Author Topic: Jon Jenkins -- Flow  (Read 2057 times)

avec

• View Profile
Jon Jenkins -- Flow
« on: June 09, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »
I came across this enjoyable disc perusing Amazon. Here's a track from it:

The album does have a gentle flow to it and sounds quite beautiful.  Kind of a brighter daytime ambient.  Maybe I would compare it to Obmana's River of Appearance in overall tone?  I haven't had it long enough to decide, but it is uplifting quite like that one.   

Anyone else ever give this, or his other work, a chance?

judd stephens

• View Profile
Re: Jon Jenkins -- Flow
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »
Maybe I would compare it to Obmana's River of Appearance in overall tone? 

To me it sounds a lot like Patrick O'hearn's music, especially his late 80's and 90's output.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:22:36 AM »
I came across this enjoyable disc perusing Amazon. Here's a track from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXoAJo_5Rg0The album does have a gentle flow to it and sounds quite beautiful.  Kind of a brighter daytime ambient.  Maybe I would compare it to Obmana's River of Appearance in overall tone?  I haven't had it long enough to decide, but it is uplifting quite like that one.    Anyone else ever give this, or his other work, a chance?
JJ's latest solo disc is Beyond City Light and on both that disc and his more recent collab with David Helpling, Treasure, there are undeniably valid comparisons to O'Hearn, circa Metaphor and Trust, although Beyond City Light's last several tracks are totally ambient, not dramatic, melodic and rhythmic like O'Hearn's work of that era. His earliest CD, Continuum, is a lot like the brand of American electronica/cinematic soundscapes popular on Private Music in the late 80s and early 90s. Broad sweeping melodies and forceful rhythms. As with all Spotted Peccary recordings, IMO, engineering and production are flawless. It just depends if you like the SP modus operandi of favoring melody and structure over a more "classic" ambient approach. Personally, I think all his discs are worth getting, but Treasure, in particular, is outstanding, with Beyond City Light not far behind it.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
"Flow" is a hella old disc, dude.  Came out in late 90's(?).  Get "Beyond City Light", from several years back, it is much better.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
I'll definitely be taking "Treasure" and "Beyond City Light" for a ride soon!

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
both great cd's!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

starwalker464

• View Profile