Author Topic: What are your plans and goals in 2008?  (Read 17088 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
What are your plans and goals in 2008?
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
I remember that in the old Forum, someone posted an interested topic at the beginning of 2007 about "What are your plans?"

It was mostly geared toward the music-makers here on the Forum, so they could talk about their upcoming projects, but it was also an interesting discussion of people's general plans for the coming year.

Lots in store for Hypnos, which I'll fill in later, but I wanted to kick off this topic and ask:

What are you planning or hoping to do during 2008?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
Re: What are your plans and goals in 2008?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »
Besides losing 10 pounds, I'm hoping to do a project with M Peck this year.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:16:10 PM »
'Flicker' - Collaboration with massively talented UK based ambient artist 'Achromus' (Michael Stringer)
http://www.myspace.com/achromus

I'm producing it effectively, as I'm reworking Mick's original tracks and adding the 'Igneous touch'.
It will be finished spring 2008. We're both big fans of David Sylvian's 'Gone to Earth' and while it
won't reach the dizzy musical heights of 'GtE', it's a kind of template I'm bearing in mind.

Pete K

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »
Yes - I love this topic - I'm the culprit for the 2006 and 2007 versions of this thread... :)  really glad you fired up a new one!

Once and for all - I'm buying a new soundcard and recording again.    Recording again has been my plan for about 4 years now (if you could still see the old threads, you'd laugh...)...   This is the year!   

Heidi and I have already talked about getting a new soundcard since my Aardvark is tied to Win98 - and I don't feel like trying to get it to work in XP.   I might still use the old computer for a drum machine - we'll see.   I have a goal of writing a few songs this year and maybe, just maybe, getting a release ready to send out as a demo.

We've already moved a large chair out of my studio and half of my bass amp is in next to my synths for the first time in 5 years (the other half of the amp is at my mother-in-laws - we had a great jam session on New Years Eve... :)  it's coming home soon...).   I'm toying with getting a new effects box as a present to myself, and Heidi thinks I should buy a decent guitar.   I'm definitely getting the sound card - we'll see about the rest. 

Beyond music my goal is to continue getting healthier and losing weight.   It was quite the weird year for my health last year.   I think I'm on the right track now with regular exercise, eating right, vitamins, and regular doctor visits.   

My wife and I have these sort of running resolutions to be...

* physically fit
* financially fit
* mentally fit

I've been working on those three for about 5 months now and things are looking a little better in the world.

Heidi and I plan to hike more - that's the biggie for us.  I'm not an outdoor person, never have been.  We went hiking once last fall and I loved it.   We also bought bikes and I can't wait for the weather to clear up a bit to get out and ride!   I'm riding indoors this winter to hopefully have the muscles built up to actually be able to go a decent distance next year.   

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:01:25 PM by jkn »
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »
Well, I left Shroud of Bereavement to concentrate on my own projects so 2 goals are to have  2 full length releases, one for Darkened Soul and one for Mired In Twilight (which I'll shop around to mike this time ;-) ). Continue learning guitar to eventually add some of it into the music quite possibly (acoustic most likely unless I got electric on the 7 string for some evil drone sounds.....muwhahaha

Lose some weight is another goal, get back into some form of exercising.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »
2007 sucked as a year with lots of stressful stuff (Kathryn had foot surgery, Onyx died, etc.) so my goal to start getting in shape these past twelve months was, shall we say, jettisoned. Hopefully, this year, I can attack it in earnest. I'd like to start shooting some hoops again over lunch time and finally get back to doing some weight training on the machines. Biking is STILL a goal that I haven't come close to attaining (but watched American Flyers last night as a way to start motivating myself). I also am in desperate need of FINANCIAL health...used way too many credit cards the last two years. This wil mean a second job for sure, but hey, this is the land of opportunity so there ya go. Finally, of interest here, is to find some way to write more music reviews...with the blog now up and the site resurrected, I just have to find the time and break through this terrible months long writers block that has developed. I want to have ZERO backlog by the end of the year...now THAT'S an ambitious goal.

Oh, and it would be nice to finally paint some rooms too. The front bedroom, kitchen, and my bathroom are looking particularly shabby. I gotta stop watching HGTV and start DOING what I watch instead!

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »
This thread reminds me that I didn't do any of the things I posted last year...   :(    ???

