Author Topic: Cooking  (Read 2086 times)

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
Cooking
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:17:48 PM »
Well, I looked all over for those salsa recipes and couldn't find them!

In the meantime, if you have a crock pot, try this.  It's easy, not too spicy, and reasonably healthy.  The only potential drawback is the pickled cauliflower, giardiniera, etc., is pretty high in salt.  I don't know how much is absorbed into the beef, but if you're on a low sodium diet this might not be for you.

Spicy Beef

One three pound beef roast (larger is okay, chuck works well)
One 32 oz. jar of hot pickled cauliflower

Cut the beef into several large pieces.  The "spicy-ness" is a surface phenomenon, so this helps the beef take on the flavor.  I usually cut it into serving sized pieces, bearing in mind that they'll shrink a little during cooking.  I usually try to make them about 10 ounces each.  While cutting the beef discard any large pieces of fat -- fat doesn't do well in the crock pot.

Put the beef in the crock pot.

Pour the liquid from the pickled cauliflower over the beef, turn the crock pot on low, and come back in about 10 hours.  The beef takes on a little of the "hot pepper" flavor of the liquid, but it's not overpowering (my kids like it).  It goes well with a salad, and the pickled cauliflower goes well on the side.

You should be able to find the pickled cauliflower in the pickles section, or possibly in the Italian foods section.  Giardiniera works well, too, but there's more liquid in the cauliflower.  Cento is the big brand name here in the northeast (US).

EDIT:  I should have mentioned that this works well in medium (4 quart) crock pot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:20:03 PM by cromag »
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: Cooking
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
Sounds good! I'll give it a try next week. I love easy weeknight meals.  :)      Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »
Right out of the crock pot it tends to fall apart.  After a night in the refrigerator the leftovers slice pretty well and make a good sandwich.

I have four crock pots and I use all four for Christmas dinner when the family comes over.  If we ever get divorced the crock pots are coming with me!
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:03:04 PM »
Mmm. crockpots! I have a smaller one (got rid of other larger one due to it breaking I think....or ceramic broke) and use it for pot roasts and chili mainly.

As for cooking, tomato sausage, a dozen in frying pan with 1/3-1/2 cup water to cook them in, cook till water is gone and brown them up over low-medium heat as casing break down/split on med-high heat...if you have a place that sells these (butcher boy perhaps or local market that has meats) check them out, mashed spuds and favorite veggie = YUMMY! I only have one place close to me that I get them from now. Used to be 2-3 places locally (10-15 mins tops to get to). But this place is known for their pork pies (little ones, all varieties). Thwaits in Methuen, been around forever.

But I wish I had a bigger crockpot! May have to get one now you have me thinking about it.....lol.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »
Baked Rainbow Trout:

Each fish has head and fins removed. Wrap individually in tin foil with some butter, a little olive oil, cherry tomatoes, slices of yellow and red pepper - add sprinkles of fresh coriander, black pepper and finally some soya sauce (occasional variation is the addition of some fresh lime or lemon juice.

Place in top of preheated oven at full whack for 20 Minutes.

Take out and place on a dish with the veg and juices. The fish should peel cleanly off the bone without the bones falling to pieces......

Usually enough in that for people to feel full without needing rice or anything....

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »
Got all day? This one'll do ya. Essentially, it's carnitas.

1 pork picnic shoulder, bone in.
Season with Adobo.
Dump 1 small can of diced chiles over it.

Set it on low, then go away for 12 hours.

We use this as-is for burritos. Also great for pulled pork--the bone will actually get up, excuse itself politely, and go, leaving only the delicious meat behind! Shred it and coat it with your favorite BBQ sauce.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com