Author Topic: Now watching...  (Read 27310 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Now watching...
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:51 AM »
....I know the effects work because she became strangely attractive (she is "played" by Zoe Saldana who played Uhura in the latest ST so she's beautiful in her own right).

I know the feeling - I've always been interested in mythological animals and (embarrasing admission coming...) I found the female Centaurs in the Narnia films strangely impelling too....

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Alan, how would you rate the importance of seeing it in 3D?  Does it make a huge difference?  We received several movie passes for Christmas but they won't work for the more expensive 3D showings, so I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time to see it in a normal 2D theater.
I saw it in 2D first and thought it was amazing in and of itself. The 3D, while kinda cool, wasn't worth the extra $ IMO ($4 difference at the local theater). The glasses tended to dim the colors. And as I wear glasses anyways, having a 2nd pair on over my own was annoying. I will say that they have improved the 3D effects compared to old days.

That's my big concern, since I too am a glasses wearer. The last time I tried to see a 3D movie, the small 3D lenses didn't completely cover my glasses so I was constantly squinting so I didn't see "two versions" of the film. How big are the 3D glasses lenses? Anyone? Plus, as Alan wrote above, there is also the uncomfortable annoyance factor (having two "glasses arms" over my ears).

Alan Imberg

• View Profile
    • alanimberg.com
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
That's my big concern, since I too am a glasses wearer. The last time I tried to see a 3D movie, the small 3D lenses didn't completely cover my glasses so I was constantly squinting so I didn't see "two versions" of the film. How big are the 3D glasses lenses? Anyone? Plus, as Alan wrote above, there is also the uncomfortable annoyance factor (having two "glasses arms" over my ears).
The glasses were actually pretty big, kinda like Raybans with the black rims. They covered my glasses alright but were pretty heavy. My main complaint was the dimming of the colors. But the 3D effect was impressive in some parts. There was one scene where theres ash coming down through the air and it looked like the ash was right in front of me. But still, I wouldn't pay the extra $$$ for 3D if I was bringing the whole family.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »
I figure if the 3d effect is an improvement on what I've seen before, it's worth a few extra $$ over the 2d version.  We're planning to see this tomorrow.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »
Lena and I saw Avatar in 3d yesterday with some of my family, in a packed theater during the afternoon.  I thought the 3d added an extra level of immersion and "being there" which I really enjoyed, but I think even in 2d only this would have been a very major "event" film due to the really impressive world creation and especially the best CG animated characters yet seen on a movie screen.  Once every decade or two a film comes along that is such a leap forward visually, or in terms of the believable representation of people, creatures ore locations that don't really exist.  I'm thinking of the Lord of the Rings films (really the first one was the real leap forward, and the others just carried on from that level), Terminator 2 (the closest comparison I can think of -- a film packed with so much "gosh, wow!" visual energy and inventiveness that the audience almost doesn't mind the clumsy aspects to the story), and before that, Blade Runner, the first Star Wars film, or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I definitely want to see this again, preferably in 3d, and I'm sure it's one of those major sci-fi event films that will earn a billion dollars, inspire sequels, make James Cameron "king of the world" again, and inspire other studios, directors, and special effects houses to create a next generation of entertainment that much closer to "virtual reality" immersiveness.

Something like this, despite its faults, puts to shame recent mega-budget effects spectaculars like 2012 and 10,000 BC.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Alan Imberg

• View Profile
    • alanimberg.com
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »
I agree with you, Mike, in that this is one of those points of impressive advancement in film-making and Sci Fi. For the first time, I emotionally connected with a CG characters. I suppose the nearest that has happened previously for me was Gollum from LOTR (sorry Jar Jar Binks).

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
Just saw Up in the Air on New Years Eve. TREMENDOUS film...absolutely on point for a realistic snapshot of people in these tumultuous times. Great performances all around. Clooney, is, of course, superb. He is heading towards being the best American actor of his generation, IMO. Can't remember seeing a more mature yet accessible film in a long long time. Not as much a comedy (although many laugh out loud moments) as a genuine slice of life, i.e. comedy, drama, tragedy, hope, ambiguity, despair, hopelessness, and redemption. Makes me realize there is hope for film after all..it's not just special effects, explosions, and cliche-ridden plots.

