Author Topic: They Don't Make Them LIke they Used to  (Read 4679 times)

drone on

• View Profile
They Don't Make Them LIke they Used to
« on: May 08, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Is it just me or is the state or current rock music incredibly sad??  Am I just getting old (41) and just not "hip" anymore?  I've been playing a lot of "old stuff" like early/classic Journey, Genesis, Yes, etc. and DAMN it makes you wonder where the MAGIC went in rock n'roll.  Now playing: Journey "Captured".  What a f'ng KICK ASS band they were!!!!

Seren

• View Profile
Re: They Don't Make Them LIke they Used to
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
I'm not sure how it works - but some people, like John Peel, seem to be able to avoid this experience. He seemed to find all new music constantly exciting and supported it until the day he sadly died.

I on the other hand find (the) modern rock (I have managed to listen to) just a pale reminder of what I listened to when younger.....When I got 'Made in Japan' by Deep Purple again I was emotionally transported as I felt I was listening to CLASSIC music....however I now believe I just burnt the tracks into my brain so they, like some Hawkwind, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest are the unconscious rock soundtrack to my life.....

Unfortunately I am also older (and possibly wiser - this is meant ironically) and find some aspects of the music I listened to when hitting life hard are no longer 'satisfying'....Hawkwind lyrics seem to be often either meaningless or depressing, I no longer find the darker side of Black Sabbath lyrics matching my own darker perceptions of the human situation (similarly with TG too)....

I find the only music that does not create this effect for me is ambient as I enjoy much of what is being created now as I did that of the mid seventies........

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
It's probably a product of the times we live in. Think back to what it was like in the late 60s and part of the 70s. This was pre-music video and underground FM still existed to some extent. Record labels were not as interested in latching onto the latest fad as much as either (a) SETTING trends or (b) finding the next unknown. When you see that (what would now be considered very uncommercial) bands like It's a Beautiful Day got signed by a major label, well, you realize that that was then, this is now. I'm sure there are bands out there with imagination, style, talent, etc. but unless you happen to live in the same city they do, the chances of you discovering them are slim.

That said, I PREFER the music from the late 60s and early 70s just because it's what I like stylistically. Although, to be honest, a lot of ALBUMS back then contained a LOT of filler. One of Quicksilver Messenger Service's best songs is "Fresh Air" but eveything else on the album on which it's placed is fairly disposable. And that was the norm, for even "great albums" (I mean, does anyone like EVERY cut on Houses of the Holy? or even Led Zep II for that matter?). Today's consumer prefers to have every song on an album sound the same as long as each songs "sounds" like the formula which made the single a hit. Can you imagine Wheels of Fire (the studio tracks, not the live ones) being released today? "Pressed Rat and Warthog" anyone??? ;D

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »
I happen to actually love music from the early seventies with out any reservations.
Late seventies was ok.
80's, you really had to look for good music.
90's had some great beginings, but when Kurt Cobain died, the press said the music died with him (which was total bs).  Problem was that most of the good music did go away with him.  What's the point in doing anything if all the critics are going to compare you to Nirvana.
00's?  Has anything happened on a major scale?  A few.  Locals and small independents seem to be the only ones really rockin'.  Once again, there is some really good stuff out there, you just have to look for it.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
Every era produces great music. The trouble is keeping an open mind and having the time and dedication to search it out. The 80s produced a host of great post-punk and underground experimentaion in reaction to mainstream sterility in the form of groups that The WIRE et al have now officially canonized. William Basinski, for example, was producing stuff in obscurity then as were many others. And now we have an amazing amount of choice...though it's true that there is disappointment in the sense that there will never be a major galvanizing wave in the mainstream that gives a larger number people a false sense of connection.

I say we have the best of all worlds in a sense...and thankully free of Journey! ;-)

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »
"Next" was a good album.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »
I was 18 years old in 1978, and all everyone wanted to hear was the crap they played on the radio- Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Kiss, Boston, Steve Miller, Bob Seger... It was unbearable, and I was forced to find alternative sounds, like Lou Reed, Television, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, Bob Dylan, The Band, Ramones, Iggy & The Stooges, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The MC5, Patti Smith. My friends all thought I was nuts, and nobody wanted to listen to "Joe's music" - a trend that continues to this day. :) But I think I got the better part of the deal.

I did like some of the "popular" stuff -Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Rainbow, Jethro Tull...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
I was 18 years old in 1978, and all everyone wanted to hear was the crap they played on the radio- Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Kiss, Boston, Steve Miller, Bob Seger... It was unbearable, and I was forced to find alternative sounds, like Lou Reed, Television, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, Bob Dylan, The Band, Ramones, Iggy & The Stooges, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The MC5, Patti Smith. My friends all thought I was nuts, and nobody wanted to listen to "Joe's music" - a trend that continues to this day. :) But I think I got the better part of the deal.

I did like some of the "popular" stuff -Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Rainbow, Jethro Tull...
i was a punker as well. i listened to tangerine dream, synergy, klaus schulze, eno and TONTO along with elvis costello, wreckless eric, lena lovich, the ramones (saw them in concert!), patty smith (in concert with) the iron city houserockers, eddie and the hot rods, the damned, the buzzcocks, cowboys international and many others. i was also into rockabilly - robert gordon was awesome!
best concert of the era - for me - was blondie with rockpile.
i loathed almost all mainstream radio. i did like pink floyd but i had been a fan since the early 70's before dark side.
was uriah heep really popular? i did not know that they were.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
Oh, I forgot about Elvis Costello -he was a blast!
And I agree -mainstream radio is godawful. Although the colleges usually had good stations... probably still do.

