Author Topic: Happy (and relieved) to be alive  (Read 5939 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Happy (and relieved) to be alive
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
Just though I let everyone know that I had a serious health-related scare this week, though I'm home now recovering and am gradually improving.  After experiencing some unfamiliar chest pain over the past week, I got a surprising result from my stress test Tuesday and was admitted to Alta Bates Hospital that same day.  Had a cath procedure done on a vessel to my heart the next day to remove plaque that very likely would have killed me if not treated.  After spending a day in ICU I am back at home, a little bruised from a fall I had a few hours before the operation, but am now feeling better and simply happy to be alive.

The timing of my hospitalization was really lousy (two weeks into a new job), but my new employer is very supportive and am grateful for that.

Forrest
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:52:03 PM by ffcal »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Happy (and relieved) to be alive
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
Wow, Forrest -- sorry to hear about your unpleasant scare, but it's great news that it was discovered in time, and now you have an opportunity to rehab and get better.  Take care of yourself!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
Forrest,

Best wishes for a total and quick recovery. We need you to get out there and promote the new disc in July (which I received BTW and it looks and sounds great)!

Mark

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
Sorry to hear this, Forrest. I wish you all the very best for recuperating. Take care.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:18:24 PM »
Wow Forrest, that's scary.  Good to hear they caught it in time.  Kinda puts my problems in perspective!

Heal fast!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Scary stuff! Hope you have a quick recovery. Take care.     Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »
Forrest,

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you and that you had to go through so much scary stuff. I am very glad, however, that they caught your problem early, and that you will continue to grace us with your presence here in the forum & bring us your wonderful music for many, many  years to come!  :)

~Take care!

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
Hey Forrest, the good news is that it was discovered in time. Hopefully you'll have a quick recovery. :)

And I'm also looking forward to your disc -the samples sounded awesome!

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:57 PM »
Hello Forrest,
  Yikes! I'm sorry to read about your unpleasant experience. It is good to know that you made it through and are home to heal. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery. I look forward to more music from you.
Peace, Kirk

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »
I'll add my best wishes for a full, speedy recovery and, as others have written, you were born under a lucky star that they found it when they did and took care of it. Time to buy a lottery ticket with that kind of luck, huh? ;)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »
scary stuff, indeed, forest. after having my 3rd heart attack in feb i now have 8 stents in the arteries around my heart. the hardest thing about having a cath is that i feel good right away so - in the past - i neglected my rehab. this time i did all the rehab and i feel pretty good now with more energy than i have had in a while.
i am also glad they caught it in time, forest. best on a recovery.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
THREE heart attacks? EIGHT stents??? Wow Jim, geez..... :o
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
All the best to you, Forrest, on a speedy recovery - and wow, thank goodness it was found.   
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »
So glad they caught your problem Forest!
(and Holy Smokes Jim! Glad you're still with us too.)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
Great to hear you are doing OK Forrest. Here's to a smooth recovery...

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 07:07:47 AM »
WOW!!!

I see Crestor, Omega 3 fatty acids, and low strength aspirin in your future.  Not to mention the incredible battery of tests they are going to put you through over the next two years.  No big deal.  It's really good that you caught it like you did.  A preempted heart attack is exponentally better than a real one.

Three heart attacks?!?!  So Jim, what brand did you smoke?  (sounds cold, but every time I ask it, I get the brand.)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 07:26:03 AM »
i smoked kools for about 30 years until my first one in '01. i have not smoked since. the first two mi's were back to back - aug '01 and oct '01. i had anothe cath in oct '06 and an mi in feb '09. my cardiologist tells me that my problem now is mostly heredity. my ldl was 150 - not great but not awful either. dr. addisey said, "jim, there are guys down at the bar right now smoking 3 - 4 packs a day, eating nothing but polish sausage and drinking all day. their cholesterol is 500 or 600 and they're not having attacks."
every direct male relative i have has had at least one heart attack - both grandfathers, my uncle, my brother and my father.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »
The timing of my hospitalization was really lousy (two weeks into a new job), but my new employer is very supportive and am grateful for that.

The timing may have sucked for your job, but it sounds like it was perfect timing for you in that you caught it in time before any major damage was done. I'm glad to hear that you are back on your feet and doing so well, just in time for your new release.  :)
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »
Forrest: I hope you recover soon.

Everyone needs to take this diet, exercise, medication thing to heart.

1.  Reduce your risk factors as much as possible: stop smoking, eat a healthy diet, exercise, keep your blood pressure under control (watch sodium intake)

2.  Take a statin like pravastatin (generic, cheap) or Crestor if your cholesterol is high and you have risk factors (all of the above plus being a male, or over 50, and most importantly, have a family history of heart problems).  These drugs even reduce risk if your cholesterol isn't high.

Everyone says "I'll just do what I want, enjoy life, and if I die, I die.  Hasta la vista."  However, it's not so simple, ask Forrest or Jim.  Plus these cardiac things are expensive and painful.  And many times you don't die...you're just maimed or a veggie (stroke).

Plus as you approach death, you realize how much you like to live in many cases.

Long live Crestor.

PS An LDL of 150 is pretty high in someone with a family history and who is a smoker.  The goal should be less than 100-110 is someone with those risk factors.

...and in my medical career of 21 years, I've only seen one or two folks with a cholesterol over 400 and both had had heart problems.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:00:43 PM by jimzzzak »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your support.  It means a lot to me and I really appreciate it.  I've been gradually improving over the past few days, and no longer feel that every other muscle in my body is aching.  I can't hold a candle to Jim B.'s fortitude--he wins the Iron Man award, hands down. 

So much of went right for me this time came down to chance--pretty scary to think of all of the other possible outcomes, including what may have happened if my stress test had not been moved up by a week-and-a-half because of an appointment cancellation.  I've actually been adhering to an exercise/diet regimen over the past year and a half, and have been making regular doctor's visits, which made the onset of this condition even more surprising.  Maybe my true mission in life is to put out more albums.

Forrest