Going to see The Hurt Locker next week at a neighborhood second run theater http://www.riverviewtheater.com.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »
Saw Avatar in 2D this afternoon. Its a crazily good piece of work, technically.
Hope to see the 3D before it leaves the cinemas.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Bill,

I agree with you about Up in the Air, great film.  It's not over the top with anything, the tone is just perfect.  You said it best when describing it as "mature".  I saw Invictus, Nine & Up in the Air this week & Air is by far the best of the three.

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
I just got back from seeing Dances with Aliens ... ummm, I mean Avatar ... in 3D.

First, let me say this is a very, very good movie: a good (if somewhat predictable and familiar) plot, good characters, great special effects, and very good use of 3D (not too many spears thrusting out of the screen, that sort of thing).  It would probably still be one of my favorite movies in 2D -- and I don't think anyone has the technology for 3D on TV yet, so I'm sure I'll be getting the 2D version when the DVD comes out.

We got there at 6:30 for the 7:00 show, and the line already ran 2/3 of the way around the lobby, so the crowds haven't dispersed yet.  And, here in NJ at least, two adult tickets (and just the tickets) set me back $29.00 (yes, I'm cheap!  I was shocked!) -- I told my daughter it was a sinister plot to sell overpriced snacks to people on line, and then have them hungry again during the show.

Of course, for me half the fun of going to a movie is picking the nits, but I won't do that here -- I don't want to ruin it for anyone.  Still, you should see it, and see it in 3D if you can.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2010, 02:55:48 AM »
Saw Avatar last night - and made the Dances with Aliens comment to my friends too. It is spectacular and for the first time I felt I was actually watching the sort of alien landscape I vividly imagined when reading Sci-Fi novels in the 70's, including Brian Aldiss's Hothouse.

will be getting this on DVD as soon as it comes out

Alan Imberg

• View Profile
    • alanimberg.com
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
I took my youngest to see "Alvin/Chipmunks 2". Oh, the things a parent must do....

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
I took my youngest to see "Alvin/Chipmunks 2". Oh, the things a parent must do....
Hopefully it was in 3D.  :D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2010, 06:35:57 AM »
We had a dvd player break...  replaced with a blu-ray player.    Picked up Planet Earth and the latest Harry Potter on blu-ray.   

Wow - Planet Earth - I've watched the standard dvd many times - seeing it in hi-def is almost like seeing it clearly for the first time.   And I thought the standard dvd was jaw dropping gorgeous!

Also - Heidi and I are continuing our Boston Legal marathon..  about mid-way through season 2. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
Last night watched the Watchmen director's cut on BluRay.  Such great stuff.  Yes, the movie has slight flaws, but this is a great translation of this super-classic graphic novel.  Lots of fun, visually stylish and inventive, and enjoyable even if you know where the story is headed.  Alan Moore (who wrote the graphic novel, for those of you who don't know) refused to have his name attached to the film but that's no reflection on its quality.

I plan to take in some of the extensive special features on the extra discs.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
How big are the 3D glasses lenses? Anyone?

Here they are, Bill!

I thought the aliens were beautiful, and I loved their long, thin, graceful, muscular bodies!
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »
Not Raybans but not bad.     8)

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
How big are the 3D glasses lenses? Anyone?

Here they are, Bill!

I thought the aliens were beautiful, and I loved their long, thin, graceful, muscular bodies!

Even with those godawful glasses on, you're both STILL so damned good looking. It's simply not fair to folks like me - I hate you both!  :'(

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Mike,

How different is the director's cut from the theatrical version of Watchmen I was underwhelmed by the theatrical cut...it seemed visually stunning but lacked the inherent drama of the graphic novel since it was so condensed. The first "moving" scene was (SPOILER WARNING - DON'T SCROLL DOWN UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE)

When Rorschach (sp?) is killed at the end.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »
Mike,

How different is the director's cut from the theatrical version of Watchmen I was underwhelmed by the theatrical cut...it seemed visually stunning but lacked the inherent drama of the graphic novel since it was so condensed. The first "moving" scene was.....

What happens in the director's cut is not at all different from the theatrical cut so I suspect it wouldn't fix what you didn't like about it.  A few scenes unfold more slowly and with more detail, especially the last scene with Hollis Mason, the original Owl.  The difference is over 20 minutes, though, so it's quite a bit.

Though I had read the graphic novel and enjoyed it a lot, I have to admit that some parts of the film sped past me and didn't make much impact the first time I saw it, and I was able to better keep myself oriented within the plot this time.  So it felt more dramatic to me this time, and the machinations of (secret "bad guy") were clearer as they unfolded.