Author Topic: Puremagnetik  (Read 5105 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Puremagnetik
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:18:01 AM »
Anyone here use their stuff in Ableton or Reason? They have a bunch of different racks, instruments, etc...and you can pay for a yearly subscription at www.puremagnetik.com and get their monthly releases. They are called micropacks. I signed up awhile ago and have gotten several already for use within Ableton Live. Some cool stuff. They just released a new one which I will be installing (along with others) to Live 7 later today to check out.

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
Re: Puremagnetik
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
I'm considering subscribing, and perhaps purchasing some of the older packs as well. I just bought Ableton Live 7, and I'm exploring the stock sounds, but there are gaps and Puremagnetik looks like the best candidate to fill them. I downloaded their free Neon Stereo effects (http://puremagnetik.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=42) and have been playing with those as well.

Which micropacks have you used?

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've installed them all except to my laptop which I just got Live 7 installed and am doing a full image of it now with Acronis. Once I get the boxed version I'll do another after installing the rest of the Live stuff. As for using, I've checked a few of them out that I have. I've gotten probably a half dozen since I signed up earlier this year from them. They just came out with Technoscape for Live 7 which should be interesting. For the price I think it's worth it for a year subscription. It gives you time to  check out what they have that you can get and what they continue putting out while in the membership. Once I get my living room done (next week right after xmas ceiling work begins, sheetrocking...oh yeah....and new fan for room and new microwave for kitchen finally) I should have more time to sit down and work on things. Plus I am looking at leaving my band to continue to focus on my stuff and save a few bucks per month from band rent and gas for show playing. It's been 4 yrs now and it's been fun! Played some cool shows, met some cool people, toured, play festivals (nothing really huge). But I think it's time to sideline from live playing in the band. I'll still help on the side as I can/as needed/when needed.

Mike

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »
I'm thinking about buying Technosphere and maybe some of the 8-bit sounds as well. Still very much trying to figure Live out - there is so much functionality there that I feel that I'm probably jumping the gun by buying additional sounds. I'm just scratching the surface with plug-ins, just getting started, and I have a lot to learn about digital recording in general. I've been playing for a long time, but just recently got the itch to record again - first time since the early 90s - and, of course, everything is different now.

Yeah, the band days are most likely over for me too. I find that I have less of a desire to play structured band-type tunes nowadays. Working at home, alone, suits me best anyway, I think.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
First you can never have enough sounds, just like CD's! LOL. It is a helluva program if you ask me with what you can do with it. I am still scratching the surface and I've been using it off and on since I got into it well over a year ago or so with Live 3.0.2->3.0.4->4.x->5.x->6.x->7.0.1. There's a LOT to learn on it just from the standpoint of understanding what everything is in the first place. If I understood the guts to synthesizers/synthesizing I'd probably be a lot further along......but seeing I should have some more time on my hands I should buckle down and dig out the lessons (recommended to go through them all as I review them now and then and still haven't gone through them completely) and the manual! And of course continue working on learning guitar more too.

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »
Too many sounds = paralyzing for me. I don't like having so many options! This is something that my musician friends don't typically understand, but I like a limited palette. Too many options and I spend too much time exploring and not enough time playing or recording. Sometimes I think this comes from being a lazy, plug-in-and-play guitar player. Other times it feels like a built in Oblique Strategy.

All this said, I think I will subscribe to Puremagnetik. I'm looking for some tabla and sitar, generally any kind of traditional Indian instrument plug-ins that I can use with Ableton. Do you happen to know of any other than SwarShala (they're out of my price range right now)?

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »
Hi, I don't know what they have for tabla/indian stuff. I know they have an acoustic guitar thing out recently but probably wouldn't be in the subscription, i.e. buy separately. Not sure who has them. Check out TrackTeam threads over at ableton forum too for more free stuff for Live.