Author Topic: maximum drift  (Read 1596 times)

DeepR

• View Profile
maximum drift
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
What are the grandest, most expansive, majestic and full sounding soundscapes ever? :)
Tracks that make you feel small and insignificant... like drifting in an endless void, or being swept away in a cosmic storm...

something like
Steve Roach - Altus
Raison D'etre - Metamorphyses Phase IV

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: maximum drift
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
Good thread and good calls.  The piece that came immediately to my mind was:

Mathias Grassow - "The Empty Sky"

His 2-disc "Space" also achieves this effect nicely.

Most of O÷phoi's albums and EPs do this too, particularly "Athlit," "Nocturnes," (collab with Paradin) and, of course, "Celestial Geometries" with Tau Ceti.

The newest Lustmord, "[ The Dark Places of the Earth ]" (A retooling of material from "[ O T H E R ]" without the lame guitars) is a nice black slab of cosmic indifference.

I also really dig the new Igneous Flame/Achromus collab "Halo."

For the being-swept-away-in-a-cosmic-storm effect in particular, I like Phaenon - "Submerged," and I.Corax - "The Cadaver Pulse I: Sealed in a Radiant Larval Maelstrom" (if you can get over the title, the music's quite captivating, in a grab-you-by-throat-with-its-teeth-and-shake-you-around kind of way).
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
oophoi, rapoon, rich, ma ja le, johnson, vir unis, philips, roach, grassow, wiese, pearce, griffin .........................
there are so many masters and so many excellent cd's that to choose one above the others is to dishonor the others.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
Of late, Brian Lavelle and Celer have been taking the lion's share of drift mastery on my stereo. Lavelle's Ustrina and Fallen Are the Domes of Green Amber (killer title) are two works I've been drifting out to lately.

Just getting into the And/Or label's Nacreous Clouds by Celer. Discourses of the Withered and The Everything and the Nothing (think I got that right) are amazing albums to drift off to late into the night.