Author Topic: What are your plans and goals in 2008?  (Read 17343 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: What are your plans and goals in 2008?
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 07:13:49 AM »
That's great to hear, Loren.

And to John: you'd be surprised what you can beat with a stick  ;)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 07:26:59 AM »
Goal number one for 2008 has been achieved I am happy to say. I was officially hired today by my old alma mater. I am now a "recording technician" for the music department at UCLA. What that means is I am one of two guys who records all the concerts and recitals that occur in the music building.  :) Its only part-time but I found out that I might be able to make up extra hours by doing audio work for other departments, and their is the possibility that it might become full-time in the future. Another very rare bonus these days is it comes with full benefits.

Thanks to everyone who wished me well, and also to those who helped me out last December by taking some of my gear off my hands when I really needed the help.

Now, I think the next step is to start losing some weight.  ;D

Excellent news, Loren -- I know the job situation has been stressing you out.  Congrats!  It's also one of those jobs that sounds cool and impressive when you tell people about it.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »
Well done, Loren. I'm sure the stress level has dropped appreciably for you. Also glad it's at least tangentially involved with music. At 53, I live in mortal fear of ever losing a job again. Hopefully, I am indispensible enough here at Hamline University that I can just stay in my little cube and get to 65 (omigod...that's less than 15 years away!).

Loren, do stay away from those UCLA cheerleaders, though! Unless they like ambient music, of course! :o

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 09:08:26 AM »
That is wonderful news Loren! I have been out of work a few times in my life (including presently at age 53) and it is not pleasant on many levels. Hell, I need to lose some weight too, ha,ha! I wish you the best for the future, hopefully one that allows you to release further music.
Peace, Kirk

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 09:13:13 AM »
That's great news Loren!  Now you can work on the other items on your list.  ;D

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »
Belated congrats, Loren!  I seem to be headed in a different direction this year.  After twelve years slogging away at the same law firm, I've decided (for reasons probably best kept to myself) that I've had enough at the end of this month.  This change was probably long overdue, but I plan to take a bit of time off before moving into something else.  It's actually a pretty liberating feeling.  We'll see how it goes.

Forrest

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 11:04:50 PM »
Best wishes to you, Forrest!
Peace, Kirk

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:11 AM »
First, best of luck to all with regard to health, employment, and creativity.

As a stay-at-home Dad, my first job is to get back up to speed on quadratic equations so I can stay a step ahead of my son on his homework.  And keep the van running so I can continue to get both my kids to karate, scouts, music lessons, camps, theater programs, after school class help, etc.  Maybe continue finding a little time to volunteer at the handicapped riding center (actually, the only place I get to talk to other adults!)

Find spare time to listen to music (and some NPR).  Get back into long walks/hikes (hurt my foot pretty bad in 2006).  Bring my MP3 player and kill two birds with one stone!  ;D

Still be here to post a slightly updated version of this list in 2009.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2008, 06:10:28 AM »
Getting the money together for two more to be put on CDBaby. 

I have also finished three discs (MP3, 5-6 hours each, of course). 
"A Party of One at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe"  16 tracks, all "live" one track no overdubbed things.
"A Line From A Pale Blue Dot"  a 6 hour piece
"Oenyaw's Comedy Divine"  13 tracks, a whimsical musical based on Dante's "Inferno"
I'll post more when I have the strength.
ttfn
O
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/