Author Topic: Best way to organize studio layout  (Read 6793 times)

einstein36

• View Profile
Best way to organize studio layout
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi there,

I am trying to figure out the best way to organize my studio and was wanting some input from different people here on their layouts and their way of working in their studios...

right now of course, I have a table with shelves for my monitor, speakers, amp, etc right in from of me, but I had to put my keyboard at a 90 degree right angle to the left of my table and keep my control surface in front too, but I would like to bring my keyboard back in straight in front of me without having to keep turning 90 degrees everytime I want to see the screen, etc. How would I go about doing this but also keep my control surface in front too????

thanks for any input you might provide..

If a pic would help...let me know and I will be happy to provide one...
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Best way to organize studio layout
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »
A Pic is always useful

My studio is in a small bedroom, so most probably not best layout...

PS I recently worked out that my most used piece of musical equipment is the drummers stool I sit on......

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »
Einstein,
I have the exact same problem where my midi keyboard is at a 90-degree angle from everything else.  Seren, I see you do the same thing as well.  ;)  I've been on the lookout for a desk with a very wide slide-out shelf that would be long and strong enough to accommodate a midi keyboard (instead of a standard computer keyboard).

Has anyone seen such a desk?
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »
I have been eyeing one of these, kind of on the expensive side, but would be great:

http://www.argosyconsole.com/argosy_dual15k.html

esp the rocketship model...exactly what we need

Einstein,
I have the exact same problem where my midi keyboard is at a 90-degree angle from everything else.  Seren, I see you do the same thing as well.  ;)  I've been on the lookout for a desk with a very wide slide-out shelf that would be long and strong enough to accommodate a midi keyboard (instead of a standard computer keyboard).

Has anyone seen such a desk?

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:06:29 PM »
Some very nice designs.  The price is outrageous, but I'm not that surprised given it's a niche product.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:32:30 AM »
Here's a cheaper alternative, I was using one of these up till a couple of months ago:

http://www.omnirax.com/index.php/DisplayProduct/0-35

You can find them pretty cheap on the used market, I think I paid $200 for mine when I got it. Speaking of which here is mine as it was, its now sitting in my garage waiting for me to figure out what I want to do with it.

Take care.

- Loren Nerell

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
the bad thing is that I have a Tascam FW-1082 control surface and I am afraid that if I used one of those keyboard slide out trays, it won't hold the weight of this thing and go crashing right into my keyboard:).......

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
the bad thing is that I have a Tascam FW-1082 control surface and I am afraid that if I used one of those keyboard slide out trays, it won't hold the weight of this thing and go crashing right into my keyboard:).......

That tray is pretty heavy duty, its not  like a keyboard tray on a cheap computer desk. It should easily hold your 14 pound Tascam controller with no trouble. My concern would be is the tray long enough to hold both your controller and keyboard.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
I have decided to save money is to modify my current studio desk and add a sliding tray underneath the desk just for the control surface and put my keyboard back ontop of the desk instead of swinging around 90 degrees every minute:)...I will probably take photos and post them as soon as I am done with that project..
thanks.

That tray is pretty heavy duty, its not  like a keyboard tray on a cheap computer desk. It should easily hold your 14 pound Tascam controller with no trouble. My concern would be is the tray long enough to hold both your controller and keyboard.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
I've often moved those trays around, and added a longer piece of wood between the sliders
to accommodate a larger keyboard. Easy to do on a wooden desk.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans