent DS9 and VOY and many reruns of those three.

TNG is like the ultimate space exploration series of meeting new races and discovering new phenomena. Solid characters and great 'self contained' episodes. Next to that also character development over the long run.

DS9 is definately my favorite. Although I can see why some may not like it that much, because it doesn't have that classic space exploration in TOS/TNG-style.
Sometimes it's more like a space soap, but a very good one. Lots of character development and of course a big continuing storyline that really kicked off at season 4 or so.
Drama, action, HUMOR, love stories, mass space battles... I don't think there has ever been a television series that created such a 'rich' universe, with so many different characters, stories, themes etc.

VOY is still good, but perhaps the lesser of the 3. It did have a number of completely brilliant episodes, but suffers a bit from the crew setup. About half of the crew were a bit weak, uninteresting or undeveloped characters. Especially the episodes involving Seven, or the Doctor or the Borg or interesting space phenomena were good.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
Jim, you think Wesley Crusher is sexy as hell?   :o  :o  :o

Well, I guess he's decent-looking, but everyone's taste is different.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »
They don't call him Crusher for nothin'...

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »
And then there was even this woman, at least in the early episodes, remember her?  I heard she actually posed in one of those gentleman's magazines one time, seriously...

Here she is with one of her lovers, apparently.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:09 PM »
Hey, Denise Crosby was pretty attractive in the TNG era.  And yes, I saw a copy of the Playboy she appeared in when I was in college.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »
Hey, Denise Crosby was pretty attractive in the TNG era.  And yes, I saw a copy of the Playboy she appeared in when I was in college.

Perv!

Oh wait, I thought she was the shiz too...

[/geek]
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 06:40:43 AM »
Jim, you think Wesley Crusher is sexy as hell?   :o  :o  :o

Well, I guess he's decent-looking, but everyone's taste is different.

considering his mother, i guess he is.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:46:06 AM by jim brenholts »
jim
www.rigelorionis.com