Author Topic: Headphones ?  (Read 6046 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Headphones ?
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:56:50 AM »
What Headphones do you find the best for Ambient music ???

I am getting more and more interested in the Sennheiser HD 650..also AKG k701/k702 is of interest..

I have after some time realized that my headphones Beyerdynamics DT880 PRO are not good for all kinds of music...
I am very satisfied with it for other music..but for ambient..the mid range sound to "distant" and no focused enough.

To my big surprise...I do sometimes prefer the sound of my old AKG 240Studio headphones when listening to steve roach...atleast his non-percussive music. The AKGs sounds more soft/silky/wet/fresh/thin or how to describe it, but still very good clarity in the mid range.... The DT880 sounds more analogue and fat to me... which I really like in most cases especially for rock music with drums and distortion guitars...
However..for ambient music these headphones might not be the most "musical" ...
Of course...I have no idea how a more expensive high-end amplifier would affect the sound...
But the one I have is..still quite good..but it is no high-end..

Sighthound

• View Profile
Re: Headphones ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »
I use Grado Labs Sr-80's.  They have really nice, deep, bass reponse and very clear highs.  I already wore out one pair and am well into my second pair.

Undershadow

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:40:09 AM »

I am getting more and more interested in the Sennheiser HD 650..

Hey, Jason. I'm a Sennie fan, and have a pair of HD-580s - very much like the flagship HD-650, but considerably cheaper (ok, they look cheaper, but they sound ascloseasthis, and are around $150 less). Now discontinued, but would recommend you try and hunt down a pair.

vs.

Undershadow

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »
Late-breaking News: the successor to the HD-580, the HD600, has had its price slashed on amazon.com. Only $269.95, and apparently an improvement according to this.

(Unfortunately, the young lady is not bundled with the item - only a 'serving suggestion')

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:55:30 AM by Undershadow »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:38:38 PM »
Good call Alan,

I've got those HD-580s too and they are very good.

I'm a bit of a headphone fan, currently I'm using:

The aforementioned Sennheiser 580s - great sound and very comfy. Not recommended for wearing on the
bus though, as you'll look a bit daft (I speak from personal experience)

Etymotic Er6i - not great, weedy bass response, very good sound isolation (I got these to replace
some Er4ps that I lost - Doh !)

Beyer Dynamic DT250 - use these everyday, great, comfy studio phones. Dead solid.

Shure E500 earphones - fantastic, very good for ambient material IMO.

cheers
Pete

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

I am getting more and more interested in the Sennheiser HD 650..

Hey, Jason. I'm a Sennie fan, and have a pair of HD-580s - very much like the flagship HD-650, but considerably cheaper (ok, they look cheaper, but they sound ascloseasthis, and are around $150 less). Now discontinued, but would recommend you try and hunt down a pair.

vs.

Thanks yeah it is probably better value for the money..but I will not compromise in this...since music is my life..it is important to have good sound...
From what I have seen on other forums it is HD650...that seem to be the best alterntive....

I still keep my DT880 PRO for sure....to use for mixing.. or other styles of music...

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »
I have had a pair of BeyerDynamic DT770's I got at a local Guitar Center a couple of yrs or so ago for ~$200. I like them, not too heavy, pretty good fit/external sounds dampened (at least to me). Could be a bit heavy for some folks but I like sound I get out of them for most any music.

Mike

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »
I have a pair of HD-580s as well, and they're very fine.  The "open" design lets in a lot of outside sounds, though, so they're really best for listening in a quiet place. 

Just as often I wear my trusty old Sony 7506 closed-ear headphones.  They don't sound quite as nice but they're pretty accurate and good for blocking out all background sounds, like when working on some mastering jobs.  I've been using this same pair since the mid 90s, in fact before I bought good monitor speakers I did 100% of Hypnos mastering, as well as recording most of my own material, using these headphones.  The Sennheisers entered the picture maybe 6-7 years ago and since then I use one pair or the other depending on the application, or if there's a lot of racket in the studio.

