Author Topic: Allmusic Reviews for Ambient titles  (Read 3526 times)

christeaves

• View Profile
Allmusic Reviews for Ambient titles
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering why there are so few reviews on Allmusic.com for ambient titles - one really was to struggle to find out information about some titles, and it seems like this would be covered by such a site (at least substantially better than it is).  I know Jim Brenholts does some reviews, can you help me with this question, Jim? 

Thanks in advance,
Christopher

Bill Binkelman

Re: Allmusic Reviews for Ambient titles
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
It's really pretty simple; it's just that there are so few reviewers out there, period, especially for "mainstream" ambient, unlike the more edgy stuff such as what Alan reviews (as well as his chaps at Furthernoise and other sites). If you're looking for reviews of ambient music, here are some links but again, these first three are less what I would call mainstream ambient and more experimental, abstract, collage, musique concrete, etc.:

http://www.igloomag.com/
http://www.themilkfactory.co.uk/st/
http://www.furthernoise.org/

Phil Derby's Electtroambient Space website offers more "conventional" ambient and EM reviews
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7m910/electroambientspace222/

As far as allmusic.com, I don't know what their policy is on review submission or taking on new reviewers. They may be "pickier" or make it harder for freelancers to submit. Jim will now better than I will. The promoter Ed Bonk is always urging me to apply to be a review with them, and I have queried them, but have not heard back yet. Not that I have a ton of time to review more than I am doing for New Age Reporter and New Age Retailer.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
all music guide does not want reviews for ambient titles or for most new age titles at that. they do not believe that they draw advertising so they don't accept them.
i still review for awareness magazine - print and on line - and an occassional independent review. contact me at my e-mail for info.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »
to get a cd listed at the allmusic site simply send a promo copy to:
Chris Woodstra
c/o AMG
301 E. Liberty Suite 400
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
he will keep the cd and get it listed on the site. their process then involves a contract reviewer requesting to review the cd. they do not send promo's to reviewers.
check and see who is writing the steve roach reviews these days. i think that sam rosenthal of projekt sends him promo's and probably has his address.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

christeaves

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
Thank you both for the work you have done to inform fans about the releases you review.  Maybe Allmusic should think that they are depressing the market for ambient and new age by not providing reviews for most of the works out there.  So much for their name... change it to Summusic.

-Chris

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Thank you both for the work you have done to inform fans about the releases you review.  Maybe Allmusic should think that they are depressing the market for ambient and new age by not providing reviews for most of the works out there.  So much for their name... change it to Summusic.

-Chris

LOL ;D
Well said, friend!

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

-Chris
while allmusic paid me quite well for the 2 years i freelanced for them they are extremely arrogant and would hesitate to listen to opinions not from woodstra himself.
summusic indeed. i like that!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com