Author Topic: iTunes Library Updater tool - why I hate it  (Read 3294 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
iTunes Library Updater tool - why I hate it
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
I am not sure if I checked or didn't check a box in this tool but I got the latest one and installed it and ran it to update my iTunes library on my WHS box. What I HATE about the damn thing, and this is probably what happened before but didn't realize it was doing this, is that it MOVED stuff from directories into artists names/directory layout, i.e I have a Drone Download Project directory which contains Year 3-7 directories and their respective tracks, now I have Year 6 only in there with limited tracks, it MOVED stephen philips tracks to his directory with drone download project subdirectory...WTF?

I am NOT happy because now I have to go and FIND them all in their respective directories and MOVE them back to the DDP directory/subdir....how stupid is this program or am I?  Frustrating...it's probably what hosed things up last year at some point too....I just wanted to update the library with new stuff I had put into directories. This thing wreaked HAVOC on my various artist directory to the point that I may not even bother trying to put it back to the way it was, multiple albums inside there in their own directories with possibly subdirectories....gah, I am starting to hate iTunes. What is there for an alternative to it that will work with the iPod? I just need something to load/unload from it when I want to change things up.

Mike

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: iTunes Library Updater tool - why I hate it
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
When you tell iTunes to "keep my library organized" it will create new copies of all files and organize them into folders by artist and album title.

If you have a lot of incorrectly labeled mp3 files things will end up incredibly disorganized, because iTunes sorts things according to how your files are actually labeled.  If I have mp3s for one of my albums under the name "M. Griffin" (with a period) and another under the name "M Griffin" (without the period) and I have iTunes organize my library it will have two separate "artist" folders, one for each different spelling/punctuation of my name.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
That happened to me, too, when I tried to import one of the Macro Dub Infection compilations into ITunes.  The tracks showed up under the album title, but the individual tracks were stored under folders for each artist.  Really messy when you're looking for tracks in individual subdirectories.

Forrest

Viniator3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
As 1) an AppleCare employee who deals with iTunes issues daily and 2) deft enough with iTunes, I'd advise *not* letting iTunes do any of the music organization. No "keep my library organized," no nothing, just leave that unchecked. Compilations get ruined utterly, and if nothing else, keeping the library organized is only helpful when exporting to an external drive. And even then, it's utterly a pain.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »
I'll have to check the settings...actually I'll do that now...Ok. I unchecked Keep iTunes Music folders organized. So that still means a) I have to go and FIND all the various artist albums I had in there and put them back to where I want them to be, i.e. various artists\title_of_compilation. So I have a crapload of work to redo thanks to iTunes. What would be the best way to redo this *if* I decide to go through the hassle of finding all this messed up stuff and re-organizing the way I want it? Delete the files in My Documents\.....?

I really hate that it did that to it. It's stupid if you ask me (and yes, partly my fault as well....).

Mike

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:33:26 AM »
Wow, we have or very own Apple customer support right here on Hypnos!!!  ::) Awesome
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Viniator3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »
Hey, Apple is everywhere, right?

-darkenedsoul,

iTunes can be a pain to set up, and I've spent hours on it as if I were tinkering with an old car. What I'd recommend after disallowing iTunes to manage the library:

1) Get the music folders and files all organized, since this is how iTunes should read them from now on.

2) Select "Add Folder to Library" and bring them back to iTunes. The tags should be the same, only iTunes will point pack to the location from which the songs were added.

3) If you haven't deleted the existing songs, you could either do that, or use the search field (top right) to narrow down the culprits. Then you can arrange by "Date Added" (the view option should be present, and if not, View > View Options > Date Added) and delete the older, misaligned songs.

Hope that helps.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
 I disabled having it manage my library. I think I'm going to delete the files in my documents\... path and add stuff in manually once I get stuff straightened out. I did get a few compilations put back together but found others while doing so (some had been on other comps so now have references to other names to search for and move to proper directory structure I want). But yeah, it's a pain in the a@@...I did this once before too before I redid my OS install after breaking up that raid (raid 1 mirror) set (why raid if I am imaging on it? My raid 0 I still image it though as well on other desktop.

Anyways, it'll be awhile before I get this back to the way it should be. I'll just have to sit down now and then and work on it by keeping track of the other comps artists are on to get them all back. I had a bunch in there too...ce la vie(sp) or whatever..thx for input and support!

Mike

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 08:12:57 AM »
iTunes is probably the main thing standing in my way from getting an iPhone (next iteration), but hey, I guess I don't have to use my phone to play music...it's probably a stupid idea anyway unless you want to be stuck with a dead battery on your phone somewhere.