Author Topic: Loren Nerell's upcoming..  (Read 2714 times)

jim02

• View Profile
Loren Nerell's upcoming..
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:22:30 AM »
recently i'm into the world of gamelan music again.. as far as my sandy brain can rememember, there was some talk in a Steve Roach newsletter about a new upcoming full-lenght by Loren Nerell.. i would say, exciting though!

can you tell us something about it, Loren..?
i also saw an upcoming re-issue of TERRAFORM on Projekt, which i always enjoy quite a lot.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Loren Nerell's upcoming..
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »
Wonderful news, about time that our dear friend Loren put out some new music :)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
Yep, all true and more. Terraform is being re-released on Projekt, probably this summer. This time in a regular jewel case and not the expanded DVD style packaging.

The new full length is not entirely new, its going to be an expanded version of The Venerable Dark Cloud. It will have all the original tracks from the original Amplexus release but with three out takes from the original session and three new tracks. In total it will be about three times the length of the original mini CD.  The newer tracks will be intertwined with the old ones, for one long continuous play much like the original release, and will be mastered by Steve Roach probably this summer if all goes according to plan.

I also have a nearly completed 60+ minute drone piece that just needs a few touch ups. The label that was going to release it sort of went away on an extended leave, so I'm looking for a label for that one if anyone is interested . . . .

Also the disc with A Produce is still in the works and is making slow progress. Barry and I got together just yesterday for the first time in about two months and did a bit of work on one track. We are probably a couple tracks away from completing that one, of course we then have to mix and master it.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:26:24 AM »
I have all the Amplexus series and I love The Venerable Dark Cloud. Will be interesting to hear the new disc when it comes out.

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:38:15 AM »
that's good news Loren! i hope things will go smootlhy finding a proper label for the right exposure. i guess the extended Amplexus version will be released on Steve's own Timeroom label..

i'm anxious to hear that longform piece after the excellent TAKSU.
keep us updated with more news!

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:55:15 AM »
Hi,

These are really good news.
The venerable dark cloud is one of my most beloved pearls from the Amplexus mcd necklace, along with Steve Roach, Robert Rich & Temps perdu ?.
I like the vocal parts on the first track and the whole ambience developed on this mcd.
It would be interesting to listen the previous versions and some tracks from that time.

Besides, I do expect the collaborative work with A produce. The samples are really appealing !

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
Just thought I'd finally do an update to this thread, itís been close to two years since the last post and a lot has been going on. First the non CD related stuff.

Of late I've been working with this dance troupe called the Post Natyam Collective. They will be performing next weekend here in Los Angeles (April 1,2,3), then they will be touring their show. About 80-90% of the music is stuff I have written for them, all new material and a bit different then my normal fair. Go to the following url for more information about the LA show:

http://www.teada.org/CurrentSeason.html

Visit their website for more information about the upcoming tour:

http://www.postnatyam.net/

Speaking of web sites, my web site will be back on line soon. Complete new design so more modern looking then the old one. I'd say take a look in a couple of weeks at:

www.lorennerell.com

I've scored a film, well on second thought it scored me!  :D Actually I was contacted by the film maker to see if he could use some of my music in his film on Bali call Talking with Spirits. Of course I said yes, how could I pass this up? The film is not out yet, its premiering in Bali on April 12th. There will probably be a short film tour this summer and will then probably be released next fall on DVD. The music that was used came from Lilin Dewa, The Venerable Dark Cloud, and some other stuff not yet released. You can see a short preview clip (without any music) at the following url:

http://www.socialchangefilmfestival.org/portfolio/world-premiere-of-talking-with-spirits-a-film-by-michael-wiese/

Ok this one is a bit odd for me. About a year ago a friend of mine asked me to help him do a remix of this singer friend of his named Larisa Stow who does these canartic pop chants live, its somehow connected with the yoga crowd and has taken off a bit. Well we did the remix, had a bit of fun and then they released an EP called Dance Chants that Larisa sells at her shows. Somehow the track I remixed got picked up and is now on the soundtrack to a film called Discover the Gift. It premiered here in LA last weekend and will be released on DVD sometime later this year. You can learn more about it here:

http://discoverthegift.com/the-movie/

On to music, and a surprise. My first album that I released on cassette back in the early 1980s is going to be re-released on vinyl. For those of you who don't know itís called Point of Arrival and is more in the old Berlin school vain then my more recent stuff. It will be a limited edition on the Forced Nostalgia label. No bonus tracks, just the original material. I'll post more info when I have it.

The album I did with A Produce called Intangible is in Mike's hands and is waiting for final approval of the artwork. I don't know when it will be out, but I think itís on the short list for release.

The Venerable Dark Cloud reissue has taken a back seat to all the other things I've been doing. I need to add a track or two and then it should be done. I'll probably get back to work on this after the dance project is complete.

I have another album in the can ready for release that I have been calling Mod Phase, but I am thinking about calling it Lambat Dream. Lambat literally means 'slow,' so you can probably guess what itís like.  :) I've been talking with Soleilmoon about a limited edition release.

Lastly, I received a recording of my set at SoundQuest Fest and have been wondering what to do with it. I'm not sure if it merits a CD release or not. I've been thinking maybe a download only release? Give me some feedback and tell me what you think.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »
Hi Loren, thanks a lot for all your updates, nice to see you active with several projects. I definitely will stay tuned for upcoming "Intangible" CD. Regarding your live set at SoundQuest Fest, I am one of those who have missed this great event, so I would really appreciate your decision to release it on CD format, I really hope it will be possible. All the best from Slovakia... :)

Richard

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
Intangible won't be long. I'd say it should go to the manufacturing stage within a few weeks.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of activity! I look forward to any and all releases you have coming. I will be getting your Soundquest set in whichever format you release it in.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.