So, maybe a less ambitious list:

1.  Sell my Wisconsin house.  I've moved, and having two mortgages really, really sucks.
2.  Ski at least 75 days, and at least once every month, all year. 
3.  Finish final versions of all the unreleased stuff I deem worth finishing, then retire SunDummy.
4.  Finish the two-disk SünDümmy set, a mix of heavy, guitar-based stuff that never fit in the SunDummy mellow-drone mold.
5.  Ride a century on the road bike. 
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
To quote Daniel Day Lewis's charecter in The Last of The Mohicans..."Stay Alive!"
The cardiac stress test is in three weeks.  Van Halen and Salmon Rushdie in February.
I think I have a gig next Friday.  I have two discs ready for the copyright registration routine.

New Years Resolution...Obey traffic laws, no more speeding tickets.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 05:45:20 PM »
hahaha..I have to ask, Really, can any of us be 'Mentally Fit':) muhahahahah

Yes - I love this topic - I'm the culprit for the 2006 and 2007 versions of this thread... :)  really glad you fired up a new one!

Once and for all - I'm buying a new soundcard and recording again.    Recording again has been my plan for about 4 years now (if you could still see the old threads, you'd laugh...)...   This is the year!   

Heidi and I have already talked about getting a new soundcard since my Aardvark is tied to Win98 - and I don't feel like trying to get it to work in XP.   I might still use the old computer for a drum machine - we'll see.   I have a goal of writing a few songs this year and maybe, just maybe, getting a release ready to send out as a demo.

We've already moved a large chair out of my studio and half of my bass amp is in next to my synths for the first time in 5 years (the other half of the amp is at my mother-in-laws - we had a great jam session on New Years Eve... :)  it's coming home soon...).   I'm toying with getting a new effects box as a present to myself, and Heidi thinks I should buy a decent guitar.   I'm definitely getting the sound card - we'll see about the rest. 

Beyond music my goal is to continue getting healthier and losing weight.   It was quite the weird year for my health last year.   I think I'm on the right track now with regular exercise, eating right, vitamins, and regular doctor visits.   

My wife and I have these sort of running resolutions to be...

* physically fit
* financially fit
* mentally fit

I've been working on those three for about 5 months now and things are looking a little better in the world.

Heidi and I plan to hike more - that's the biggie for us.  I'm not an outdoor person, never have been.  We went hiking once last fall and I loved it.   We also bought bikes and I can't wait for the weather to clear up a bit to get out and ride!   I'm riding indoors this winter to hopefully have the muscles built up to actually be able to go a decent distance next year.   

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
wow, 2007 was such a phenomenal year for me it will be hard to top it.
the only things on my plate as "must do" are my ongoing marriage counseling with linda - it is strengthening our partnership immensely - and i have to lower my cholesterol via my diet. the statens work but the side affects are not acceptable.
musically i have 3 or 4 discs ready for release and a couple of multiple sets, too. i am biding my time and doing some qa on them to assure that i release stuff that doesn't suck.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 10:15:20 PM »
I want to clean up my studio, finally paint my modular cabinets and put my modular back together so I can use it again. Then, I can post a photo of my studio to the forum. That is, if I can figure out how to do it. ( Mike, get ready for a bunch of stupid questions). I want to post some music for forumites to hear and critique. It has been so long since I have exposed any of my music for review by my peers. It is way overdue. I need to get more excercise. I sit on my butt everyday driving 150+ miles a day. Lose about 5-6 pounds and eat better. Appreciate life and enjoy my family and friends more, because that's what it's all about.  ;D     harry D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »
Get a job. The rest I will think about once I can pay the bills. :(
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
eat more Pho! 

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »
I just received the information that i will get 900€
for my 3 Month internship. Was totally surprised by
this fact because i didnt thought about getting
payed for it. So the year will start with a "huge"
amount of money. 900€ is a "huge" amount
for a student like me ;)

Will invest a bit into new releases for my label.
and save the rest for the future.

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Hmm...

Lose weight.

Be more consistent, schedule-wise, with the Hypnagogue site.

Write another full-length play and get it on stage.

More theater productions for my other two full-lengths, preferably in places I want to visit. :-)

More productions all around.

And writing, writing, writing, more writing.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
I didn't realize you were a playwright!   Either I just haven't been paying attention or you've been shy.  :)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
I don't mention it much when I'm wearing my Hypnagogue mask, but yes--been writing plays since 2002, and it's been a blessing.

For the curious: www.johnshanahan.net.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »
That's cool stuff, John/Hypngogue.
The review site too.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »
Wow, wow, wow.... :)
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.