Author Topic: Lossless .flac vs CD  (Read 1881 times)

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
Lossless .flac vs CD
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »
As many of you are aware from a previous thread, I'm converting all my music from CD to .flac files for a home server.

http://flac.sourceforge.net

How do the readers of this forum that include artists, label owners and fans feel about digital downloads of lossless files such as .flac?

I see that Robert Rich and several other ambient artists have some of their music at MusicZeit.com.

http://www.musiczeit.com

As I see it the listener gets the music without any sonic loss nearly instantly after the purchase, and the artist and label don't have to worry about shipping around a physical product if they don't want to.

And if you don't have a home system that plays .flac, you can just burn to one of my favorite pieces of media: the CD-R.

There are likely other positives and some negatives but I'll leave those to you.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:32:49 PM by jimzzzak »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Lossless .flac vs CD
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
I like Flac.  But I think the prices are unreasonable.

The only thing I really like about cds, is that you have to wait for it to arrive in your postbox.
I like the first time you hold the cd in your hand, then I play the cd ONE time, then I rip it to flac or mp3.
Then I never play the cd again. I do not even own a traditional cd player.

One more good thing about digital music, it does not take physical space, if I would have my entire mp3 collection as cd I would need to buy an new bigger apartment :)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
I used BitTorrent to download some Fripp music from DGM and found a glitch after I'd burned a CD-R. I'm sticking with CDs, properly packaged.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:24 PM »
I have no problems with free FLAC releases, but would always opt for the physical release over a FLAC, if I had the choice.  I can't see how a printer could ever equal or surpass a manufactured booklet.  Also, I would be too lazy (or klutzy) to print out and cut my own covers.

Forrest