Author Topic: Harold Budd out of retirement (again)  (Read 2406 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Harold Budd out of retirement (again)
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »
Tonight I picked up the new Harold Budd/Clive Wright CD, "Candylion."  Wow, this one is SO much better than "Song for Lost Blossoms"!  While Blossoms was a good release, some of the tracks were just too long and I felt it could have been a stronger album overall.  Candylion benefits from shorter pieces/more musical ideas, plus it is just stunningly gorgeous music.  This has everything I ever liked about Budd's music.  Some of his best music in years!!! 

jim02

• View Profile
Re: Harold Budd out of retirement (again)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:51:47 PM »
i agree, a very fine release indeed! i'm still digging it. That track 'The Bells' (also featured on YouTube) is one of most stunning tracks i've heard this year. Like wandering through a serene japanese garden..

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
Tonight I picked up the new Harold Budd/Clive Wright CD, "Candylion."  Wow, this one is SO much better than "Song for Lost Blossoms"!  While Blossoms was a good release, some of the tracks were just too long and I felt it could have been a stronger album overall.  Candylion benefits from shorter pieces/more musical ideas, plus it is just stunningly gorgeous music.  This has everything I ever liked about Budd's music.  Some of his best music in years!!! 

Good to hear. I was a little disappointed by the first collab with Clive as well. It's funny how many fragments and recurring motifs from earlier in his career are beginning to show up in his recent work.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 08:15:47 AM »
Finally received this one. Lovely! It's essential for fans. I just wish Samahdi Sound would release a proper CD of his last acoustic piano recording.

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:06:23 AM »
I do personally disagree with your statements gentlemen  ;)
I did appreciate the first collaboration better than the second one.
It sounds more subtle and refined to me, probably the nostalgia / sadness of "Pensive aphrodite", the delicate poetry of  "A song for lost blossoms", the sensuality of "Forever hold my breath".
All these covers give a brand new approach to the original tracks.
All in all, I found the first CD more touching, even romantic, than "Candylion". I feel "Candylion" to be the "man" face of this music.
Beyond my personal taste and choice, I feel these two releases as "feminine" and "masculine" faces of their music.
Candylion sounds mental, and Songs for lost blossoms sounds "sensual".

But, this is just my own feeling  ::)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
Wow, that was a very "analytical" review.  Male/female, yin/yang, mental/sensual, you covered it all!  ;)

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »
I didn't enjoy Song For Lost Blossoms very much, in fact it had bored me after a couple of listens and I subsequently shelved it.

After reading this thread I'm making a point to give it another chance, possibly this evening. 

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I didn't enjoy Song For Lost Blossoms very much, in fact it had bored me after a couple of listens and I subsequently shelved it. After reading this thread I'm making a point to give it another chance, possibly this evening.

I listened to it many times and it never gained. I feel it's a little undercooked and the guitar work is too predominant on the longer tracks. I get a similar feeling listening to Lovely Thunder. Nice, but not fully "there" yet.

BTW I think you all should check out:

http://www.moonliner.com/Home.html

I can't believe I missed the chance to go to Seattle to see Harold with Keith Lowe! OTOH the book is printed here in Vancouver and I'm getting one of the Ltd. editions.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »
Tonight I picked up the new Harold Budd/Clive Wright CD, "Candylion."

Oops! Gruff Rhys of The Super Furry Animals beat him to the CD title!