Author Topic: New Oophoi Disc  (Read 5291 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
New Oophoi Disc
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:02:15 PM »
A new Oophoi dronework will be released Monday on Glacial Movements, a collaboration with an ambient guitarist named Enrico Coniglio. They call themselves AquaDorsa, and the disc is called "Cloudlands". I haven't heard any samples yet, but I'll order it anyway, since most Oophoi discs are a hit with me.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: New Oophoi Disc
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
Very stoked for this.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:24:08 AM »
i love Oophoi's work, though those high-pitched sounds keep me a bit off..   
nice cover!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:25:51 AM by jim02 »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:55:31 AM »
According to Gigi, "the music is a mixing of ambient sounds, glitchy rhythms and cinematic atmospheres, more song-oriented then all my other albums".

Hmmm, should be interesting...

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 06:45:38 AM »
Ugh...really not down with the whole glitch scene.  Too many bad associations with scratched discs and busted stereos.

I'll cross my fingers and give it a listen, though.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
Ugh...really not down with the whole glitch scene.  Too many bad associations with scratched discs and busted stereos.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to be like that too, it's actually been only the last year or two that I've begun to enjoy glitchy stuff.

And wow, the audio samples for Gigi's new one are glitchy, indeed.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
I have never really understood the art of glitch either...it seems like every ambient music that involve glitch sounds..is regarded a masterpiece....All "mordern" ambient genre...have glitch sounds...
Too me it seems like a waste of time to cut and paste "glitches" there is absolutely no emotion in that...it is only cut and paste of digital jitter/noise... of course..there is good and bad examples....
There is a few artists that use glitch in an artistic way...Like Keith Berry ...

Anyway like a huge Opphoi (or is it O÷pphoi?) fan...this is without doubt one of the high lights of the years...even though..I have no idea what to expect..

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »
I agree, glitchy sounds do seem to be "the style" these days, but some of it is truly effective to my ears, for reasons I don't even understand. It can add an interesting texture to certain sounds. It suddenly "clicked" with me one day while listening to APK's compilation CD, Perceived Distances. There are 3 or 4 glitchy tracks on that comp that I just love.

And from there, I bought a couple of excellent Beta 2 Agonist CDs, and I was hooked from that point on. ...although some glitchiness can just be distracting and annoying. As with any other music, you have to be careful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:25:30 PM by Joe R »

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »

Hmmmm...where are you finding these samples, good sir?
Ain Sophistry

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »
Well I ordered the new Oophoi without hesitation.  I can't imagine it'll be some kind of glitchfest like a 12k release.  I'm sure it'll have a healthy dose of majestic space drones, glitches or not.  I am super excited about this release!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

Hmmmm...where are you finding these samples, good sir?

On the Glacial Movements website. From the main page click on "catalog". From there, click on the >>> at the bottom, twice. Then click for details.
I had a hard time finding it too.

Undershadow

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
Just got this today...The first track uses a sample from Genesis' "Watcher of the Skies" on the Foxtrot album (??!)  Strangely, no credit given here but there is acknowledgement of a sample taken from Penguin Cafe Orchestra....   

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
Just finished my first listen and this is a VERY NICE disc, it should not disappoint those who ordered it. Reminds me very much of Rapoon's excellent "Time Frost" release on GM. Nice mix of glitch, ambient drones, and interesting samples.  Also another wonderful cover artwork here.  Buy without hesitation...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
where is it available?
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
where is it available?

You can order it from the Glacial Movements website.

Boy, I was really hoping I'd have this disc by now... maybe tomorrow. I have a number of discs that are languishing in the mail system right now. My postman must have died.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »
Still like this one a lot after a few more spins.  It should be said, though, this isn't what I'd call a space drone release, it is more "electronica" sounding, with subtle melodies, samples, glitch elements, and definitely more "upbeat" than anything previous by Oophoi, so if you're looking for "Athlit" part two, this isn't it.  Nevertheless, I think it was an experiment with very good results.  Should surprise a lot of fans.   

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
I agree with Drone On. It's quite a departure for Oophoi, very experimental, but for the most part it works surprisingly well. It took a track or two to assimilate the sound of "Oophoi with glitch", but once I did it was a very nice ride indeed! The longer tracks work the best in my opinion, giving the music time to unfold and develop. Keeping an open mind is the key to this one, because obviously it isn't a typical Oophoi disc.