Author Topic: Upcoming new Star Trek movie -- anybody care?  (Read 21077 times)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Re: Upcoming new Star Trek movie -- anybody care?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »
I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, though I always enjoyed the original series, before they made the franchise totally toothless with the Next Generation.  For me, Star Trek is all about Kirk karate chopping gorilla monsters and making love to strange space babes.

So I'm pretty psyched for this movie, since it seems like they're going back to basics.  Less TALK, more KARATE CHOPPING OF ALIENS.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
It wasn't really karate chopping, Brian.  Kirk's deadliest weapon was the "two hands clenched together and then he clubs you really hard on the upper back or shoulders" trick.  I guess it's sort of a double-handed karate chop, if you like.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
Hey, one of my few "real life celebrity sightings" experiences was when I saw Gates McFadden at Powell's Books.

Oh, Gates McFadden is the actress who plays Beverly Crusher.  Because Beverly Crusher is a fictional character portrayed by an actress (and the actress was not wearing the uniform, just shopping in the art books section at Powell's wearing ordinary 20th century Earth-human clothes)
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
Okay I posted a video, but I found a much better clip, that goes right to this scene:

This is one of the funniest dialogues ever in the Star Trek Pantheon.  I've seen this episode so I know the context; basically Kirk is trying to anger Spock because he's been infected by a spore, and the spore has turned Spock into a free-loving hippy with only happy emotions!  It's the best: 

Oh, and here's a variation of the classic Kirk chop Brian mentions: 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
That WAS a plain-old karate chop (well, a double-whammy, down low and up top) but you'll notice it wasn't Kirk, but McCoy doing the chopping.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 09:21:33 AM »
That WAS a plain-old karate chop (well, a double-whammy, down low and up top) but you'll notice it wasn't Kirk, but McCoy doing the chopping.
as he said - it is a variation.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:57 PM »

You gotta love the music for Star Trek. Simply phenomenal.
Hans Zimmer and the likes could learn a thing or two...

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
Honest to God - that power-pop-rock-ballad thing they called a theme
for the last TV Trek used to inspire me to turn off the TV.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »
Honest to God - that power-pop-rock-ballad thing they called a theme
for the last TV Trek used to inspire me to turn off the TV.

indeed, I had to force myself to give that series a chance, because at first I couldn't get over it how awful the theme song was....

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
Tonight I saw for the first time a TV commercial for the new movie.  It was nothing but rock 'n roll, fistfights, cgi aliens and action.  Of course this is an angle of advertisement, but definitely there will be a lot of action scenes.  I guess that's the route many of the Star Trek movies have gone, but it's hard to say if there are good characters in this movie that actually get developed.  After all you have to establish these characters a lot more than the original movies, because they don't have the momentum of previous stories, ie there's no tv show prequel that portrayed before this movie's timeline.  No question they're packing the action scenes into this one, so who knows?

My favorite Original ST's were 2 and 4.  Wrath of Khan brought the action, but the drama and chess match between Kirk and Khan, and Shatner's great acting... okay maybe not that part, but the relationship between the characters made it a great movie.  That, and the big risk they took to kill Spock.  Sure it pissed the academy of trekkies off, but the ending to that movie was pretty powerful, right?  And then there was 4 (you know, the one with the whales), which was way campy, but I kind of liked that aspect of it.  The Voyage Home had a lot of hilarity and it had a preposterous story, with an unknown alien "entity", and I thought it paid tribute to a lot of the old school TV episodes in that regard.  As crazy as it was, and it was probably the warmest, good natured ST's, and well directed. 

This TV spot I just saw of the latest looked like "Fast and the Furious" in space.  Here's the commercial if anyone's interested:    It's hard to tell really, based on these trailers.  Apparently explosions bring in a lot of moviegoers just for the "adrenaline rush".  I'm still a little biased, though to Terminator Salvation.  Here's a good trailer for that, all 'splosion-filled in its own right.  Why I have a hunch this movie is more mature despite tons of action too, I don't know, maybe it's because Bale reportedly agreed  to do this movie only on the condition that the script stood on its own strong, without any action scenes : 

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 12:44:14 AM »
After that Terminator preview I am actually pretty excited to see it. But I am a slave to these high budget sci fi action movies, the only movies I really go out to the theater to see actually. I like the adrenaline rush.

As for the Star Trek, most of those New Generation or Next Generation (sorry guys it has been a while and I am baffled by the acronyms) movies mostly sucked ass from what I remember. Just glorified tv shows, without the wit and rhythm of the character interaction that the shows allowed. In this respect, this prequel movie might actually be freed of the restraints. It does look like it's going to be a corn patch type action movie, but look at the subject matter, it's about a young man going off to Star Fleet. Keg parties and all that!

I have loved Star Trek, the Picard years have even touched my heart in the distant past.

stuyvesant

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 12:35:56 PM »
I am a huge Star Trek fan, just a little bit this side of a "trekkie." I did not like the cartoon at all and i have not seen the one that took place between the original and TNG. I absolutely love TNG! The plots are very cool and the character development far out weighs the original - even if I just look at the first three years of the show.
All that being said, I am looking forward to the new movie. I usually enjoy when any show/movie does a prequel to answer why, what and how.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 04:02:40 AM »
Insurrection is like a glorified, but decent episode indeed and Nemesis is just weird, out of place and didn't feel like Star Trek anymore... but First Contact is one of Star Trek's finest moments to me (next to the best DS9 episodes)... a defining movie with the whole TNG crew at their best and everything in the right proportions (action, drama, humor etc.)... and of course, the Borg!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:06:38 AM by DeepR »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »
Star Wars vs Star Trek video (better than the other one that got much more views)

If you don't know it yet THIS IS A MUST SEE! ;D

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 06:48:48 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the movie.  I may go see it at the Imax.

The reviews are in and they are very good:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

PS I had Star Trek pajamas as a child.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
this movie sucks and a half!!!!!!!!!!! i kept waiting for something that made sense and it never happened! the only good character was mccoy. capt pike wasn't bad and scotty was comic relief but everyone else blew twice.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
I'll be going to see it, if for no other reason than my teen-age daughter really, really wants to see it.

I'm sure other folks on this site have seen the episode "200" from Stargate SG1, where they explore other possible presentations of the Stargate program as television shows.  Well, the previews of the new Star Trek movie that I've seen remind me very much of the "younger, hipper, edgier" version of Stargate.

Anyway, if it's good I'll enjoy it and if it's not I'll be there with my daughter, and she'll enjoy it!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:09:03 AM by cromag »
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 06:06:55 AM »
not bad
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Bebbo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »
Star Trek has certainly been discussed a lot on this Forum, but I think most of us agree that Star Trek has been less interesting in the movie theater than in the TV series.

The upcoming Star Trek film, directed by JJ Abrams (creator of such TV shows as Lost, Alias and Fringe) seems to be getting very good buzz from preview audiences.  For those who don't know, this film is a sort of "prequel," picking up the development of the Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and other recognizable characters from the original series when they were young enough to be entering Starfleet Academy.

I think the concept is a promising one, and I think Abrams was a great choice to take a fresh approach to Star Trek, but I have to admit I was still pretty worried about how this would turn out.  Initial responses (check out today's http://www.aintitcoolnews.com for some of these preview comments) are very positive.  Anybody around here care about this new Trek movie?

I'm curious to see the film, though the trailer suggests it's probably just another fast and furious CGI film. Wasn't Roddenbery's original pilot The Cage criticised by the studio executives for being "too cerebral"? If only we got to see a Hollywood film that is marginally cerebral these days.