Uriah Heep was quite popular (at least around here) around the time of Demons And Wizards and The Magician's Birthday. I think they had a few platinum albums.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »

That's funny - sounds like we had similar teen years.  All my friends were into "normal" rock; they thought my musical tastes were absolutely bizarre.  Even slightly-off-center stuff confused them, like Alice Cooper or Todd Rundgren/Utopia.  I used to put on Kraftwerk tapes at parties just to watch the reactions.   ;D
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
I mean, does anyone like EVERY cut on Houses of the Holy? or even Led Zep II for that matter?

I do!  Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti are far and away my favorite Zep albums.  I think that late 60s albums-with-a-hit single were particularly susceptible to filler, but early 70s albums like the Who's Tommy and Tull's Thick As Brick, were more of a piece to my ears.  There was plenty of great 70s prog and punk that helped me to forget about the fluffy Boston/Foreigner bands that flooded the radio during that era.

Forrest 

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:49:25 AM »
Yes Genesis Van der Graff Generator King Crimson Emerson, Lake and Palmer Deep Purple Black Sabbath Alice Cooper Grand Funk Railroad Doobie Brothers Pink Floyd Mott the Hoople Bad Company Bloodrock Spirit Led Zeppelin Rush Kraftwerk Tangerine Dream Queen David Bowie Jethro Tull Todd Rundgren's Utopia Gentle Giant Mountain Foghat Nazareth Mike Oldfield Iron Butterfly The Doors Jimi Hendrix Derek and the Dominoes Return to Forever T. Rex Procrol Harum Blue Oyster Cult Steppenwolf

Why grow up?

I did this a while back.  A list of concerts I've attended.  Ignore if you want.  Just a trip down memory lane.
The Guess Who, Gypsy, Alice Cooper, Flo and Eddie, Ted Nugent (Amboy Dukes), The New Cactus Band (Thee Image), White Witch 2X, Ace, Yes, Climax Blues Band, Edgar Winter 5X, KC & the Sunshine Band 2X, Natalie Cole, Starcastle, Photomaker, Blue Oyster Cult (the night they recorded "Some Enchanted Evening"), Angel 2X, Jethro Tull 3X, Van Halen 2X, Journey, Montrose 2X, Lene Lovich, Def Leppard, Ramones, X, Devo, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Rush 3X, UFO, Pat Travers 2X, The Babys, Molly Hatchet, Mahogany Rush, Mother's Finest, Humble Pie, Sonic Youth, Firehose, Seven Seconds, Youth of Today, Bad Brains, Ray Charles, The Moody Blues, Stone Temple Pilots, Game Theory, Robin Trower, Steppenwolf, Los Lobos, Stevie Stilletto and the Swithcblades 2X, King Crimson, The California Guitar Trio, Grand Funk, The Doobie Brothers, Kool and the Gang, Alison Kraus and Union Station, Chicago, Hall and Oates, Dwight Yokham, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, Red Red Meat, Smashing Pumpkins, Mountain, Aberdeen City, Rasputina, Tom Jones 2X, REO Speedwagon, Huey Lewis and the News, Styx 2X, Little Richard, BB King, The New Cars, Steve Miller, Heart, Earth Wind & Fire, Merle Haggard, Tommy James and the Shondells, Denny Laine, Joey Moulland, Melanie, Iron Butterfly, Eric Burdon, George Clinton P-Funk All Stars 2X, Ringo Starr's All Star Band (Edgar Winter, Rod Argent, Sheila E., Richard Marx, Billy Squire), The Zombies, Johnny Rivers, Loretta Lynn 2X, The Rolling Stones, Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson, Geogre Benson, Dave Brubeck, Ravi Shankar 2X,The O'Jays, Mojo Nixon, L7, Sheryll Crow, The Impotent Sea Snakes (if you ever get the chance...), Eric Clapton, Queen + Paul Rodgers, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd,  Bruce Springsteen, and Robert Fripp on his Frippertronics tour.

I'm sure there are more. 8)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »
A list of concerts I've attended.

Uh oh! New thread!

And Jim, Cowboys International? Now there's an unfairly neglected pop group.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »
                  I agree to you because in this age maturity is very sensitive. You make up applicable to you at this age like what music what you want.

"Hi.  I'm Boring, the Bot..."

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
I just got tickets for Judas Priest and Whitesnake in St. Augustine in August.
Rock on! :P

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »
Good God are these fellers still going ?

I was quite keen on the Priest when I was a young 'un. Never that taken with David Coverdale's
Whitesnake though. Hard to believe he's from Teesside with that plummy voice.

I think SUNN 0))) is the way forward mind, I think I tried one of their amps once many moons ago -
it caused a turgid firmanent of gloom to envelop me for some time :)

cheers
Pete

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
I read that JP is playing the entire "British Steel" lp on this tour.

I found the first Whitesnake on vinyl at an antique store (one of my favorite vinyl stores) about a year ago.  I like it.  Deep Purple "Burn is interesting, heavy metal with two lead vocalist (DC and Glenn Hughes).

What I found in my "return to vinyl pilgrimage" is that lps from the 80's are usually in great shape.  My theory on this is based on the following: a) good turntables were less expensive than in the 60's or 70's [eg: try finding a playable Monkees album]; b) it was the beginning of cds, and many people replaced their favorite albums with cds, causing lps from the 80's to be played less frequently; c) the albums themselves were manufactured better.

Latest antique shopping experience:  Heart "Dreamboat Annie", Bad Company, The Carpenters "Yesterday Once More", Emerson Lake & Palmer "Tarkus", and Tommy James "Christian of the World". 8) ::)