Author Topic: New John Foxx w/Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)  (Read 1215 times)

drone on

• View Profile
New John Foxx w/Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:04:46 AM »
I was just going to mention this one in "now playing" but this is just too great to mention in passing.  My expectations of "Mirrorball" were not that high after the recent Foxx collaboration album with Steve Jansen (ex-Japan, Sylvian, etc.), which was so disappointing (a bunch of ambient noodling with no soul is how'd I'd describe that one).  Guthrie's guitars are chiming and gorgeous as usual, but it's Foxx's Gregorian chant-like vocals a la his "Cathedral Oceans" series that really shine and bring everything together.  A very beautiful, spiritual album, and highly recommended.  Definitely a high position on my Top 10 list for 2009 so far.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
Re: New John Foxx w/Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »
Guthrie's guitars are chiming and gorgeous as usual, but it's Foxx's Gregorian chant-like vocals a la his "Cathedral Oceans" series that really shine and bring everything together.  A very beautiful, spiritual album, and highly recommended.

I just received this and while I must say I found Cathedral Oceans' ethereal vox to be overwrought, the use of the male voice here is really nice and I'd refer to (ECM "hybrid world" artist) Stephan Micus' voice for comparisson.

On a side note: after photographing Robin in 2007 I sent him photos of a mirrorball, jellyfish...and fallen cherry blossoms. Strangely enough, the current three releases from him feature CD art consisting of...a mirrorball, jellyfish...and fallen cherry blossoms.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:14:18 PM by Mark Mushet »