Also I bought a headphone amp/splitters so more than one pair of headphones can be used at once, which is useful for recording "live" instruments into a microphone, since loud monitor speakers in the same room as an open mic obviously will cause feedback.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
I've disconnected my Sennheiser HD 211Pro headphones for good. Woke up one day in the middle of March of this year to discover my ears were ringing big time. The ringing varies in volume, balance, and noise type. Years of headphone use, loud guitar amps, drums, live music, going deaf for a minute at a concert where somebody lit off an M160, traffic noise and stereo listening have set off my tinnitus. No more live music for me. I can listen to recorded music at low volumes through speakers.

Watch out!

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »
I think I might have had some phase problems, since I did change electric socket for the headphones power supply it did sound better...I read on it some forum that you should use the same -electric socket for your soundcard and headphone amplifier...I have done no A/B test yet, so hopefully it is not just an illusion.

However the AKG 240studio have still and my crystalline sound..while the DT880 sound more layred and dynamic...maybe little more "dry"
But it really depends on what type of production...ambient can sound little bit dry sometimes..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:43:44 PM by Immersion »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
Had a check and found 4 sets (not including mp3 player type ones)

Main studio - Beyerdynamic DT931, bought as a present for myself when I'd got my diploma - guy in the shop gave them to me on a blind test and I could not resist them despite the cost. Open back but brilliant, use them also for personal listening if I really want to hear the detail, just have to make sure windows are closed as sometimes I mistake the traffic etc for music ;D.

studio extra set - sennheiser HD 212 pro - picked up as a freebie from some hi-fi magazine a few years back - closed back but i find them too small on my ears for long listening.

Computer music - when i bought my VS2480 second hand a pair of Phillips SBC HP 195's came with it. Closed backs (big round things and I added a leather strap for comfort.

Personal use with MP3 player - TDK M100. nice sound and not tiring on the ears.

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 04:27:46 AM »
I´ve been using MB Quart´s Quartphone 90 and 95 for ages, and they´re absolutely fantastic. A very transparent, well-balanced character, not over-emphasizing the low or top end, and very comfortable on the ear even after hours of use.

I also have a Beyerdynamic DT-770 but I find this one terribly mid-heavy and tiring on the ear. I just use it for on-stage monitoring because it shuts off external noise pretty well.

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
In the living room I wear Koss Pro4-AAT Titanium headphones.  They're big and heavy, but good sound within my budget and they do a good job of blocking outside noise.  I find they're not quite as awkward as the Pro4-AA studio headphones.  I've been a fan of Koss headphones since the late 70s.

For walking with the MP3 player I have a pair of Koss PortaPro and Koss SportaPro headsets.  They both sound great, and let in enough sound to let me know if there's a car (or angry dog) coming up behind me.  The PortaPros are a little more expensive, a little more solidly built, and have an interesting pressure adjustment, but I find the SportaPros a little more convenient to use.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

phi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 11:06:41 AM »
Sennheiser HD570.
Great sound and I can also hear my little boy if he calls  ;)

matthew

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:57:36 AM »
You already have an AKG which you like and the 701 is a very definite improvement. Unless you are very sensitive to what you look like wearing a headset,  don't bother with the 702, at +100$ it's only different in color and connection. The character is like for like the same, although some people of course hear a difference. In Europe we're getting the 701 at stores like thomann.de for around 200 euro's. Amount to about 250$ I think.

I have listened to both in a store (not the best condition) and keeping in mind that a "good" headset is more about taste, the immediate thing I noticed was that the Sennheiser sounded like a (very good) headset, and the AKG didn't sound like a headset. In my opinion, the AKG is more natural, wider/deeper sounding and has less "standing wave" issues (as far as they are an issue with a headset ; ). The Sennheiser is a bit dirtier on the bass which will lead most people to think the AKG has no bass at all in a one on one comparison. Since I believe you can train your ears if you have better "input" I would also say the AKG has more headroom for learning.

Speaking of headroom, what is a concern is comfort. I would say that on long sessions, a minute difference in quality and even a minor difference in taste is greatly offset by how invisible the headset is to wear. The leather band on the AKG does prevent the headset from pressing on the sides of your head (to stay stuck) but I have yet to wear it for any extended period of time (same for Sennheiser). I found the band obtrusive thanks to the repeated "large bubble" pattern but might get used to it.

Either way, you won't go wrong with neither, they are fantastic value for their price.