Author Topic: Ruben Garcia - Through the Looking Glass  (Read 5015 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Ruben Garcia - Through the Looking Glass
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »
To me its probably the best thing he has done. Having said that, I just heard from Barry that the copies that Hypnos and CD Baby currently have will probably be the only ones offered for sale.  :o So, if this artist interests you I would suggest you get your copy ASAP.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rgarcia2
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Ruben Garcia - Through the Looking Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
very cool disc! very cool, indeed.
i do have a question. are barry (a produce) and ruben garcia the same person? i have never seen them together so i was wondering .................................

;) ;D :o 8) ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:25:32 PM by jim brenholts »
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »
No they are two very different people. BTW Ruben lives in New Mexico at the moment.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
No they are two very different people. BTW Ruben lives in New Mexico at the moment.

Of course, those "in the know" realize that New Mexico and LA are the same place! ;)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »

Of course, those "in the know" realize that New Mexico and LA are the same place! ;)
as i have suspected for many years now.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
Well I've been wondering if "M. Griffin" and "D. Fulton" are the same interchangeable ambient entity.  You never see ANY pictures of those guys together.  The only pics you see of "M. Griffin" are usually on the back of the CD booklets and it's real hard to tell what he actually looks like, what with all the swirly psychedelic photography obscuring the faces.  Come to think of it, I'm starting to wonder if M. Griffin and Saul Stokes are the same person.  This is getting weird... ;D

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »

Come on now, LA sprawl hasn't gotten that bad.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »
Well I've been wondering if "M. Griffin" and "D. Fulton" are the same interchangeable ambient entity.  You never see ANY pictures of those guys together.  The only pics you see of "M. Griffin" are usually on the back of the CD booklets and it's real hard to tell what he actually looks like, what with all the swirly psychedelic photography obscuring the faces.  Come to think of it, I'm starting to wonder if M. Griffin and Saul Stokes are the same person.  This is getting weird... ;D

Don't forget, photographic proof exists of Griffin and Fulton as separate entities.

http://www.hypnos.com/GRIFFIN%20-%20FULTON%20-%20PEARCE%20at%20the%20Gathering.htm
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »
i have actually seen mr fulton and mr griffin on the same stage so i know that they are not the same person. indeed at the concert where the above photo was taken.
now mr stokes and mr griffin - i have never seen them at the same time so .....................
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
Stokes:

A Produce:

Me:

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »
Oh, NOW I see--Stokes is really A Produce!!!

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »
excellent cd but be careful listening in car cd players. the disc appears to have a paper label applied after recording so it can get stuck in a slide in player.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
i see griff, aproduce and saul but no pics of ruben.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »
I've never seen a picture of Ruben Garcia before.

Also, A Produce is about 25 years older than Saul Stokes.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 01:18:51 AM »
Barry Craig=Barry Andrews from Shriekback? Look closely...

But seriously, I got this Garcia disc today.  I think this is far from the best thing he's done.  The first two tracks were pretty ho-hum.  The third piece, "From the Bottom of the Sea," is great (maybe my fave Garcia piece) but it is NOT new, this was on the "Maybe Forgotten Forever" 2-disc retrospective several years back.  I was really looking forward to the 18-min. "My Minimalist Life", only to find it overly long with a repetitive and quite annoying theme. Nothing worse than a bad idea extended to almost 20 minutes...Trance Port could take some tips from Hypnos Secret Sounds on how to do a CDR release right: don't use sticker labels (the one on my copy was somewhat haphazardly placed on the disc, and I can feel a "bubble" between disc/label, it also overlaps slightly over the center spindle); don't use cheap paper for the booklet.  Overall, a decent release but musically the pieces are really different.  I would say this is more like a collection of tracks than a cohesive, flowing thing.  I would recommend "Maybe Forgotten" over this one.   

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »
Obviously the camera never lies  ;D - there is the quantum theory that all electrons are in fact the same electron, just travelling back and forth through time....perhaps we are all the same person....

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
I would say this is more like a collection of tracks than a cohesive, flowing thing.

That's because it is a collection of tracks, they were tracks that Ruben sent to Barry over time. Barry suggested that they might make a decent CD release. If I remember "My Minimalist Life" was a live improve, not composed which is why its probably a bit too long. Barry is aware of the problem with sticker labels. He's thinking about investing in a CD printer but it may be a while before he has the funds to do that.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell